Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2020, 05:16 AM   #1
dewild25

no 12V power off of battery

I recently lost power to the travel trailer from the battery.

I found out I didnt have power going through the "Short Stop" circuit breaker by the battery. I replaced that, so now I have 12V at the battery and on the output side of the "short stop". I still have no power in the camper itself and I checked the low voltage side of the electrical panel and I do not have any power there from the battery. Is there more locations that this "main" 12V wire would connect to before it gets to the electrical panel or is this supposed to be a straight run? Is there somewhere else I can look? I would look under the camper but it has that plastic covering the whole bottom side of the frame so I didnt want to tear that out without seeing what you guys thought.

Its not a big deal but my fridge wont run on propane without it and I like to run the fridge that way when we travel to keep things cold.

Any suggestions would be helpful!
dewild25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:28 AM   #2
Bostongone

If you don’t have 12 volts at the other side of the “short stop” or circuit breaker then it is probably defective. Pretty simple device, voltage goes in then out, unless it is open?
Old 09-03-2020, 05:30 AM   #3
Bostongone

My bad! Misread your statement. Thought you said that you did not have voltage at the short stop. Sorry!
Old 09-03-2020, 05:32 AM   #4
Bostongone

Next thing I would check is the reverse polarity fuses on the power converter. They could result in no voltage from the battery to the camper.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:57 AM   #5
dewild25

Where would these be located? I checked the 2 - 40 amp fuses and they were good.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:00 AM   #6
Texas Steve

Do you have a battery disconnect switch? Is it turned off?
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:01 AM   #7
Bostongone

Those should be the reverse polarity fuses. Is there another circuit breaker near the battery which could be defective? My 2008 has 2, one for the slides and the other for the main dc to the panel.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:36 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

You might also check for how you hooked up the "mini-breaker" near the battery. It is "polarity sensitive" and even though it "should work if connected in either direction, sometimes if you connect the input/output incorrectly, they simply don't work. If I remember correctly, (haven't changed one in several years), the brass contact goes "to the battery side" and the silver contact goes "to the load side".....

Additionally, sometimes you can get a defective "mini-breaker" right out of the package, so "an ohmmeter is your friend"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:06 AM   #9
dewild25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostongone View Post
Those should be the reverse polarity fuses. Is there another circuit breaker near the battery which could be defective? My 2008 has 2, one for the slides and the other for the main dc to the panel.
If there is one I do not know where it is located. After the "short stop" the wiring goes into the camper. I will have to pull part of that plastic off of the underbelly of the camper and see if there is anything in there.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:07 AM   #10
dewild25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
Do you have a battery disconnect switch? Is it turned off?
I am not aware of one. Everything worked earlier this year. Where do they usually put a battery disconnect switch?
Old 09-03-2020, 07:09 AM   #11
dewild25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You might also check for how you hooked up the "mini-breaker" near the battery. It is "polarity sensitive" and even though it "should work if connected in either direction, sometimes if you connect the input/output incorrectly, they simply don't work. If I remember correctly, (haven't changed one in several years), the brass contact goes "to the battery side" and the silver contact goes "to the load side".....

Additionally, sometimes you can get a defective "mini-breaker" right out of the package, so "an ohmmeter is your friend"......
I have it hooked up properly and I have 12v on both sides of the mini breaker. I am going to have to dig deeper and see if something is wrong with the wire itself.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:13 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

If the system "worked in the past" then I'd first check the battery disconnect/cutoff switch. If that is working properly and providing 12VDC on the input AND output sides of the switch, then I'd suspect a ground connection, either on the 12 volt fuse panel or on the converter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #13
dewild25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If the system "worked in the past" then I'd first check the battery disconnect/cutoff switch. If that is working properly and providing 12VDC on the input AND output sides of the switch, then I'd suspect a ground connection, either on the 12 volt fuse panel or on the converter.
I will check out the grounding. When i tested the "short stop" i was using the battery negative with the output side of the "short stop". I will try to use the frame or some other ground and see if I am getting anything.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #14
Texas Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewild25 View Post
I am not aware of one. Everything worked earlier this year. Where do they usually put a battery disconnect switch?
Not sure where it might be in your trailer. Check the pass through area, service center, or near the battery. Mine did not have a factory installed one (Hideout), so I installed one on the battery box. What is your TT model and year?
Old 09-03-2020, 08:34 AM   #15
dewild25

Quote:
Not sure where it might be in your trailer. Check the pass through area, service center, or near the battery. Mine did not have a factory installed one (Hideout), so I installed one on the battery box. What is your TT model and year?
It is a 2005 Outback 26RS. I have tried to find a schematic for the wiring but my search has come up empty so far.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:02 AM   #16
Texas Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewild25 View Post
Look for something that resembles this cut off switch. But if it has worked in the past, I would be inclined to think it was the battery if the converter checks out as mentioned.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #17
dewild25

Quote:
Look for something that resembles this cut off switch. But if it has worked in the past, I would be inclined to think it was the battery if the converter checks out as mentioned.
I definately have not seen one of those on this trailer. The battery is still working fine as my electric jack is still working and is directly hooked to the battery. Also the output side of the "short stop" is showing 12V so the power is going through that. I am going to check the grounding later this evening. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #18
Terry W.

If you find the way to get to the back of the main power center, where the 12 volt fuses and 110 breakers are you will see where the power wire from battery connects to a buss bar supplying the 12 volt stuff and the ground. This should be all.above the floor. No need to drop underbelly cover. Of they have c come loose or disconnected, could be problem. Also that's where the converter should be with the reverse fuses in the converter. My 2 cents worth
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:57 AM   #19
dewild25

After a ton of troubleshooting and frustration, I figured out it was the wire running from the "short stop" to the main electrical panel that was the issue. I replaced that wire and then everything worked. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Even though it was frustrating I have learned alot about my electrical system.

Tags
battery, power