Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Beachnut

Inverter Battery charger, + generator Batt charger, ok?

We just bought our first "hard sided" trailer, (we had pop ups for 25+ years), a new 2010 Outback 230RS. My question is about charging the batteries, and generators. We dry camp, and bought 2 Honda 2000 generators, the i, and its companion generator for when we need the air conditioner. Our 1 month old 2000i quit generating 120 VAC, but still puts out the DC, so it is now in for warranty repair. My process to charge the batteries, and run the microwave, etc. was to start the generator totally unplugged, wait a min. for it to warm up, then plug in the Honda Accessory. DC battery charging cord connected to the batteries into the generator, then plug in the 120 AC cord from the trailer into the generator. The DC battery charge cord out of the Honda will put out 8 amps when the generator is off its energy save mode, and rev'ed up. Every time I would plug in the 120 AC cord to the trailer, into the generator, (at the slower RPM / energy save mode "on", everything turned off), it would make a spark at the ac plug.

So my questions are:

How many amps will the trailer inverter put out to charge the batteries?
(I was told it was just a trickle / float charger by the dealer).

Am I creating some kind of short / feedback loop by putting the 8 amp output DC Honda gen. accessory cord on, AND plugging in the trailer 120vac cord in at the same time?

Is the spark normal when you plug in the 120vac? Nothing is turned on in the trailer when it is plugged in.
(The dealer checked the trailer out, after the generator failure and said it was all fine).

I read the inverter manual, but it says nothing about amperage output, just voltage. I want to get the batteries charged as fast as possible so as not to run the generator any longer than i have to. Am I doing something wrong, or did the generator just have a problem???

Thank You for any help.

Beachnut
Beachnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Your Outback has a three stage converter. (What do dealers know??) 1: It will rapid charge a low battery - 2: deliver 12v dc as needed while plugged into shore or gen. power. 3: Maintain (trickle) fully charged battery.
In my opinion (That and a buck and a half will get you a cup of coffee) Trying to charge both ways may damage either charging source. JM2¢, Hank

The converter DC out-put is not "clean" DC ... It uses the battery as a filter. This could have damaged the Honda.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
Ruffus

Exclamation Sounds Funny

Hey Beachnut
I have the same generators as you and I have never had one spark when connecting the cords. Your not trying to run the DC cable at the same time your plugging into the A/C are you?
Being a home inspector I would check to make sure that your grounds are all clean and tight. A loose lug would also cause a spark.
I also am on the Central Coast and my generators run fine when I need them even though they were bought in Florida.
Good luck finding the problem.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Seann
Permanent User Ban

IF you were getting a spark... then get it back to the dealer for warranty service...
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote