Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
ishoot

Puilling tandum trailers

We are considering buying a Montana 5th wheel (not toy hauler). We also like to ATV. Our question is can we legally tow the trailer and our ATV trailer at the same time through every state? Thank you in advance for your help.
ishoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
2011 keystone

I dont no this to be true but I believe if it is legal in your home state then you would be covered any where you go.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
BobnLee

They(for some reason) call this triple towing. I have been looking into this as well. We would like to pull a small trailer behind with a scooter. It is illegal in some states. Some states require CDLs. I know I wanted to haul them to Florida and found out it is not permitted in Georgia or Florida. Have to find an alternative.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Georgia Rambler

Each states laws are different, And while you are in that state you are subject to those laws regardless of what your home state laws are.

2012 Laredo 275SBH
Georgia Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
BobnLee

I found all the states that allow triple towing on the net. Cant remember the site but its out there
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

If you use our forum's search feature and type in "triple towing", you will discover numerous posts/threads that discuss this topic in detail.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Georgia Rambler

I cant speak for all states, but here in GA,

***Pulling Doubles means that you have a tow vehicle and TWO trailers

***Pulling Triples means that you have a tow vehicle and THREE trailers

I am not sure as to all the regs on this, but in a Comercial Vehicle it requires a seperate endorsment on your CDL license ( which I have ) but not this particular endorsment.

I do know for a fact that it is legal to pull TWO trailers with a Comercial vehicle here in GA [DOUBLES], BUT I cant correctly answer that ??? in a truck/ camper/ trailer situation
Im sure there are all kinds of extra regs on it tho !!!

2012 Laredo 275SBH
Georgia Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
ishoot

Thanks to each of you for your help. I live in Florida I assume it's legal here as I see people doing it on a regular basis. I would hate to get stopped in another state and told I must do something differant as there aren't many options at that point.
ishoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:15 AM   #9
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot View Post
Thanks to each of you for your help. I live in Florida I assume it's legal here as I see people doing it on a regular basis. I would hate to get stopped in another state and told I must do something different as there aren't many options at that point.
According to this table (http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm) you might want to think twice about pulling two trailers (pick your terminology) in Florida. I've seen various tables likes this, problem with this one is that it does not give reference to the source by state and has no dates. Reading the fine print in the footnotes, looks like this originated from Blue Ox.

Not sure how much of an exercise it would be, to go to each state's DMV web page, for your proposed trip.

Best of luck!
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #10
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Rambler View Post
Each states laws are different, And while you are in that state you are subject to those laws regardless of what your home state laws are.
Unfortunately this is only partly true...

They do have reciprocity. They will honor your license to drive. However, you must drive according/under XYZ State law with regards to equipment.

Consider for a moment this (facetious) example:

In FL, you can drive a pickup truck and tow a 30' trailer with your regular old Class D license. And the equivalent license in XYZ State allows pickup truck drivers to tow trailers as well...

But since XYZ State has disallowed any trailer over 28' (the facetious part). They can stop you and ticket you once you because once you cross the border you are in violation of their equipment/use law.

Here's another (possibly facetious) example:

In FL your class D will allow you to tow tandem with two ball-socket couplings (goose-tag OR tag-tag)...

XYZ State may honor your license and ability to do so in your home state, however they can/will stop you after you cross the border because they require the first trailer to be of king-pin still coupler (5er-tag).

Examples help?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #11
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
According to this table (http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm) you might want to think twice about pulling two trailers (pick your terminology) in Florida. I've seen various tables likes this, problem with this one is that it does not give reference to the source by state and has no dates. Reading the fine print in the footnotes, looks like this originated from Blue Ox.

Not sure how much of an exercise it would be, to go to each state's DMV web page, for your proposed trip.

Best of luck!
Best advice right there... There are a variety of those "towing laws" things posted all over the internet. I find inconsistencies in them regularly.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #12
3P'sInACougar

You could get a swivel wheel trailer that hooks on the back of fifth wheel like a two inch hitch. They make them with two hitch hook ups so the platform stays level when turning. You can search web an find their web site. This is not considered a trailer an gives u added room on back of trailer. Also when backing up it stays in line with u.

But there is a speed limit of I think 60 or 65 by the maker for the tires. This is what I've learned when trying to figure what I was going to tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3P'sInACougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
mhs4771

This whole "Double"/"Triple" towing is such a Gray area even many LEOs don't know exactly what is legal and what isn't. I've talked to a few folks doing it and they aren't sure if they're legal or not. Talked to a Gentleman that arrived at the Park in Florida, Chevy 4500 pulling a 5er with a utility trailer with kids bikes and toys behind the 5er. He was from Buffalo, NY, so being near us I asked him if it were legal. Said he had talked to local LEOs and SPs and was told as long as everything was legally licensed they didn't care. The kicker here is if you're pulling such a train and you find a LEO who doesn't like it, you may find youself dropping that extra tow at the side of the road, Then what?
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
hankpage
Site Team

Even if your state allows double towing you may exceed overall length limits in other states. For example New Jersey has a 50' overall length limit while New York is 65'. This is a fairly good site for state by state towing info ... but as mentioned above, contacting the DMV in each state is the best way. ............ Just as a side note ... In NJ, the Garden State Parkway has a length limit of 55' How do you get on and off the Parkway legally with the extra 5'?? That's a Jersey thing I guess. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
SAABDOCTOR

are you allowed to tow a trailer on the garden state parkway? i was told you could not. i all ways used the jersey turnpike. can't wait to hear from you
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #16
hankpage
Site Team

Barney, RVs are allowed on th GSP for the entire length and commercial trucks are allowed below Exit 105.( even though Truckers Resources says otherwise) Some overpasses above Exit 129 are just around 13' in the right lane but arch to over 14' in the left lane but are posted with the lower height.(I got detoured to the GSP once with a semi and was instructed to keep left ... I was 14' at the time) If your TV has commercial plates it is not allowed above Exit 105 if GVWR is above 7000 lbs. ..... Don't just pass through ..... NJ has some great camping but most close for the winter months. Cape May area is beautiful this time of year and you just missed the Wine festival, weekend of the 6th, 24 NJ wineries taste testing, food and entertainment for two days. Cheers, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
mikell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
This whole "Double"/"Triple" towing is such a Gray area even many LEOs don't know exactly what is legal and what isn't. I've talked to a few folks doing it and they aren't sure if they're legal or not. Talked to a Gentleman that arrived at the Park in Florida, Chevy 4500 pulling a 5er with a utility trailer with kids bikes and toys behind the 5er. He was from Buffalo, NY, so being near us I asked him if it were legal. Said he had talked to local LEOs and SPs and was told as long as everything was legally licensed they didn't care. The kicker here is if you're pulling such a train and you find a LEO who doesn't like it, you may find youself dropping that extra tow at the side of the road, Then what?
Then you deal with it up till that point you have been to how many states. Coming from a family of cops they are not the best and brightest . Most wanted to be firemen but couldn't pass the physical.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote