Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2020, 07:02 AM   #1
Bbouch84

Bumper rack

we have a 2020 bullet 261rbs and i am thinking on putting a folding rack/basket on the rear. Ive seen and heard of horror stories of the square tube getting ripped on the back.. ive searched my owners manual and can not find any sort of weight rating. Is this a good idea?? What are some reccomendations.
Bbouch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Bad idea IMHO. There are many, many posts concerning this. It's just about a unanimous consensus not to put anything more than a spare tire carrier and that's pushing it. A spare tire carrier places the load over the number mainly. A receiver and hitch basket places the load behind the number on a lever which intensifies the torque on the number causing it to twist.

I said"just about unanimous" because a very few people after receiving this advice will say something to the effect of "well I'm going to try it". I always ask them to let us know how it works out. To my knowledge no ever has. My guess, after picking up the remains from the highway and paying someone to weld on a new bumper they are too embarrassed to admit they were wrong.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Trying to find a "maximum weight rating" on a 4" 18 gauge square tube is like trying to find the maximum PSI rating on a Walgreen's 99 cent vinyl multicolor beach ball.... Some break at 5 PSI some at 15 PSI.. but none of them will hold at "maximum PSI, if they're filled in the shade and left out in the sun on the beach all afternoon....

It's the same with those "lightweight square bumpers". Some are reinforced at the factory, some are tack welded at strategic points so they won't fall off going down the road and some are bolted to the end of the I-beam with sheet metal screws.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link is also true with rear bumpers. Is it the attachment to the frame rail, the welds on the extension arm, the tack welds on the bumper tube or is it the bumper tube itself that will rip away and fail.... And, which "max weight" will be bouncing up when the trailer is bouncing down that causes the break in which component ????

Best to just cut to the chase and avoid all the "what if's" .... Install a receiver hitch and follow the "max weight limitations" on a component that IS designed to carry a cargo platform and that has been tested by the manufacturer for weight ratings.... RV manufacturers suggest not to install a hitch receiver on the bumper and that's about the same as saying, "If you leave your beachball out in the sun......."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Trying to find a "maximum weight rating" on a 4" 18 gauge square tube is like trying to find the maximum PSI rating on a Walgreen's 99 cent vinyl multicolor beach ball....

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link is also true with rear bumpers. Is it the attachment to the frame rail, the welds on the extension arm, the tack welds on the bumper tube or is it the bumper tube itself that will rip away and fail.... And, which "max weight" will be bouncing up when the trailer is bouncing down that causes the break in which component ????

Best to just cut to the chase and avoid all the "what if's" .... Install a receiver hitch and follow the "max weight limitations" on a component that IS designed to carry a cargo platform and that has been tested by the manufacturer for weight ratings.... RV manufacturers suggest not to install a hitch receiver on the bumper and that's about the same as saying, "If you leave your beachball out in the sun......."
I think I'd follow his advise.... I've looked at my 4" bumper and I have second thoughts of leaving the spare tire on there....JMHO...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
Bbouch84

Good feedback and info guys! It is actually fully welded to the frame. How ever begining to think it is not a good idea and i dont want to risk it
TV: 2014 Ram 1500 QC 5.7L 8spd 3:21 gears

1st camper: 2001 Aero Cub C19
Current Camper: 2020 Bullet 261rbs
Bbouch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
Sarge2

You Sir, are a wise man.....
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I know a guy that built his camp on a nearby lake on 4x4 pressure treated post beams. It sure looks nice from the top, but walk across the floor in any room and you'll immediately get the feeling that there should be "hand rails on all the walls".... Any structure is only as strong as it's weakest link... In the rear bumper, two or three "weak components" makes for multiple "weakest links"...

It becomes a question of: Which weakest link will be weakest in which situation and WHEN (not if) it will fail.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-08-2020, 07:32 AM   #8
kjohn

What are some reccomendations?

Just let a few TTs pass on the highway and watch the bicycles flop up and down. Scary to watch some of them.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:52 AM   #9
travelin texans

IMHO those 4" bumpers are rated to whatever the weight of an extra long stinky slinky & not 1 ounce more. I didn't haul the hose in mine due to rust rubbing holes in the hose in a few miles.
Only attach whatever items you won't necessarily miss when it's lying along side the road back a ways & hopefully didn't take out the vehicle behind you.
Seriously although they are welded all around at the frame doesn't make them strong anywhere but those welds.
There are aftermarket pieces that bolt to the bumper, supposedly to reinforce them, but they only attach at the frame welds which IMO is the only strong spot on the bumper.
They are very thin metal & with the vibration of whatever is attached to it will eventually break that thin metal leaving those welds behind.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:25 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbouch84 View Post
Good feedback and info guys! It is actually fully welded to the frame. How ever begining to think it is not a good idea and i dont want to risk it
You can fully weld a beer can to the frame but I wouldn't put any weight on it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
gearhead

