Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #21
LadyFaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda57 View Post
I wouldn't assume that your hitch was set up correctly. My last trailer was 28 feet and towed behind a 3/4 Chevrolet. They set up my Equal-i-zer sway control hitch.When I towed it home it also swayed. Set it up correctly and that corrected my problem. I would go to the manufacture of the hitch's web site for the set up procedure, and verify it was done correctly. I see a lot of 1/2 ton short wheel bases vehicles towing long trailers, some sway and some don't.

When I got the new tires on my camper, it was storming out. The facility (they advertise themselves as being a CAMPER REPAIR DEPOT) hitched the camper up and brought it around to me. I ran out through the pouring rain and hopped in. Got less than a mile down the road and realized they had NOT hitched me up correctly. 2 lane road with no shoulders and MILES between cross/access streets. Thunder, lightning (lots of both) and torrential downpours. No cover anywhere nor ground solid enough to use the front jack to raise things enough to get the stabilizer bars hooked up tightly. I slowed WAY down and continued home. I now know what hauling that camper would be like without a weight distribution hitch! It was sunfishing and porpoising like crazy if I went over 40MPH. With the hitch on PROPERLY, you hardly notice the camper is back there at all - no swaying, no sunfishing, nothing. I think that hitch was the most valuable 'accessory' I bought for my camper.

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #22
Ken / Claudia

People on here keep bringing up a travel trailer does not tow like a cargo, flat bed trailer etc.
They are 100 % right.
I have been towing current trailer since new with 1 ton CC long wheelbase. This is about my 7 RV.
Last week I rented a dump trailer that had 14000 GVWR. Bed was 14 ft long, trailer around 18 ft long. With 3 yards of rock at about 4 tons according to scale. It is the heaviest load I have pulled. It did not pull like a RV at all. Hard to describe, but maybe it was rock solid pulling at freeway speed. I am guessing as others have pointed out. It is the lower height of the load, and lower overall size of the trailer vs the giant sail that catches the wind of a full size RV.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #23
Gunny Mike

I tow my 38.3' Outback with a 2006 F250 with a 6.0 and don't feel comfortable driving it faster then 65 mph. I feel like it's starts to sway a bit at 70.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #24
Thoremilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmadness View Post
Towing travel trailer with Yukon Denali. Trailer is 29' Passport with one slide
Weighs around 7k I have equalizer bars the RV dealer set up the hitch at purchase. At around 65 Mph I can really feel the trailer sway. I also need to keep my tanks empty when towing, as I feel it helps. I have checked all the obvious things like tire pressure. But can't seem to drive very comfortably without it swaying and have to stay around 60. I see trailers going past me with no problem. anyone have any suggestions, fairly new to travel trailers,
Dollars to donuts your overweight or you have too much in the rear of the trailer. I have a 5th wheel and 60 is max. I can run 75 with no problem but the equipment takes a pounding for the sake of 15 minutes.
Thoremilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #25
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoremilly View Post
Dollars to donuts your overweight or you have too much in the rear of the trailer. I have a 5th wheel and 60 is max. I can run 75 with no problem but the equipment takes a pounding for the sake of 15 minutes.
Is your Yukon the 1500 or the 2500 model?
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #26
razor 68

you did not mention if your Yukon was 1/2 or 3/4 ton. check your hitch ball height compared to your levelled trailer coupler height. tongue low and trailer bounces- tongue to high and trailer dog walks(sways). load as much as possible to center of camper. check into a swaybar setup for your hitch-hear a lot of longtime campers call their weight distribution bars sway bars when they are not for that purpose. if your camper squats you then think about air lift bags.
razor 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #27
razor 68

I previously pulled a 8k tt with a 01 ram 1500 and know what a good crosswind can do to whiten your knuckles but drug it all over the place (at 9mpg). I currently pull a 11k tt around with a 10 k2500 and a pumped-up Duramax so I can also respect what other people are saying. it is a night and day difference. my current rig could care less and averages 18mpg pulling my tt down the interstate at 75. do what you can afford to do and be safe--sometimes you just have to take your time getting there and enjoy the trip.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor 68 View Post
I previously pulled a 8k tt with a 01 ram 1500 and know what a good crosswind can do to whiten your knuckles but drug it all over the place (at 9mpg). I currently pull a 11k tt around with a 10 k2500 and a pumped-up Duramax so I can also respect what other people are saying. it is a night and day difference. my current rig could care less and averages 18mpg pulling my tt down the interstate at 75. do what you can afford to do and be safe--sometimes you just have to take your time getting there and enjoy the trip.
Pulling an 11K trailer @ 18 mpg? Was that 75 mph a tailwind or was that on bio diesel made from the beans from Jack's beanstalk ?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:12 PM   #29
Roose17

Had similar issues. How we solved it might not be a viable option, nor one you have not already heard. However we did find having the below information was powerful.

