Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
davidjsimons

Fueling Options.

What are the best and easiest fueling options heading through the Florida Keys for diesel fuel while towing a trailer? Or are there enough stops where this is not a big issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Keeper

Based on your photo avatar, you won't have a problem. Even larger rigs are OK but may have to be selective about what station to pull into. There are places all along the Keys to get diesel. When I go to the Keys, I like to fill up just before entering the Keys. That's enough fuel to get anywhere in the Keys.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
davidjsimons

I was thinking about topping off in the Homestead area, this would allow me to make it on to Big Pine Key, unhook and get set up. I could then bobtail for fuel.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

"I was thinking about topping off in the Homestead area, this would allow me to make it on to Big Pine Key, unhook and get set up. I could then bobtail for fuel."

That is what I always do. Also , fuel is cheaper in Homestead. With slower speed limits (be careful .. school zones are 15mph and Big Pine 35mph at night because of deer are strictly enforced) You will have plenty of fuel.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
hankaye

davidjsimons, Howdy;

I use this for daily as well as traveling.
Just pick an click to get where you are or
want to go...

http://www.automotive.com/gas-prices/

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Keeper

Hey David, your avatar is deceiving! It looked like you were towing something small. Anyway, you still wouldn't have a problem even if you had to fuel up in the Keys but it's still a good idea to fill up before.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
davidjsimons

With this being my first travel trailer, a trip this far reminds me of taking my 22' center console eighty miles off the Virginia coast. I just want to make sure I have everything that I need and that nothing becomes an issue. In comparison though, if this trip goes bad, I can always get out and walk.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
With this being my first travel trailer, a trip this far reminds me of taking my 22' center console eighty miles off the Virginia coast. I just want to make sure I have everything that I need and that nothing becomes an issue. In comparison though, if this trip goes bad, I can always get out and walk.

In an emergency maybe you could get out and walk, but once you've driven on the Keys Highway.... or the "Narrows of Florida Causeway" as it is sometimes called, you'll come to realize that if you're stopped and try to open your door on almost any stretch of that bridge, you'll quickly learn that getting out and walking isn't an option.

No, it's not that bad, but the Overseas Highway is not a place you want to tackle without some preparation.

You're a wise man to get information on how best to get to Big Pine Key before you get to Florida City and ask, "Which way is Key West?"

But with your analysis, I'd rather have an issue there than in a 22' boat 80 miles offshore.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
davidjsimons

I lost a 212qt cooler on the seven mile bridge trying to leave ahead of a hurricane about twenty years ago. The wind was blowing so hard, it actually picked it up and blew it over the gunwale. That was my last trip on that stretch of road.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
cathcartww

We always stop at the last Service Plaza on the Florida Turnpike to top things off - It has a nice diesel fuel area designed for tractor trailers, so it is easy. There are a couple of stations when you get off the end of the Turnpike onto Route 1 that are suitable, but not as easy as the Service Plaza - it's worth the extra couple of cents you may pay.

In the Keys there is plenty of diesel, but it is much easier without the trailer.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote