Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
albertr

Battery Problem

I have a battery problem that maybe someone can help me with. Not sure I can explain it properly but here's what happens. I use 2 interstate 6 volt deep cycle batteries. Problem is that battery acid forms liguid on top of the batteries and has even done some damage to the metal battery cage.
They are now on trickle charge at home and the top is coated with acid. Batteries were completely dry on top when I put them on charge. This also happens when the 5th wheel is parked with ground disconnected. Thanks for your help.... Al
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
chuck&gail

Just guessing, but you do know NEVER to add water to a discharged battery (unless to just cover plates), right? Not even partially discharged. You only top off fully charged batteries.

If water is added to a discharged battery, it causes what you are seeing.

Other possibility is your converter is overcharging your batteries.

Finally I suppose a bad cell in each battery could cause that, but it seems unlikely.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:18 AM   #3
rjsurfer

My guess is your charger is not working properly, it's definitely not staying at a low current/voltage level.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
35mastr

I had the same issie with my RV in the past with this. Its the gas that is produced when plugged in.The batterys are charging that makes that film on top. The gas seeps out of the covers and stays on top. I would wash mine every season to keep it controlled.
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote