Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
springdale5

what floorplan

I think I am going to make the jump into FW next season maybe year after. I saw a couple I liked, but am looking for suggestions. I would like 2 slides, need four bunks, no longer than 34' end to end any ideas??? On a side note my truck came with the fifth wheel rails mounted in bed, how do I find out what hitch will fit. No labels on rail. Thanks.
Reese WD hitch W/ DC sway
Wife, 3 boys, 1 girl, 1 crazy yellow lab
springdale5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by springdale5 View Post
I think I am going to make the jump into FW next season maybe year after. I saw a couple I liked, but am looking for suggestions. I would like 2 slides, need four bunks, no longer than 34' end to end any ideas??? On a side note my truck came with the fifth wheel rails mounted in bed, how do I find out what hitch will fit. No labels on rail. Thanks.
Welcome these are two tough questions!

#1. Floor plan is personal preference, me and DW like rear kitchen, more counter space and just like the layout. You may not like may like that.

#2. Most standard 5th wheel hitches will fit the rails, best to have truck with you when buying, so that you can test. Reese should fit standard rails.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I agree with rhagfo, floorplan has to fit your family. We also prefer a rear kitchen but in your case a bunkhouse model should be considered. I would suggest something like a Cougar 293SAB ... With three kids the extra 1/2 bath might come in handy and it should be a good match for your TV. Also fits you length figure and only an extra small wardrobe slide in bedroom.
COUGAR 293SAB Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
rconkin

We are awaiting the arrivial of our 3rd bunkhouse 5er. We have 2 grandkids that live with us (8 & 6) and with the addition of more, we are looking at having 4 grandkids with us at one time camping. Hopefully some of our experience will help you. We just traded a Crossroads Cruiser CF31QB which is a front bunkhouse with 3 bunks and a j-fold couch. We liked the room the kids had in the bunkhouse on rainy days and the tv could be seen from all bunks. We didn't like that the shower and vanity were open to the bunkroom, the Cougar front bunkhouse has an enclosed bath so that problem would have been taken care of. We have found that most bunkhouse models are limited on kitchen counterspace. With 4 kids, it will take room to fix meals. I think the toughest part of what you are looking for will be the length. It seems like getting 4 bunks will require a little longer length. Look at some of the loft models also. I hope some of this helps.

16 KZ Durango 2500 D349BHQ
rconkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Outbackmel

Too cramped

Well, if you are worried about a "rainy day"; with 3 kids, 2 adults, you need the following; 3 baths; separate bedrooms, meaning 6 or 7 slide outs, 2 of which need to be opposing slides in the living area....OR just buy 2 rigs, one for you and DW and one for kids. Have her pull one and you pull the other...rent 2 spaces (far apart) .... let the kids ride in HER camper...Mitt Romney apparently likes to take his pets on vacation this way....(on top of the car)...

We have a 36 ft, front bunk house model, triple slide, 36ft, Outback 5er. Master BR is in the rear. Weighs less than 10,000 lbs empty and tows like a dream. Front bunk house has 2 bunk beds plus double air bed sofa. We like it a LOT.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote