Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #21
chris199

Check the numbers on the truck....but I suspect you re fine. Truck has factory tow packge?

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #22
Duvalfamilycampers

yes all vehicles we are looking at have factory package and HD cooler for tramsmission
Duvalfamilycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #23
bennydog

We towed our 24RKS Cougar dry weight of 5460 hitch of 450 from the book with an 07 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. The truck did OK, it was always the payload that troubled me. I seem to recall it was in the 1200 range and after you put me and the DW and the dog and the other junk in the truck I was left with about 800 lbs and the proper hitch weight to get the trailer to tow nicely was closer to 700lbs so I had to be real careful about what else we could take.
I know of a place called Duvall in Washington, we live across the valley from it toward Woodinville and there is no way out of town that is flat. You have to climb out of the valley to get anywhere. I finely tired of the 1/2 ton and moved up to a 2500 with the diesel this passed year. Will the match up work...yes...will you get hooked and buy a heavier trailer...yes, we are on our third trailer and now our 4th tow vehicle. Go as big as you can with the TV maybe it will last longer then one trailer.

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #24
Duvalfamilycampers

How close is hitch weight to what manufactors say.... I have a 4200 dry weight 2000 cargo capacity and 450 hitch...if the Dodge or Tundra has 8000 or 10000 capacity, would it not be easy to tow this TT?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #25
bennydog

I can't recall if Keystone is one of the manufactures that includes in their hitch weight things like batteries and full propane tanks or not. I think I understand that hitch weight should be 12% to 15% of the trailer weight. Having said that a trailer weighing 10,000 lbs should have a hitch weight of some where between 1200 and 1500 lbs so the cargo capacity of the truck that tows that trailer would need to be that number plus whatever else goes in the truck, like the driver. There are always at least 2 things to consider when looking at a TV.
Cargo capacity and trailer weight. We'll leave the wheel base conversation for another day . For the trailer you are looking at I suspect that either the Ram or the Tundra would do nicely.

In our trailer the fresh water tank is near the front of the trailer and I use that to adjust hitch weight to make the trailer behave back there.
I like the hitch weight to be closer to 15% the trailer just seems to tow better with more rather then less hitch weight.

B

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #26
chris199

My hitch wgt was easily 200 lbs over the brochure. My propane is in rear of TT so I suspect if you propane is up front it would be even more. Battery or batteries need to be added in addition to stuff stored up front in TT and in storage areas up front.

I have the 5.7L Tundra. At total trailer wgt of only 6700 lb or so, I am at max Payload with just my wife and I, hitch wgt of trailer, and small amt of stuff in truck. There is no way I can even approach towing 9600 lbs (max - new calculation) with the truck....payload would be far exceeded. That's the deceiving part of 1/2 ton trucks and towing capaciities.....you have to know what you are doing otherwise you can create a very unsafe condition for you and others on the road and, even worse, be unware of it.

Know Thy Numbers.....

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #27
Duvalfamilycampers

We pulled trigger tonight and purchased a 2008 Tundra 5.7 with 52k miles hopefully no issue pulling 230bhs.....how do you know if you have factory tow package it has small radiator on radiator..... can you tell if deal put towing package on??
Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #28
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalfamilycampers View Post
We pulled trigger tonight and purchased a 2008 Tundra 5.7 with 52k miles hopefully no issue pulling 230bhs.....how do you know if you have factory tow package it has small radiator on radiator..... can you tell if deal put towing package on??
The "towing package" really can not be installed by a dealer these days. It usually includes a different (larger capacity) alternator, oil and tranny coolers, factory style trailer wiring, factory WD receiver.

You have to check accessories noted on the ID plate somewhere under the hood.

The smaller radiator is usually the tranny cooler. My Dodge has a sandwich of at least two radiators plus something in there for the A/C as well.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #29
rrohrer

sounds like your describing the transmission cooler. you'll need that. you were gonna tow trailer with a jeep G.C., so you are definitely gonna be more comfortable now. Don't forget you'll need a brake controller and weight dist. hitch with sway control. also. I used to drive motorcycle and I tow my camper kinda the same. Not too fast, leave room between you and vehicle in front of you, and watch for intersections that someone might pull out in front of you quickly. drive knowing tht your stopping distance is longer.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #30
Duvalfamilycampers

Made the decision after much consideration. Pick up new Bullet 281BHS. We love the TT, We decided that the Tundra will be able to handle the load....down the road we will get a 3/4 ton but decided that get our next trailer first. Very excited we'll be asking alot of advice from this forum.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #31
rrohrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalfamilycampers View Post
Made the decision after much consideration. Pick up new Bullet 281BHS. We love the TT, We decided that the Tundra will be able to handle the load....down the road we will get a 3/4 ton but decided that get our next trailer first. Very excited we'll be asking alot of advice from this forum.
congrats. enjoy your new tt and tv!