Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
landandsea

Question Bullet 230BHSWE GoodSam Warranty

I am signing papers and picking up my new TT in two days. The dealer of course scared me into buying the GoodSam 5 year warranty. Is the cost and value of $2000.00 really worth it for what I am buying. The pamphlet stated it covers all appliances, wiring, basically anything. Anyone have suggestions on this?
landandsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
Bluewater

The important thing is IF you read the entire contract and YOU are happy with what is covered and what is not. Do you realize many of the appliances and many other items have their own 2 or 3 year warranty. It's all in the details. Good luck and happy camping.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Generally speaking, most members would advise against buying an extended warranty. The "sales pamphlet" and the actual contract don't have the same wording, so read the actual contract carefully rather than rely on the sales brochure for what's covered.

The brochure may state, "All appliances are covered" and the contract may say, "All appliances are covered, except for thermostats, regulating devices, electronic controls, heating elements, gas and electrical components, grates and other components subject to heat or cold. Corrosion is excluded."

As you can see, what's left isn't much and by the time you pay your deductible, there are hardly any repairs that would be covered.

READ CAREFULLY and remember the "LARGE PRINT GIVETH and the small print taketh away."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
Javi

Waste of money, you'd be better off putting $50 a week or even a month into a trailer repair account and paying as you go.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by landandsea View Post
I am signing papers and picking up my new TT in two days. The dealer of course scared me into buying the GoodSam 5 year warranty. Is the cost and value of $2000.00 really worth it for what I am buying. The pamphlet stated it covers all appliances, wiring, basically anything. Anyone have suggestions on this?
By the sounds of it, you have already purchased the extended warranty so it may be too late for any suggestions. If I were you, I wouldn't buy and instead save the $2000 and put it into a separate RV account to be used for repairs - if needed.

As already pointed out, there are as many exclusions as inclusions and what you think is or should be covered, often isn't. Leaks, for example, and any damage caused by them are usually excluded.

If you are able to back out of this, I would.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
landandsea

I only signed the vehicle order, no contracts - I will be going by there today and looking at the warranty and I can back out of it since I have not signed any loan contracts......Thanks I need to remember my gut instincts are right.
landandsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:02 AM   #7
Essness

I'm late to the game as usual....... A big consideration for those of us with abbreviated camping seasons is how long do they need to keep your camper to perform the "warranty" work.
My expirience with camping world has been that they need to keep it too long. They had mine for a month and a half last year and I set the appointment almost 2 months ahead of that. The work that needed to be done was all under manufacturer warranty. I couldn't imagine how frustrated I would be if this was service that I had to pay extra for.
In my opinion, dont buy an extended warranty! You will always be better off keeping the 2000.00 set aside and have the flexibility to choose your service location based on who you think will do a better job and return your rig to you quickest.
It's sad but perhaps some day the camping world/good sam team will realize that the marketing may get people to sign up, but the service will keep them.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote