Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #21
Katt

28rbs vs 29rbk

Just to let you know the 28 is about 100 lbs lighter but has more tongue weight. The 28 also has 2 grey tanks. Either way definetly do tow max or 3/4T.
Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #22
fireidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf28 View Post
I agree with having his ecoboost checked out at the dealer. I pull my tt like a diesel. It didn't even labor through the mountains in WV. And i was loaded to the max. There has been numerous programming upgrades from Ford for the engine and transmission. You might want to have it checked out.
I'll give them a call today.

Oh yeah, is the emergency brake pedal supposed to be pushed to the floor all the time?

I asked my boss for a 1 ton with duals, but he wasn't buying it. Seems the gas milage is better on the truck at 18mpg, than the old E150 at 11mpg
Old 07-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
mjhaa43

lol we who have the ecoboost know what it can do if u dont have one DONT TALK ABOUT IT DRIVE IT THEN SAY SOMETHINK THANKS NOW LET ALL GO CAMPING AND HAVE FUN !!!
mjhaa43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #24
Nimbus

I have a 2012 Ecoboost for my daily work truck. Last week I pulled a 7,500# tractor on a 1,500# bumper pull trailer 250 miles including climbing a mt pass through the Cascade Mts (Snoqualmie).

The truck had oodles of power but I had to move the tractor on the trailer twice to stop the trailer fromm having excess sway. The Ecoboost did the job but the suspension was a bit too light.

I pull my 2013 21' Cougar TT with a 2012 Tundra that I purchased new in January. The Tundra is a much better tow vehicle than the Ecoboost in my humble opinion. It would have been interesting to have pulled the tractor behind the Tundra just for comparision.

It should be noted that I'm a Ford man at heart & traded in 2008 powerstoke F350 for the Tundra.

In short, the Ecoboost has impressive power but at the end of the day it's still a half-ton.
Nimbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #25
EcoboostKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I have a 2012 Ecoboost for my daily work truck. Last week I pulled a 7,500# tractor on a 1,500# bumper pull trailer 250 miles including climbing a mt pass through the Cascade Mts (Snoqualmie).

The truck had oodles of power but I had to move the tractor on the trailer twice to stop the trailer fromm having excess sway. The Ecoboost did the job but the suspension was a bit too light.

I pull my 2013 21' Cougar TT with a 2012 Tundra that I purchased new in January. The Tundra is a much better tow vehicle than the Ecoboost in my humble opinion. It would have been interesting to have pulled the tractor behind the Tundra just for comparision.

It should be noted that I'm a Ford man at heart & traded in 2008 powerstoke F350 for the Tundra.

In short, the Ecoboost has impressive power but at the end of the day it's still a half-ton.
The Tundra is still a half ton also!
Considering the tundra Crewmax probably has less payload than the F150 Screw i dont think it would have done any better towing that much weight. Did you have a WD hitch on the trailer when you towed it?? Also you said you moved the tractor a couple times because of sway. The farther back on the trailer that tractor sits the less weight you have on the tongue and rear of truck which is asking for a sway problem. Even though they are both half tons, i would be far more reluctant to overload the Tundra than the Ford but that's just me.
https://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...11_748-1-1.jpg
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #26
Nimbus

No, I did not have a WDH on the utility trailer. I agree that the Tundra is still a half ton but it seems to be able to handle a heavy load better. I have pulled my 22' boat with both & the Tundra has a definite edge in towing abilty over my EcoBoost. Power is similar but I will admit that the Ecoboost gets much better mileage when emtpy than my Tundra. Loaded, mileage seems to be about the same.

I have averaged a new pickup truck every two years (most used in my employment) since 1982 so I've owned a bunch of trucks. My friends & family were stunned when I bought the Tundra in January but I let my wife make the final decision & I'm even surprised how much I like the Toyota.

Our business purchased five new Ecoboosts this January & some of the employees who recieved them were peeved that they got a "six-cylinder". They all love them now & we plan to buy more.

Mine will roll over 21,000 miles tomorrow as I drive over the hump (Casades Mts) to the Skagit area. Not bad since January!

BTW, my Tundra is a Double cab & my F150 Ecoboost is an extended cab.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
Nimbus

Picture of the two beasts!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #28
EcoboostKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Picture of the two beasts!
Nice setup!!!
https://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...11_748-1-1.jpg
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #29
richf28

I have talked to people in campgrounds that have the Tundra and I can honestly say I never heard any of them complain. I sometimes think it's how comfortable we are in the TV itself in general on how we feel while towing. My son just bought an F250 ext cab with 6.5 box and he said he liked towing with his old chevy 1500 better. Though the Ford has more power. I towed with his Ford and found I was more comfortable with my Ecoboost. Guess it's how use to the vehicle we are.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #30
RDB

I have a 2012 F-150 XLT S/Crew, EcoBoost, HD Package, 3.73, & Max Tow package towing a 2012 Outback 301BQ. Pleny of power, Great tow vehicle. Get the tail gate step, backup sensors and rearview camera.....you will be glad you did. Non towing at 65 I get 21+mpg. Towing 9.5 Mpg
RDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #31
fireidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev View Post
I'm not trying to start a thread war. The OP said he is interested in this particular trailer and a F150 Ecoboost. He is trying to learn and his head is spinning! Why would you confuse him more by saying a Chevy 5.3L out tows the Ecoboost?? FIREIDIOT, I would have your work truck looked at by the dealer. There is obviously something wrong...
I owe all you Ecoboost owners an apology. My work vehicle 2011 F150 S/C Ecoboost had to be "reflashed" > by the dealer yesterday. The also found something blocking the air intake port. This truck runs completely different now. On another note, while I was at the dealer I looked at an F250 to replace my Silverado for pulling my 29RBK, and the salesman was pushing me towards the Ecoboost. lol
Old 08-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #32
RedOne

As my first post I have to comment that I have one and a pull a 2013 29RES X-Lite 5er. It pulls like a dream and we have not had on problem with either one. I will recommend the Max Tow package. It adds so much more than just added payload.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5' Chrome/Conv/Offroad/Tow/+ Packages,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs,Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder
RedOne is offline   Reply With Quote