Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Chippewa93

Walmart parking lots

Looking for I formation / experiences staying overnight in Walmart Parking lots. Looking at staying at Gaylord & Ludington MI. On a long vacation trip
Chippewa93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you use the forum's search feature and type in "Walmart Parking Lot", quite a number of previously written posts about staying overnight at Walmart will appear for you to browse through. If you don't find enough information by reading these older posts, you can always resubmit your post here again. Let us know how you make out with the search.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
B&T

My Walmart parking list which is about 1-1/2 years old does not have either store marked as NOP. But maybe you should call the stores just to make sure.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippewa93 View Post
Looking for I formation / experiences staying overnight in Walmart Parking lots. Looking at staying at Gaylord & Ludington MI. On a long vacation trip
I can't tell you much about Ludington, but the Gaylord WalMart sits right off of exit 282. When travelling north on I75, exit, turn left, go under the interstate to the first light (1 block) turn left, WalMart is about 1/2 mile on your right. There is a Ruby Tuesday across the street, a Bob Evans adjacent to the parking lot and a Chinese buffet in the next building of the shopping complex.

There are anywhere from 1 to 5 RV's parked there on many evenings. It seems that the Gaylord WalMart is a "destination location" for motorhomes towing snowmobiles during the winter. There are fewer overnight stays during the summer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippewa93 View Post
Seriously? People park their RVs at Walmart parking lots? I would not recommend this in Norfolk, VA. While visiting our son (stationed there in the Navy) we went to a nearby Walmart to pickup a coloring book and crayons for our grandkids. While walking back to the car, we were approached by an agitated young man, asking us to help him. We just kept walking and, suddenly, we heard gunfire and the young man began running toward the store. Apparently a drug deal gone bad, or something We were out of there in a hurry, let me tell you! I don't recall the exact location of this Walmart. My recommendation - don't stay at any Walmart in Norfolk.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
Seriously? People park their RVs at Walmart parking lots? I would not recommend this in Norfolk, VA. While visiting our son (stationed there in the Navy) we went to a nearby Walmart to pickup a coloring book and crayons for our grandkids. While walking back to the car, we were approached by an agitated young man, asking us to help him. We just kept walking and, suddenly, we heard gunfire and the young man began running toward the store. Apparently a drug deal gone bad, or something We were out of there in a hurry, let me tell you! I don't recall the exact location of this Walmart. My recommendation - don't stay at any Walmart in Norfolk.
The safety of certain areas in Norfolk is not an accurate reflection of Walmart. Personally, I wouldn't stay at a Walmart, but that goes for anywhere. The cost of the average overnight stay is worth the security of the gate. You just never know who is passing through a parking lot at any given time of the night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
One bad drug deal at a walmart does not make all Walmart's bad. I'm sure you could find a reason using that train of thought to label any city / race or sex bad.

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Bob Landry

This will get you started.

http://www.walmartatlas.com/no-park-walmarts/

Most Walmarts are RV friendly and allow overnight stays. They assume you are probably going to come in and buy something before you head out. The ones that do not allow usually do so because a local ordinance prohibits it, not because they don't want you there. Also a little common sense and etiquette will certainly be in order. I saw a trailer a one WalMart where the owners had lawn chairs set up and their sewer hose was connected. I hope they were only dumping grey water, but they shouldn't have been dumping anything. I guess the ghetto follows you even on the road.

Allstays also has an iPhone app for this.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Have stayed at Walmarts many nights on the road. :shrug:
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
cdawrld

Many stays for us too, no problems
cdawrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
jje1960

Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawrld View Post
Many stays for us too, no problems
I'm going to ditto this post. We have stayed at Walmart parking lot's many times over the years, common sense prevails, we have personally never been asked to leave however never done anything that would have caused us to be asked to leave. One of our favorites has been Emporia Va, happens to be half way to our Myrtle Beach vacation run.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
mikell

Ours is about a mile away and there's usually 8-10 semis and a couple of campers there every night. Have seen them grilling and chilling in the afternoon too
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
curlyfungirl

We are going to try Walmarting it on our first cross country trip this summer. If all goes well we will on the way home. If not, we will use campgrounds. Just trying to keep the costs down a bit and the excitement up.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
billb800si

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfungirl View Post
We are going to try Walmarting it on our first cross country trip this summer. If all goes well we will on the way home. If not, we will use campgrounds. Just trying to keep the costs down a bit and the excitement up.
==============================

Not much excitement in WalMart's but keeping the costs down helps when refueling $$$

Have fun & stay safe...

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:35 AM   #15
Travlntj

We have used Walmart many times when traveling cross country, no problems so far. There is a Walmart site on Yahoo groups which will let you know policies at individual stores. Cracker Barrel, flying J and Cabelas are also good places for an overnight stop.
Travlntj is offline   Reply With Quote