Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
Bob Landry

Wet Bolts vs Never Fail Bushing

Some recent threads on here have sparked my interest in this and has prompted even more Internet research. I ran across never Fail Bushings, I think made by Lippert, and was wondering if anyone had any comments on these. The Bushings seem to be made of some space age polymer or some type of material that nevers needs lubrication, as opposed to the wet bolts that have to be greased. Any comments are appreciated.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Bluewater

I had the NeverFail bushings installed last fall by a local old spring shop. They have installed many of these and told me the bolts will wear out before the bushings. Not sure of that but they should last as long as I own the rig. If not they are guaranteed for life. The whole job ran just over $200. Not bad. No more squeeking and groans when it tight campgrounds. Very happy so far.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

These are three threads that have discussed the Never-Fail bushings. There may be more ??? Possibly, some of the members who indicated they installed the Lippert lifetime bushings will report how they are doing.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...highlight=fail

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
abneynormal

i wet bolted mine

if you have dealed with lippert and their "never fail" crap does. it isn't rocket science to figure grease will keep things rolling a long time. a example is their never fail bearings. they failed like their china bomb tires. btw if you can buy the kit from a reputable dealer do so. DONT deal with lippert. and if your rig is equipped with a equaflex system you can wet bolt it as well. I will deal with dexter or mor ryde next time.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
toyboxgang

Preventative Maintence (repair)

I've got a 2011 Outback 260FL with about 10-12000 miles on it, almost all in the heat of the US Southwest. My father-in-law just averted disaster on his Arctic Fox when all the bushings on the leftside failed (along with a bearing) and he fortunately was in a Pilot/Flying J and not on the interstate. Anyway, he converted all his suspension to wet and along with a new set of tires was on his way. I decided to investigate my rig and have determined that I have the Equa-flex Trailair equalizer with the supposed never fail bushings. I am a big believer in the wonderful world of grease and it's importance in our world, so I would like to convert my suspension to one that allows me to grease up the various points.

My questions are as follows:

1) Should I mickey around and install the wet bolt option on the Equa-flex and then get a wet bolt/bushing kit to do the spring shackles

or

2) Just buy the complete Dexter EX-Flex suspension kit?? (http://www.dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/18096/28009)

I am wondering if the Dexter equalizer will cause my trailer height to change? When I measure up all the required info, it says that I should not experience any change in ride height. Has anyone on here had any experience with this? I am very mechanical and have always done my own repairs, so I will be tackling this myself. I have found all sorts of awesome info on how to do it yourself, but no one has mentioned ride height.

Thanks in advance

Camping history

Started with a nylon tent,
met my wife, and moved on to large canvas tent,
tired of that, so moved on to sleeping on a foamy in the bed of a P/U under a canopy,
had our kids, so we bought a 1986 8' Bigfoot camper,
that got small, so we borrowed my brother-in-law's hunting trailer,
which caused us to buy our own 2006 Jayco Jayflight 29BHS,
Kids grew up, and stopped camping with us so we traded up to the 2011 Outback 260FL.
toyboxgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
buzzcop63

Years ago I owned a repair business, part of that business was servicing electric power tools and doing warranty service for major manufacturers. Electric tools that were meant to be used in short service and then left UN used for long periods of time were built at an economical price had sleeve bearings, these bears were impregnated with graphite. When the tool was put in service after sitting for years at a time the bearings as they heated up sweated the graphite as lubricant and the tool performed its function. The average trailer is used in similar fashion, a week or so on the road then sitting for a long time. Unfortunately the trailer manufacturers do not ask how many miles you are going to put on the rig so they can find out if you need heavy-duty suspension, its one size fits all.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
toyboxgang

So Buzzcop63 am I to assume by your reply that you are a fan of using a wet bolt system??

Common sense says that that is a better system, but I was looking for a further answer to my situation.

Do I just use the complete kit by Dexter or use existing parts and retrofit.

Camping history

Started with a nylon tent,
met my wife, and moved on to large canvas tent,
tired of that, so moved on to sleeping on a foamy in the bed of a P/U under a canopy,
had our kids, so we bought a 1986 8' Bigfoot camper,
that got small, so we borrowed my brother-in-law's hunting trailer,
which caused us to buy our own 2006 Jayco Jayflight 29BHS,
Kids grew up, and stopped camping with us so we traded up to the 2011 Outback 260FL.
toyboxgang is offline   Reply With Quote