Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2024, 07:09 AM   #1
Rick Ferris

Verizon Cell Modem

Gang,

I have a good tablet computer I'd like to use to access the internet independently of my cell phone. I'm with the understanding I can buy a USB Modem that utilizes a SIM Card and can add a line to my Verizon account so I can leave my computer in the camper with my Wi-Fi running so I can connect cameras and such to monitor stuff while we are away.

Is this something someone else has done? Good & Bad?

We have 2 dogs and I just can't feel safe leaving them with the air running and no way of checking in!
Old 05-15-2024, 07:38 AM   #2
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ferris View Post
Gang,

I have a good tablet computer I'd like to use to access the internet independently of my cell phone. I'm with the understanding I can buy a USB Modem that utilizes a SIM Card and can add a line to my Verizon account so I can leave my computer in the camper with my Wi-Fi running so I can connect cameras and such to monitor stuff while we are away.

Is this something someone else has done? Good & Bad?

We have 2 dogs and I just can't feel safe leaving them with the air running and no way of checking in!
We used a product called Insty Connect on the Verizon system for years.
Youtube and/or google the product. It uses a data sim and works just like a hotspot only it has an external antenna for better reception and a self contained modem. Used it for internet connect and watched tv on our Android box using it. Of course you have to be within distance to a verizon tower for it to work. (or ATT and/or Tmobile...it'll work on any of the networks)
I have it forsale at a very reasonable price compared to new if you're interested. The only reason we're selling is we have a starlink system for our trip to Alaska ordered.
Good luck in your quest.

It's not camping...It's an adventure!
Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:03 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

We use a simple Verizon Wifi Hotspot and connect our Micro-Air EasyTouch thermostat to it when we are out of the camper so we can monitor and control the HVAC for the dogs
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 02:01 PM   #4
dutchmensport

We have Visible for our internet usage.

We purchased a cheap ($73) cell phone that had at least a hot spot availability.

We purchased a mine router that connects to the phone. With the mini router, it works as a WIFI hot spot so multiple devices can connect at the same time.

We leave the phone turned on all the time, it's never turned off, unless we have a need to re-boot it. We never use that phone for phone calls although it vibrates at incoming phone calls all the time. The few times we've answered the actual phone, it's always been some collector attempting to collect money from some person we've never hear of before. So, we just ignore incoming calls now completely.

The Visible plan is $40 a month, it's truly unlimited, and the phone and the mini router were a one time purchase. Visible is a month to month, pay as you go, ... stop a month, restart a month, use as you need, no contracts AND WORKS GREAT!

My wife and I still have our normal AT&T cell phones (that also have WIFI hot spots) for a back up, which we've had to use, very very seldom. We run our Roku televisions (2 of them) streaming stations, and use it for my wife's company laptop (work from home) and I did also before I retired. Now we use Visible for my personal computer, the televisions, and my wife's company computer. It's running 24x7, always set up in the camper, even when parked at home.

It's just another option you might want to consider before getting sucked into another Verizon or AT&T bill which will be much higher and have "limited" internet connection. We use our Visible internet connection extremely, extremely heavy with multiple devices all at the same time, every day, and it's never throttled or slowed down.

Consider Visible before spending big bucks elsewhere for limited service.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:39 PM   #5
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
We have Visible for our internet usage.

We purchased a cheap ($73) cell phone that had at least a hot spot availability.

We purchased a mine router that connects to the phone. With the mini router, it works as a WIFI hot spot so multiple devices can connect at the same time.

We leave the phone turned on all the time, it's never turned off, unless we have a need to re-boot it. We never use that phone for phone calls although it vibrates at incoming phone calls all the time. The few times we've answered the actual phone, it's always been some collector attempting to collect money from some person we've never hear of before. So, we just ignore incoming calls now completely.

The Visible plan is $40 a month, it's truly unlimited, and the phone and the mini router were a one time purchase. Visible is a month to month, pay as you go, ... stop a month, restart a month, use as you need, no contracts AND WORKS GREAT!

My wife and I still have our normal AT&T cell phones (that also have WIFI hot spots) for a back up, which we've had to use, very very seldom. We run our Roku televisions (2 of them) streaming stations, and use it for my wife's company laptop (work from home) and I did also before I retired. Now we use Visible for my personal computer, the televisions, and my wife's company computer. It's running 24x7, always set up in the camper, even when parked at home.

It's just another option you might want to consider before getting sucked into another Verizon or AT&T bill which will be much higher and have "limited" internet connection. We use our Visible internet connection extremely, extremely heavy with multiple devices all at the same time, every day, and it's never throttled or slowed down.

Consider Visible before spending big bucks elsewhere for limited service.
David:
This is very interesting, which Visible plan are you on, I see two available.

We had ordered Starlink last year and intend on using it at both home and on the road, then early this spring Starlink dropped the combo fixed with portable option and we requested a refund which they granted since the service we wanted was no longer available.

Thanks,
Bob

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 03:56 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

There are three main carriers. Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T. In our area AT&T has the best coverage so we use Consumer Cellular which uses their towers. CC is far less expensive compared to AT&T. Same situation for Verizon and Visible and Visible is a much better deal using the same Verizon towers. We don't use Starlink due the cost given how little use it would get compared to the higher price. We have 500 mb/ps fiber internet at home. Only complication is that we use Hulu for live TV when traveling and Hulu knows (by our IP address) that we are not at home and won't allow live TV but live news and such is readily available on the many other streaming apps on a Roku. I have both cellular and WiFi external antenna with boosters on my rig so we are always able to sttream one way or the other.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:12 PM   #7
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
David:
This is very interesting, which Visible plan are you on, I see two available.

We had ordered Starlink last year and intend on using it at both home and on the road, then early this spring Starlink dropped the combo fixed with portable option and we requested a refund which they granted since the service we wanted was no longer available.

Thanks,
Bob
Yea, the Starlink people have a tendency to change things up all the time.
Right now the way it is you should be able to use the "roam" on the road and at your home base also.
599 for equip
150 a month for the service
We plan to use it only on the road away from home base as we have 2 different internet providers at home that give us smoking fast service for very cheap.
Here's what we like about the way Starlink is set now.
We can pause the service and not have that monthly charge when we're at our home base.
We also just recently found out we can do the same with our Direct TV when we're on the road. (yea, we still use direct tv)
So it's not quite but almost a wash for the money spent for the 2 service.

I have dropped the Verizon phone service now and use the Visible by Verizon also.
I opted for the 45 a month plan and get a little discount for the first 3 months. We like to go to Mexico and I'll have service down there and in Canada when around towers on this plan. Seems to work well for my phone service so far and was easy as a slice of apple pie to switch over.
They overnight the new sim and the service transferred with in less than 10-15 mins after it was activated.
You just need to contact your current carrier and get the port out number.
Many options out there...Good luck in finding one that fits your bill.

It's not camping...It's an adventure!
Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:49 PM   #8
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
There are three main carriers. Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T. In our area AT&T has the best coverage so we use Consumer Cellular which uses their towers. CC is far less expensive compared to AT&T. Same situation for Verizon and Visible and Visible is a much better deal using the same Verizon towers. We don't use Starlink due the cost given how little use it would get compared to the higher price. We have 500 mb/ps fiber internet at home. Only complication is that we use Hulu for live TV when traveling and Hulu knows (by our IP address) that we are not at home and won't allow live TV but live news and such is readily available on the many other streaming apps on a Roku. I have both cellular and WiFi external antenna with boosters on my rig so we are always able to sttream one way or the other.
Ran into the same issue with Hulu a couple of years ago and dropped them. Ordered a portable Dish antenna and it only adds $5.00 a month to the home account without the regional IP location blocking.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 07:30 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
Ran into the same issue with Hulu a couple of years ago and dropped them. Ordered a portable Dish antenna and it only adds $5.00 a month to the home account without the regional IP location blocking.
We HAD Dish at home but it got so expensive we dished them and went with streaming with Hulu. I did like have the Dish in our camper as it was $7 a month on top our payment for the home service but the home service just kept going up and up. The advantage of streaming is there is an unlimited amount of channels for free. Another aspect is that I am a San Antonio Spurs fan and Dish dropped Bally Sports who carried the Spurs so I had to go in a different direction to catch all the games. Dish dropped Bally when they got into an argument about costs. That put the nail in my using Dish.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 01:37 AM   #10
RickV

If I understand what your asking, Verizon offers "True Unlimited" Cellular Home Internet for $45 a month for Verizon Customers. I have 2 of em one here and one at the MIL's House. Get about 50mps speeds.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:15 AM   #11
Rick Ferris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post

What Mini Router are you using?
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM   #12
Rick Ferris

I got my Visible phone. Relatively Easy!

Waiting on my router which I wouldn't pay for shipping comes next week.

Thanks
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ferris View Post
I got my Visible phone. Relatively Easy!

Waiting on my router which I wouldn't pay for shipping comes next week.

Thanks

We've been happy with our Visible service. I leave the router in the trailer but take the Visible phone with me on all trips. I don't like the "free" wifi you get at most hotels or elsewhere. With it I always have my own wifi when without the trailer and when in the trailer I have the router to run multiple items.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod