Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
sleeplightly

newbie questions

Ok first of all we are pretty darn excited that we picked up our 320bhs today. We are heading to a local private lake resort tomorrow and can't wait to try out the toy. Any first time advice and do I need to put some water in the black tanks before using we have the chemical packs for it just something I forgot to ask at the dealer. Thanks
sleeplightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Before using the toilet, we always make sure that there is some water in the black tank. Along with the water and any chemicals you might add, try adding some Calgon, a water softener, which will help prevent solids and other material from sticking to the sides of the tank and the sensors.

You should not leave your black tank dump valve open allowing all the waste material to flow out of the tank - if you are hooked up to sewer. If your tank is always "empty" it will dry out and leave behind solids which eventually build up over time. Instead, wait until your tank is almost full or you are ready to leave the campsite then pull the drain valve and empty your black tank of its contents. Your tank needs some "volume" when it is being flushed/drained - it helps keep the tank cleaner and operating more efficiently.

Have fun and enjoy your new toy.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
cabinfever

Being a newbie myself, I just recommend reading as much as you can about everything Rving! I have learned so much from this site and others, have flattend the learning curve by a bunch! Good luck and most importantly have fun!

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
mowin

Make sure you do not turn your HW on untill its full, and remember to turn it off before leaving/draining.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
fla-gypsy

Have fun and be prepared to laugh at yourself when you mess up. Don't sweat small things that may not be right and check all plumbing once you are hooked up to a water supply for leaks. RV plumbing gets bounced around a lot and can work loose. Always turn circuit breakers off at the box before plugging in or unplugging your power supply cord.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
TAZ23

All of the chemicals I have used (packs or liquids) tell you to flush them with about a gallon of water to start.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

ALL GREAT advice. The hot water heater. make sure it is off there may be a switch on the heater unit outside. make sure it is off then wait till the tank fills then open a hot water faucet.( bleed the air ) then turn on the out side swith. then you can turn it on and off electricaly or with gas from inside. make sure the out side switch is off when you drain it that way you will not burn out the element (electric). as far as the tanks you got great advice
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
sleeplightly

Thanks guys. We opened the valve on the hot water in the sink and allowed all air to be purged. Had a little confusion on how tbe dsi hot water tank worked. In my mind DSI stood for direct short indicator. Oh well thank goodness for internet and phones. It would be better if it wasn't raining sideways while all of this is going on. Gotta love it.
sleeplightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Before using the toilet, we always make sure that there is some water in the black tank. Along with the water and any chemicals you might add, try adding some Calgon, a water softener, which will help prevent solids and other material from sticking to the sides of the tank and the sensors.

Learn something new almost every day here! Would never have thought of using Calgon. Will definitely give that a try before our maiden voyage. How much would you usually add, and how often? I ask how often because some chemicals may cling better than others to stuff, and thus not need to be replinished all the time. I imagine, though, that you would have to each time after you empty the tank.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Cougarfamily -
I keep several small containers of Calgon in the bathroom cabinet and pour about a 1/2 cup or so in a gallon, stir it up and dump it into the toilet AFTER I have emptied and flushed the black water tank.

I don't use the black tank flush nor do I use Calgon after each and every dump of the tank. As a rough guide, I try to use it after every 2nd or 3rd emptying of the black tank.

Using Calgon doesn't guarantee that your sensor will read 100% accurately all the time. What it does do, is to keep the interior walls of this tank "slippery" so that solids don't adhere as well to the sides.

It is a cheap product, readily available (at least here in Canada) and in addition to making the walls of the tank slippery, it has a "freshening" odour to it that helps keep the tank smelling "good" - if that is possible.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
geo

One can also use Arm & Hammer WASHING Soda. Note: Not BAKING Soda. Washing Soda is in a blue box. It has the same "active ingredient" as Calgon and fabric softener, but lack the pleasing scent. Basically, it's sodium carbonate. I usually dump a cup dissolved in water down the toilet after dump along with tank chemical.

Do a search on the Forum on "sodium carbonate". I did a post a couple of years ago on several uses for this handy chemical.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Cougarfamily -
I keep several small containers of Calgon in the bathroom cabinet and pour about a 1/2 cup or so in a gallon, stir it up and dump it into the toilet AFTER I have emptied and flushed the black water tank.

I don't use the black tank flush nor do I use Calgon after each and every dump of the tank. As a rough guide, I try to use it after every 2nd or 3rd emptying of the black tank.

Using Calgon doesn't guarantee that your sensor will read 100% accurately all the time. What it does do, is to keep the interior walls of this tank "slippery" so that solids don't adhere as well to the sides.

It is a cheap product, readily available (at least here in Canada) and in addition to making the walls of the tank slippery, it has a "freshening" odour to it that helps keep the tank smelling "good" - if that is possible.
Thanks for the info.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
UsTwo

Cougar family..
Hi there... everyone has such great answers...I also use Calgon water softner.. But i take it a step further.. And i use the GEO Method..
I don't remember how i came about this site, but this cat breaks it all down for you..And i have not had to buy any tank chemicals for a couple years now... Below please find the link to the Geo Method.. of Black and Gray tanks.
thanks have fun
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote