Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
gbsb

GFI receptacles

We have a 2010 Fuzion 383. When i got home today the gfi receptacles were not working the receptacle with the reset will not trip or reset. does this mean the recept is bad now power at any of the gfi recepts. george
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
66ken

If it will not reset you may have tripped a breaker in the panel. If that is not the case the GFI could be bad.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Seann
Permanent User Ban

Can also mean you have a short... get it checked by the dealer NOW
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
gbsb

Got up this morning early as usual and turned the breaker off for the GFI circuit. Removed the receptacle to check it out and it had a burnt place on the black wire coming into it. Looked like the receptacle was melted or burned a little. Went to Lowes bought a GFI receptacle rewired it turned the breaker back on and all is fine. May have been a loose connection on that wire. I think I will pull all my receptacles one at a time and check the conections for tightness. Thanks for the input. George
Old 02-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsb View Post
Got up this morning early as usual and turned the breaker off for the GFI circuit. Removed the receptacle to check it out and it had a burnt place on the black wire coming into it. Looked like the receptacle was melted or burned a little. Went to Lowes bought a GFI receptacle rewired it turned the breaker back on and all is fine. May have been a loose connection on that wire. I think I will pull all my receptacles one at a time and check the conections for tightness. Thanks for the input. George
you'll find all the other recepticals are likely self contained "vampire" backstabs that you can't tighten. A tool is used to press the insulated wire into a knife edge to make contact. Then a cover is placed over them sealing it up. The GFI outlet is the home type so it can be tightened.

These self contained backstabs are known for becoming intermittent with high current loads since there is a VERY small contact area with the wire. Interestingly this style of backstabs are no longer allowed in residential construction by NEC, but apparently are still allowed in trailers.

residential backstabs now must use a screw to tighten the bare wire against a plate to give more surface area like you saw on the GFI. Of course, if the screw isn't tightened, doesn't do much good.

Replacing the trailer outlets with a residential outlet entails installing a "old work" outlet box and a residential outlet. Problem is that the shallowest outlet box is often deeper than the trailer wall.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
gbsb

I guess there isn't much you can do. We don't have many outlets anyway. Don't use recepts much a electric heater or two a clock a coffee pot. Thanks for the input . George