Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
jrb988

Trailer Sway

I have a 2012 Outback 272RK that I pull with a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. I have the 5.7L Hemi with the 3.92 gears and factory tow package. My sway problem is with passing tractor trailers or large motorhomes. Not even sure if that's considered trailer sway. More like when they pass I feel the trailer move toward that lane. When we bought the camper the rv dealer installed a Pro Series WDH along with an add on sway bar. I'm wondering if adding a second sway bar would help or if I should upgrade to an Equalizer or Reese Dual Cam hitch. We only make 2 trips a year where we use the interstate system so most of our trips are on state or local roads where speeds are lower so I'm not effected by passing vehicles. Thank for any info!
jrb988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
fla-gypsy

A better hitch will improve that but it is normal to feel the wave of air being pushed by other vehicles. The bigger and faster the vehicle the greater the impact to you.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
camper 2010

Check your air pressure in your tires. I don't know what your trailer pressure should be, but around 65 psi is normal. If you have tires on your truck for a smooth ride they may not have the stiff sidewalls to handle the trailer. People with 1500 trucks will go with P tires for the better ride but for towing you may need LT.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Friction sway bars are less effective on trailers longer than 22' or so. The longer the trailer, the less effective, even if you double up.

The DC or Equalizer is a much better choice. FWIW, your Pro Series hitch is a Cequent hitch. I am 99% certain that you can add a DC to what you already have. If your trunnion arms have the DC tab on them, you are almost there. If they don't, check with your dealer to see if your arms can be swapped for DC arms. Reese also offers a mod kit to use the DC on other WD systems.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
Javi

I’m going to go against the grain and recommend you install a second friction sway bar... Contrary to some folks I find a second bar very effective with trailers over 25' in length... I pull a 32’ 9” long X 10’ 9” high trailer and use both a left and right hand EAZ Lift Friction Sway bar…
Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Brantlaker

Sway

I had that problem with my 30ft Kodiak and one of the things that really helped was weight behind the TT wheels both my gray and black tanks were in the rear. what I would do is fill the black tank halfway. The weight helps to keep it stable. Another thing that helped me was to take my foot off the gas as the tractor/trailer was going by.What really fixed the problem was the anti sway built into my new F250. I brought the TT down South with the old truck than drove around Fl. with the new one I could not believe the difference. No sway at all that I could notice. (my old truck was a 2004 F250)

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Escs36

I have the 4 way friction Equilizer set up for my 35' TT and experienced absolutely no sway in high desert winds even at 65 mph. My TV is a dual rear truck though. When I took delivery of the trailer and returned the trailer for warranty work, I did not use the Equilizer set up and the TV and TT were rock solid in the city with speeds up to 55 mph. I think TV is the biggest factor.

2013 Keystone Fuzion 301, Dual A/C's, Fantastic Fan 6600R, Upgraded stereo with an amplifier and subwoofer, Dirt Devil Central Vac, Dewalt pancake compressor, Black and Decker Space Maker Coffee maker, Cabinet above garage entry door, 5# mattress topper 2.5" thick
Escs36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
jrb988

Thanks for all the responses. I'm looking at two options. I can upgrade to LT tires or add air bags and the Equalizer/second sway bar. With my Ram having the 20" rims the tires are as expensive as the second option so I can only do one or the other. Any thoughts as to which option would be better for towing? And also with air bags to level up the truck are LT a must?
jrb988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #9
audio1der

Hi JRB. I have a similar setup, and will say the bags do help, esp. for the $88 they cost. A friction controller and bags should cost exponentially less than a set of 20" LT tires.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
LeeMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb988 View Post
I have a 2012 Outback 272RK that I pull with a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. I have the 5.7L Hemi with the 3.92 gears and factory tow package. My sway problem is with passing tractor trailers or large motorhomes. Not even sure if that's considered trailer sway. More like when they pass I feel the trailer move toward that lane. When we bought the camper the rv dealer installed a Pro Series WDH along with an add on sway bar. I'm wondering if adding a second sway bar would help or if I should upgrade to an Equalizer or Reese Dual Cam hitch. We only make 2 trips a year where we use the interstate system so most of our trips are on state or local roads where speeds are lower so I'm not effected by passing vehicles. Thank for any info!
For absolutely NO sway, you would go with a Hensley Hitch. Lifetime guarantee.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
CampDestinations.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper 2010 View Post
Check your air pressure in your tires. I don't know what your trailer pressure should be, but around 65 psi is normal. If you have tires on your truck for a smooth ride they may not have the stiff sidewalls to handle the trailer. People with 1500 trucks will go with P tires for the better ride but for towing you may need LT.
I'd second this before you shell out cash on parts. Make sure your trailer tires are at the MAX cold air psi rating, and your truck tires are the same. If you haven't already done this, you're likely getting sidewall flex.

Also, check your trailers loaded tongue weight. If you've loaded too heavily in the back and thrown this off you'll experience more "sway".

I've also noticed traveling much above 60mph heightens the feeling of sway from passing trucks. I have the Reese dual cam, airbags, correct tire pressures and will still get a little push from the big rigs but it's controllable.