Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2021, 02:38 AM   #1
azz101462

Fresh Water Drain

Hello All

looking for a photo or a plumbing diagram of the fresh water tank/drain for a 2005 Keystone Toy Hauler Model 3512, for the life of me i can not locate the drain, found 3 on the underbelly, all have caps but none appear to the drain for the fresh water tank, i added 4 gal of antifreeze to the fresh water tank and when i open all the ones visible on the underside none of them drain antifreeze, so I'm not sure what's going on or if there is another drain someplace. any info would be greatly appreciated

thank you
Scott A.
azz101462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:23 AM   #2
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz101462 View Post
Hello All

looking for a photo or a plumbing diagram of the freshwater tank/drain for a 2005 Keystone Toy Hauler Model 3512, for the life of me i can not locate the drain, found 3 on the underbelly, all have caps but none appear to the drain for the fresh water tank, i added 4 gal of antifreeze to the fresh water tank and when i open all the ones visible on the underside none of them drain antifreeze, so I'm not sure what's going on or if there is another drain someplace. any info would be greatly appreciated

thank you
Scott A.
1st, never add antifreeze to the FW tank. Just drain it. If you are trying to add antifreeze to the water lines for winterization use the pump with a 2' hose stuck into the jug it came in. If you know where the FW tank is, the drain will be directly below it. You may have to open a valve in the water bay. You will also find a vent/overflow line either sticking down or within the fill port if you have one.

The other 2 you found were the Low Point drains. Could both be white or they could be red and blue.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:26 AM   #3
azz101462

Well I would not have put antifreeze in the FW tank if I could drain it, that's the problem I can't locate the drain. Just got a reply from keystone saying they do not have plumbing diagrams, so they were no help. Next step will be to drop the cover on the bottom and see if I can locate the drain unless someone has any other suggestions
Old 01-26-2021, 06:38 AM   #4
cavie

Do you have a fill port on the side of the RV? The drain will be directly under that. You may have a valve in a wet bay if you have one.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:07 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

We're talking about a 2005 model year trailer that is probably a "new to you" trailer. There is no way of knowing what a previous owner (or owners) may have done either as a "quick fix" in the field or a "sloppy patch job just to get it off their hands at sale time"...

So, there may well not be a "drain hose/cap (or valve) on YOUR trailer. But trust me when I say that there was one installed when it left the factory.

Crawl under your trailer on a creeper or a large cardboard sheet (old box) and spend some time "studying the Coroplast underbelly". You will, I'll almost guarantee" see an "old hole" probably filled with expanding foam, under the fresh water tank area. The "missing drain" is located in that foam. Use your finger or a flat blade screwdriver to "CAREFULLY" dig the foam away from the underlying structure. You'll find the drain or a "previous owner installed plug" in the foam.

Keystone has, since the company was founded, NEVER released electrical, plumbing, construction schematics or plans. They "claim" that is "confidential manufacturer's data". In reality, it's probably so they can avoid the claims of "misrouted/miss built/miss plumbed" trailer claims, since every trailer is essentially a "one of a kind" as it rolls down the assembly line..... What better way to avoid criticism from the public than to not provide proof that their trailer is not the same as the next door neighbor's trailer and your (Keystone's) plans prove it.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:11 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

If he found 3 lines with caps already under the trailer, should not that be, 1 cold water line, 2 hot water line and 3 fresh water tank drain?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #7
azz101462

I have been under it many times trying to locate the drain, I'm going to drop the underbelly cover to find out if the previous owner did do something shabby or make shift to cover it up, will not be surprised if they did. I believe you that it had one when it was built. Going to be a bit before I get to it, it's in winter storage but I will definitely let you know what I find, thanks for the replies
Old 01-26-2021, 09:27 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

If you only put 4 gallons of antifreeze in the tank, it may be sitting in there and the tank may be distorted enough not to allow it to drain.

If you do have 3 tubes with caps, I would add about 10-15 gallons to the fresh tank and then try taking the caps off one at a time. Low point drains are usually next to each other so the one off by itself should be the fresh tank drain.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:32 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Those 3 lines with caps, most likely two are closer together. They will be hot and cold low point drains, both will be white as they didn't use red and blue pex lines back then. The third line "sanding alone" will be the fresh water tank drain..

Remove the cap. If water doesn't flow it may be clogged with debris. If you have compressed air a short puff of air may clear it ot take a stiff wire like a straightened out wire cloths hanger and gently push it into the open line. FWIW you can just run the water out of the tank with the pump. Any remaining water in the tank will not harm it by freezing. It would in effect be like a large ice cube tray. Locate the FW pump. If it doesn't have a valve on the intake of the pump with a hose that's unattached on the other end then buy a "pump winterizing kit" and install it. Then turn the valve, place the hose in the jug of antifreeze and open one valve at a time until it runs the same color as the antifreeze. Make sure to place the water heater in bypass as it should be drained with NO antifreeze in the water heater tank.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, water