Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
f6bits

Why do you Easties get the good stuff?

I’ve always been curious as to why many Keystone products have West Coast versions and East Coast versions. As I ponder my future, I especially wonder why there are some fifth wheels only available back east, such as the Passports. Any ideas? I get the feeling that my future may hold a trip back east to get a trailer.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Johnnyfry

East/West

I have wondered the same thing. In looking at the offerings of East vs Westbi don't see a lot of differences, but maybe someone can enlighten me.

Possibly some type of regulations (California???)

Can anyone shed some light on this baffling question?

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #3
Tim&Patty

I thought this subject was common knowledge, all west coast units manuals must be converted to Californiaeze ie: Owner = Dude, Keystone = Evil Capitalist or 1 percenter, all references' to the RV must be non-gender specific and the biggy the interior must contain LOCKED storage, measured in grams for the transportation of Medical Marijuana!

Sorry I couldn't resist, you guys are camping already (or never stopped) and we're still dealing with hard freezes

Tim & Patty (RHDW Red Head Dear Wife)
Riley (Monster Yorkie)

2011 High Country 291RLS, SteadyFast, XM Radio, Awning Sun Shade.

2011 Ford F-150 Platinum, 6.2L, Max Tow Package
Voliant Ram Air, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Hypertech Chip, On Board Lift Bags, Anzo Projector Headlights & LED Tailights, Pace Rolling Padded Hard Cover.
Reese 16K Slider
Tim&Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

tim&patti, too much DOOODE !!!!

Anyway, methinks the reason some models are only available in specific areas has more to do with where the assembly plants are. Keystone is really a conglomarate of individual manufacturers that have, over the years, come together under one name. From what I can see online, each is pretty much able to regulate their individual brand and manage their own product quality/design. There are a large number of similar items and construction techniques (probably to save time and money in bulk purchases, etc) but each brand does remain separate from the others.

Many of the brands have plants on the east coast/mid America and on the west coast. Springdale, for example does build travell trailers in the east but only assembles fifth wheels in Indiana. Their west coast plant only assembles travel trailers and in past years assembled the "rugged style" of camping trailer with beefier suspensions. I'd guess that was since demand for that type vehicle would be greater in the Rocky Mountain/northwest region so shipping would be less than from the Indiana plant.

It is frustrating that some models aren't available in all areas. Some members here have commented that their dealers could order models from the "other area" and some later found that not to be true. I still don't know if any Keystone dealer can order from both assembly plants. Check with your dealer and/or call around, you might be able to find the RV you want closer than "going back east" to get it. However, price for shipping/transportation will probably be more than the trip would cost for you to go get it and you'd have the chance to wrap a vacation in with the pickup from "back east"

Good luck with your decision, either way, you'll be getting what you want and hopefully at a price you like.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

Tim and Patty you missed one very important differance! on the californis units wait for it..... the CA/DEP requires a catalytic converter on the poop tankvent for emissions of green house gas!!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
jsmith948

California

I think the west coast models have to be earthquake proof?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
f6bits

T&P, that’s *totally* bogus! I’m so bummed.

My Passport TT was made in Goshen. Why can’t I get a Passport fiver? And the dividing line isn’t the California border. It looks more like the Rockies.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

JRTJH wrote --

"Many of the brands have plants on the east coast/mid America and on the west coast. Springdale, for example does build travell trailers in the east but only assembles fifth wheels in Indiana. Their west coast plant only assembles travel trailers and in past years assembled the "rugged style" of camping trailer with beefier suspensions. I'd guess that was since demand for that type vehicle would be greater in the Rocky Mountain/northwest region so shipping would be less than from the Indiana plant. "

We bought our 5th wheel from a Canadian west coast dealer and the ID plate on the Cougar says that the manufacturer is: Keystone, Pendleton, Oregon. I am assuming that this 5th wheel was built (assembled??) here at their west coast plant. I have no idea whether it is a West Coast or East Coast Model.

I've been looking for some of those unique "West Coast features" mentioned in the previous posts but can't seem to find any.

It doesn't make sense to me that the dealer would bring in a 5th wheel all the way from Goshen when Keystone has a plant in Oregon - a lot closer to the dealership ?????
Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
KanTC

Keystone bought the additional Oregon facility when Fleetwood (TT Division) went out of business
in 2009. Given the fact that Keystone offers 40 different models/lines from their Indiana plants,
it's very likely that the Oregon plants aren't large enough to produce more than just a few models.

They started with 4 TT models at the former Fleetwood plant (probably their best sellers at the time??).
Currently the Cougar FW's & 1/2 ton series TT's, Hideout TT's, Passport TT's, and Springdale TT's
are manufactured in both Indiana and Oregon. Other than marketing purposes, I have no idea 'why'
they've decided to offer only certain floorplans between the *east coast/west coast* plants.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2009/11/ke...ailer-facility

http://www.manufacturing.net/news/20...ites-in-oregon

Scott (sdayman), Passport FW's were only introduced at the beginning of 2012... although they may not
be readily available in your area yet, your local Passport dealer can order them from Indiana if they
choose to do so. Unless the (unwritten) rules have changed recently, dealers are not *required*
to order from only a specific plant.

As an FYI for anyone who's interested - when we were shopping for our current FW - we found that there
are some dealers along the east/west dividing line who carry both the east/west models. For example:
Fun Country RV in Anthony TX (just outside of El Paso) carries east & west Cougars.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
mikell

I know my Alpine was built less than 100 miles south but the best deal I could get was another 200 miles. That figured to about $5 a mile savings from the next best. Then it was free delivery because it was less than 300 miles. So a vacation to pick up a unit might pay pretty well
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote