Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
Keystoneforlife

Re-wiring generator cable for new gen.

A while back I purchased a generator cord for my Honda portable gen. Now I think it's time to switch to something a bit bigger, and the models I'm seeing only come with the 4-prong, 30A. I want to modify my old cord to now plug into the 4-prong outlet on the gen.

My question is: when I'm wiring this new cord with an assembly plug like this one: L14-30P Generator Plug

Do I have to split the single Hot wire on the cord to both hot wire terminals on the new plug?
Keystoneforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Bluewater

Why go thru all that trouble and possible trouble and just buy an adapter from your power cord to the 4 prong 30 amp on the generator. I have one
on my 50amp cord to my Honda 3000 and it works great and no worries.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

X2 on the adapter .... the 4 prong outlet on your generator is 240v ... your trailer (if 30amp) only needs 120v so only one "Hot Leg" will be used with the adapter. If 50amp, still use the proper adapter ... if you change the plug on the trailer you will not be able to hook up to CG power.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote