Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
BigCajun

Converter issues

Arrived at the camp Thanksgiving evening and set up and started enjoying the long weekend. Before retiring for the evening the wifey noticed the lights all getting pretty dim. After checking around, the 110 was working fine, but all 12v systems were getting dim. Oh, no, I have a fridge full of stuff! I turned off all 12v lights, tv booster, etc. Fridge made it till morning. My converter was not working. Went to town and purchased a battery charger to get me through the weekend.

So I accessed the converter and found two 40 amp fuses blown, one of them melted down. The ugly part is that the neutral wire going to the converter was loose, which probably caused all this mess. The lug was cross threaded at the factory and the dumb *** that installed it didn't bother to check it or replace it. I was able to tighten it up using my drill driver.

Back in business.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Flyguy

You might want to check the polarity from the converter to the battery, usually when those fuses go it's because of the battery being hooked up backwards. Those two fuses are there to protect against that as per the converter manual! Here's a link to my converter's manual. http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Inverter...ter/wf8900.pdf Notice the yellow highlighted part.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
BigCajun

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply. Neither the battery nor the cables had been disturbed for several months now. I am sure the loose neutral wire is the culprit as verified by my electrician.

He also relayed a story about a Fuzion that he checked out that had a loose neutral wire on the 110v side and continued to burn up microwaves, tv's and converters until the repair shop finally found the loose wire.

I also heard of another story of a loose wire in the automatic transfer switch causing some 110v outtages on a Raptor.

Time to check all the connections!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
Agent 405

Big Cajun, I just received recall notice 10V-594 today from Keystone for the transfer switch. Keystone states that the transfer switch may not be installed to proper specification.

"Specifically if the set screw on the connector lug does not have sufficient torque, it could result in increased resistance and higher temperatures on the metal lugs. This condition may result in further degradation of the electrical connections, elevated case temperatures and an increased risk of appliance and other property damage"

This Recall is for 2009-2011 Keystone travel trailers and 5th wheels. If you haven't received a notice you should give them a call.

I have another post on this that you may want to read in the Recall section
Old 12-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
BigCajun

Thanks for the heads up! I have wanted to check that since my buddy had one burn up on his Raptor. I will check it before my next trip! Something so simple as to tighten the electrical lugs...boy it makes you wonder what else is loose.