Check Curt: https://www.curtmfg.com/trailer-hitches/rv-towing
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #12
JGEORGE

I recently came across this website https://www.mount-n-lock.com/

They have supports for bumper, then they have supports and trays listed. I cant speak to how well they work, but seems to have good reviews. I'm still leary though. 2k worth of generators out back makes me nervous.
JGEORGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #13
24mileboy

I am on my 2nd tt with a rear receiver add by the dealer. 1st one I towed a 10 foot trailer with a Rzr on it for 12 years and never had any problem, haven’t towed behind the new on yet!
I realize this isnt the factory installed hitch, the dealer upgraded the bracing and it is very strong!
24mileboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:16 PM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGEORGE View Post
I recently came across this website https://www.mount-n-lock.com/

They have supports for bumper, then they have supports and trays listed. I cant speak to how well they work, but seems to have good reviews. I'm still leary though. 2k worth of generators out back makes me nervous.
This is what I mentioned in post #9. This product reinforces the welds which are already the strong points doing nothing for the center of the bumper where they're selling racks & hitches to attach.
To be honest I have no experience with their products, the above is only my opinion!
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-23-2020, 08:24 AM   #15
Ccrew

I used the Mounts with their GennyGo platform on a 220RBI with a 3500 Predator on it. Thought I was being smart staggering the platform right at the left frame rail for the least torque and most support. Did a cross country trip with it. Somewhere on that trip I snapped off the left rear spring shackle mount. Generator was still attached. Welder that fixed it believed it sheared because it caused the frame to flex unevenly.
Fast forward, new trailer with the LCI storage platform on the back. It’s design it mounts to the frame but rests on rubber blocks on the bumper. It’s already dented the bumper where it rests and I’ve never hauled more than an empty 36gal Rhino poop tank on it. Generator rides in the truck.
Learn from my mistakes ;-)
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #16
JGEORGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
I used the Mounts with their GennyGo platform on a 220RBI with a 3500 Predator on it. Thought I was being smart staggering the platform right at the left frame rail for the least torque and most support. Did a cross country trip with it. Somewhere on that trip I snapped off the left rear spring shackle mount. Generator was still attached. Welder that fixed it believed it sheared because it caused the frame to flex unevenly.
Fast forward, new trailer with the LCI storage platform on the back. It’s design it mounts to the frame but rests on rubber blocks on the bumper. It’s already dented the bumper where it rests and I’ve never hauled more than an empty 36gal Rhino poop tank on it. Generator rides in the truck.
Learn from my mistakes ;-)
Thank you, that's good info to have. Taken it off my wish list right now.
JGEORGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #17
PaulRod

Bumper rack.

Our 2019 Cougar 29BHS came with a carrier from the factory. It is welded to the frame not the tube bumper. I took the "pins" out and replaced them bolt w/ locknuts. It says it has a capacity of 225lbs. So that is why I keep the load to 125 lbs. No problems yet. I take a good look every trip.
PaulRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:43 AM   #18
precab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbouch84 View Post
we have a 2020 bullet 261rbs and i am thinking on putting a folding rack/basket on the rear. Ive seen and heard of horror stories of the square tube getting ripped on the back.. ive searched my owners manual and can not find any sort of weight rating. Is this a good idea?? What are some reccomendations.
Try these they worked well for me on a bike rack. I took the spare off to keep the weight on the weak bumper down

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by precab View Post
Try these they worked well for me on a bike rack. I took the spare off to keep the weight on the weak bumper down

If you look "critically" at the bumper extensions in the photo at that Amazon link, you'll see that the trailer frame I beams extend fully "to the bumper" and those brackets are attached to the trailer "main frame I-beam rails"...

Keystone does NOT attach rear bumpers to the "main frame I-beam rails"... Keystone uses a "thin metal square tube" extension from the "main frame I-beam rail" to the bumper....

So, attaching that type of bracket to the thin square tube will not provide the same strength that attaching that type of bracket to the "main frame I-beam rail" would provide....

I'd proceed with caution if you're considering those brackets... Remember that "any chain is only as strong as its weakest link"... There's a significant difference in securing those brackets to a "strong steel I-beam" and attaching them to a 16 ga square tubing extension that's welded to a 18 ga square bumper tube......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by precab View Post

As mentioned in post #9 & 14, these reinforce the welds which is not necessarily the weak point on those flimsy thin wall sewer hose storage bumpers.
Replacement undetermined

Tags
rack