Load up the trailer and TV with everything/everyone you take on a typical trip. Then hit the nearest CAT scale to get your actual weights. (with trailer hooked up and without) Then compare these to the door sticker on the TV.

You may find dramatically downsizing your payload in both the TV and the trailer helpful.
Roose17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #30
wiredgeorge

It appears the weight police squad has chased away an overloaded Yukon owner. The OP is 8 days since checking in. The horse is dead.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:12 AM   #31
razor 68

yes flybouy I get 18mpg pulling my camper and 24mpg empty. my Duramax made 586hp and 1242ft/lbs on rollerdyno. if your driving a gasser or a stock diesel you would not understand. no disrespect meant. s&b fresh air breather,efi live controller,borla exhaust,egr delete, demented diesel intercooler,,oversized injectors
Old 08-25-2020, 06:24 AM   #32
Brantlyj

Quote:
yes flybouy I get 18mpg pulling my camper and 24mpg empty. my Duramax made 586hp and 1242ft/lbs on rollerdyno. if your driving a gasser or a stock diesel you would not understand. no disrespect meant. s&b fresh air breather,efi live controller,borla exhaust,egr delete, demented diesel intercooler,,oversized injectors
I can vouch for this. I have a customer with a chipped and deleted 1-ton. He’s punching 20 mpg pulling a fully loaded horse trailer.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:29 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
I can vouch for this. I have a customer with a chipped and deleted 1-ton. He’s punching 20 mpg pulling a fully loaded horse trailer.
I'd ask: What is the "cost" the rest of us are paying for this "buildout of a clean diesel engine" in increased pollution to the air that all of us breathe"?????

The objective of "emissions control" is to reduce the airborne pollution that affects all of us. Does this kind of modification to a truck affect the rest of us negatively? and: Does it meet federal guidelines for emissions control??? If it does, where do I sign up for the mods? If it doesn't, is it even legal ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I'm not unfamiliar with deleted or modified diesels (or gassers for that matter). Have several friends that have deleted diesels.

Removing the EPA stuff can improve efficiency but that only goes so far. After you reach the maximum efficiency improvement then the only way you increase power is with more fuel, air and compression.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #35
razor 68

yes I am guilty of being not so clean anymore. I live in a small farming community and between the old grain trucks and semis around here I am very clean. not to mention all the tractors burning non low sulfer fuel. compared to the local cummins and powerstrokes I put out very little black smoke. no compliance testing in my area!sorry guys- that I cannot deny but sure do like suprising sportscars on the highway.lol
Old 08-25-2020, 08:23 AM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
You can personally vouch for this? So you're saying that that you have traveled with and calculated the mpg or are you passing on what was said?
Old 08-25-2020, 08:53 AM   #37
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You can personally vouch for this? So you're saying that that you have traveled with and calculated the mpg or are you passing on what was said?
After the last time I stated something as fact and several people told me in no uncertain terms that I didn’t know how to quantify the effectiveness of marketing for my own business and I was making numbers up I’m not getting into this again.

I have no reason to lie, inflate or otherwise mislead to strangers on the internet. Either you believe what I’m saying or not. There’s no reason to question me.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:53 AM   #38
razor 68

I have a friend with a twin turbo setup on a 5.9cummins that measured over 700hp and gets better mpg than another camping buddy with a bone stock 2018 ram 2500.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
After the last time I stated something as fact and several people told me in no uncertain terms that I didn’t know how to quantify the effectiveness of marketing for my own business and I was making numbers up I’m not getting into this again.

I have no reason to lie, inflate or otherwise mislead to strangers on the internet. Either you believe what I’m saying or not. There’s no reason to question me.
I never claimed that you "lie, inflate or otherwise mislead to strangers on the internet". As to "Either you believe what I’m saying or not. There’s no reason to question me." well, I think there's every reason to question whether a claim like that is a witnessed fact or if it's something that's "passed on" from someone else. I don't know you so I have no basis to either "blindly" believe nor disbelieve what you say. I have heard many questionable claims around the campfire, standing in someone's garage, or at the rod and gun club. I like fact over "anecdotal fishing stories". If you choose to "blindly believe" everyone and everything they say then I wish you luck.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #40
razor 68

I cannot attest to everyones expertise but I have run a automotive repair shop for 20 years. I began by running a 70 Chevelle at the local dragstrip at 19 with a swapped out twin carbed-nitrous fed 327. we have 2 good diesel performance shops just 20 miles up the road and I have personally seen numbers over 1000 on the dyno. in my area if you cannot put 20k of hay bales behind it then your not in the loop.to each his own