Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
scuba0331

Brakes will Not Lock Up

Hello,

I just greased my wheel bearings and adjusted the brakes for the year. Now my brakes will not lock up with manual override on my factory brake controller. I always test this before I take off.

I will walk through what I did. I removed the drums and removed both bearings and then clean and re-greased. Next I sprayed out the drums with brake cleaner to get ride of the brake dust and old grease in the bearing cups. Next I sprayed brake cleaner all over the brake assembly including the shoes. Do you think spraying brake cleaner on the shoes glazed the shoes?

Next I sprayed lube on the adjuster and shoe pivot points. After I put the drums back on and adjusted the wheel bearing nut I adjusted the brakes by rotating the adjuster to fully seat the shoes then I back the adjuster off so there was a slight "scraping" sound of the shoes contracting the drum but they turned easily.

Any thoughts of what went wrong?
scuba0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
poncho62

Sounds good, but I am wondering if the brake cleaner is acting like lubricant and is on the brake shoes? Might want to drive it a couple of miles (safely of course) and see if they dry out
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
concours

I think that if you read the info on the brake cleaner can it may say not to use on the friction material, brake cleaner has changed over the years and tends to leave some residue
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
gearhead

I would adjust the truck brake controller all the way up. Drive it around using the brakes pretty heavy. See if the heat will dry them out.
Mine won't lock the wheels up either. I run the controller on 8.5.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
halfprice

So whats the best way to check the brakes by using the controller. What speed do you activate the controller and what are you looking for??

From a stop I've only taken my foot of the brake pedal then manually activated the controller. If the trailer stops I'm good. Is this correct or should I be doing something different.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
bobbecky

You need to get the trailer brake controller manual out. They all have setup procedures. The following is an example, which is from the Prodigy P2 manual:

Adjusting the Power to the Trailer
Brakes (Prior to setting Boost)
Once the control has been securely mounted in the
direction of travel, it is necessary to set the power
needed to stop the trailer during a braking event.
1. Connect trailer to tow vehicle.
2. With engine running hold manual full left and set
Power Knob to indicate approximately 6.0
3. Drive tow vehicle and trailer on a dry level paved
surface at 25 mph and fully apply manual knob.
3 If trailer brakes lock up:
q Turn power down using power knob.
3 If braking was not sufficient:
q Turn power up using power knob.
4. Repeat Step (3) until power has been set to a point
just below wheel lock up or at a sufficient force as
to achieve maximum braking power.
5. Using the brake pedal, make a few low speed
stops to check the power setting. Trailer braking
is initiated and terminated via the stoplight switch.
When the brake pedal is released, trailer braking
will cease.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #7
Comptech

I have never been able to get my 5er brakes to lock up, ever.... I did at one point find that there were loose brake wires under the underbelly and when I pulled the underbelly down and re-crimped the wires the brakes works better. But still even on the highest Prodigy P2 setting they don't lock up.... I always tow with my F350 in tow/haul mode and feel I have good braking power, but I would like the 5er brakes to feel more aggressive.

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #8
bobbecky

We could set our built-in controller to 10, and the brakes will never lock up. Our rig's GVWR is 15,805 lbs. I actually would not want them locked, as the rubber would get severe flat spots pretty quick. We have found that a 9 setting works for us nicely, not over or under braking. We have occasion to have to make an emergency stop due to idiot drivers changing lanes and jamming on their brakes, and the truck/trailer handles very good and have not run into anything yet.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
RdRmr

scuba0331, you mentioned that after cleaning everything you "sprayed" lube on the adjuster and shoe pivots. It could be possible that a drop of that lube has gotten on the shoes or drum face. Most spray lubes are light and don't react with heat very well. I have always used the same grease I've done the bearings with, very minimal. I've never had a residue issue by spraying the shoes with brake cleaner, just let they dry fully before reassembly.
Just my thoughts. Happy Campin....

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
Bob Landry

I don't know why anyone would want their brakes to lock up. The purpose of the brake controller is to assist in braking,, not accomplish it on it's own. The only time you would want the brakes to lock up would be in the event they got the full 12V from the break-away switch.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
MarkS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I don't know why anyone would want their brakes to lock up. The purpose of the brake controller is to assist in braking,, not accomplish it on it's own. The only time you would want the brakes to lock up would be in the event they got the full 12V from the break-away switch.

My brake controller adjustment instructions says to turn up until the brakes start to lock up, then back off until they don't. I don't want them to lock up under normal conditions. Just trying to follow the instructions.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
scuba0331

Thanks for all of the comments!

I wasn't very clear. I do not want the brakes to lock up under normal conditions. Before I leave my house I like to get rolling about 1 to 2 mph and slide the brake controller lever to ensure the brakes are working. This would lock the brakes up. Doing this in gravel would cause a skid and you can see if all of the wheel are locking up.

I guess I will check the adjustments again and give it a try. The brakes are actuating but not like they did prior to me taking the drums apart.

Thanks for the help! Happy Camping.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
scuba0331

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRmr View Post
scuba0331, you mentioned that after cleaning everything you "sprayed" lube on the adjuster and shoe pivots. It could be possible that a drop of that lube has gotten on the shoes or drum face. Most spray lubes are light and don't react with heat very well. I have always used the same grease I've done the bearings with, very minimal. I've never had a residue issue by spraying the shoes with brake cleaner, just let they dry fully before reassembly.
Just my thoughts. Happy Campin....
That's a good point. I did use Fluid Film. If you are not familiar with it is really sticky! That's why I used it because I thought it would have less chance of coming off!

No big deal I will take things apart and check it out again!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #14
Comptech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
My brake controller adjustment instructions says to turn up until the brakes start to lock up, then back off until they don't. I don't want them to lock up under normal conditions. Just trying to follow the instructions.
Exactly, If you cant get the brakes to Lock Up, then how do you know they are set right according to the instructions...

I would feel more comfortable knowing that they could lock up or just short of locking up under an emergency stop with the Prodigy brake controller.

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 06-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #15
Javi

Just a thought but MOST brake controller instructions have a disclaimer which states something like brakes may not lock with larger trailers. I know that I cannot fully lock mine on pavement but can on loose gravel.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #16
Comptech

Javi,
Good to know....

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #17
scuba0331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Just a thought but MOST brake controller instructions have a disclaimer which states something like brakes may not lock with larger trailers. I know that I cannot fully lock mine on pavement but can on loose gravel.
That makes sense. Mine will in gravel but not on pavement. I guess I was over zealous. I did take it to the dealer today to have the brakes checked and the owner of the dealership and the tech took my rig for a ride and they said everything felt great! I guess I'm better than I thought!

I was kind of embarrassed but when safety is involved I will suck up my pride every time.

Thanks for all of the help!