Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2024, 10:41 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
For anyone reading this post GET YOUR COLONOSCOPY it just might save your life!!!!
I wish you all the best with your fight against something that hopefully we'll find a cure before much longer.....

That said, a bit of humor about colonoscopies and the "fecal occult blood screening" that comes before it.... When I was doing primary care in the VA system, I had my clinic send the test kit to every patient a month before their scheduled appointment to see me. That way we could discuss the results and follow up as needed. I did that because way too many "real men" refuse a prostate exam which is where we get the specimen for an "in office blood screen"...

Anyway, I had one "elderly gentleman" that always pushed every button in an attempt to protest the system.... When he got his fecal occult blood screen kit, the instructions were to place a small amount of stool on the card, fold it in half and place in the postage paid envelope and return it via mail to the VA... He put an ENORMOUS amount of stool in the envelope, sealed it and dropped it in the mail.... When his envelope went through the postal processing machine, of course the rollers "squished his envelope, squirting the contents all throughout the machine.... Well, that closed down the USPS processing center for a mandatory cleanup !!!!!! The postmaster called the VA hotline and requested we no longer send fecal occult blood screening kits via the mail !!!!!

So, yes, a colonoscopy at age 50 for most and age 40 or 45 for those with a "high risk family history" is so much better than a lifetime of chemo to control something that should be easy to eliminate if found early enough.... And, with some of the new flavors for the prep, it ain't really as bad as it used to be....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:58 AM   #22
notanlines

I simply could not agree more^^^^. Man up, (yes, woman up also) and get a colonoscopy! And for men, your urologist is your friend.
Now that we have hijacked this thread (for good reason) let me remind you old farts that your Medicare annual physical is but a shell of a real physical. Speak with your physician or NP concerning what I said.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:23 AM   #23
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I simply could not agree more^^^^. Man up, (yes, woman up also) and get a colonoscopy! And for men, your urologist is your friend.
Now that we have hijacked this thread (for good reason) let me remind you old farts that your Medicare annual physical is but a shell of a real physical. Speak with your physician or NP concerning what I said.
Zero issues with this thread being hijacked as I did mention the reason we stay at that particular RV Park. If we can bring awareness to this subject, promote early detection and as you and others have stated, get that scope on a rope procedure and not avoid it with excuses.
As a side note I don't know why some portions of the country are still using that awful premixed prep. Here in Kansas, two jugs of Gatorade without red dye, and over the counter powder and mix them up. That along with a couple of stool softeners and you end up with the same results. I can tell you that you will want to swear off that flavor of Gatorade for a while after downing two jugs of the stuff. I was one with the excuses, not me, I'm healthy, etc, when I realized something was wrong I was already at Stage 4. There is more to prevention than ribbons for awareness, get your colonoscopy, besides, the new anesthesia meds don't leave you in a stupor and you get a nice little rest while the procedure is performed.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:54 AM   #24
Jonahex2099

I just had an "out of band" colonoscopy for a stomach issue (and an endoscopy to boot) and fortunately everything is clear. There's a history in my family of all kinds of things I'd rather avoid, so when the doc says I need whatever, then whatever it is.

Wish you and yours nothing but the best and good health!

Re the thread topic - We used to park our Coachman Clipper 21RD (no slides) next to some really fancy rigs - my wife would have been perfectly content to keep that camper forever but I needed more wiggle room.

I finally talked her into upgrading - and while we could certainly afford something much much fancier than the Passport we ended up with, and we looked at some REALLY fancy fifth wheels (which at the time would have necessitated a new truck, which, ironically, we ended up with anyway), the layout of the Passport GT we have is perfect for us, since 90% of the time it's just us and our three dogs.

Unless it's raining we spend almost all of our time outside, and I've yet to park beside a fancier rig where the owners looked down on us...half the time we end up sharing camp fires and swapping stories, or playing music (I keep a cajon in my rig for just that purpose)...the only time I ever had an issue was when someone in a fancier rig next to us kept putting his starlink dish directly in front of our camper and not keeping it on his own site. (which had he asked I'd have said no problem, but he did not ask, and when the owner of the campground told him he needed to move it he got pissy with them).

We *do* walk around the campgrounds with our dogs and look at the trailers/fifth wheels that park there for fun, but it's more just to see what other people have/enjoy.

Anyway - if you love what you have, nothing else matters.

Jonahex2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:50 AM   #25
Peto

Quote:
Originally Posted by twells View Post
those people are all making huge payments!
I would have to disagree. People that can afford that lifestyle/equipment are not typically the type of people that finance a depreciating asset...
Old 05-17-2024, 10:29 AM   #26
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
I would have to disagree. People that can afford that lifestyle/equipment are not typically the type of people that finance a depreciating asset...
Are you sure that everyone enjoying that lifestyle can afford it? Who knows what kind of debt a person is willing to carry in order to "keep up with the Joneses"?

I'm surprised at how many young families I see with $150K plus in equipment. Is all of that free and clear?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 12:17 PM   #27
GlasNav

I hold nothing against anyone that can afford to own and operate the extravagant RVs. They do generate some awe, but not jealousy.

However, those that are riding on manufacturer's coattails as influencers do bug me. See them on YouTube and they will be towing a new Brinkley in a new loaded RAM 3500 and have the audacity of saying something along the lines that they are really looking forward to the next new RAM 3500. These people have little to no experience camping and towing, haven't spent a cent for the equipment and are getting along on their personality and looks. Some of the things they say are so out of wack with the RV world, but they are out there marketing the heck out of whatever they are in. I wonder if the manufacturers realize the bad taste that is left by this, or are they marketing to a totally different generation?

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 05-17-2024, 12:50 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I hold nothing against anyone that can afford to own and operate the extravagant RVs. They do generate some awe, but not jealousy.

However, those that are riding on manufacturer's coattails as influencers do bug me. See them on YouTube and they will be towing a new Brinkley in a new loaded RAM 3500 and have the audacity of saying something along the lines that they are really looking forward to the next new RAM 3500. These people have little to no experience camping and towing, haven't spent a cent for the equipment and are getting along on their personality and looks. Some of the things they say are so out of wack with the RV world, but they are out there marketing the heck out of whatever they are in. I wonder if the manufacturers realize the bad taste that is left by this, or are they marketing to a totally different generation?

^^^^I figure you hit the nail on the head with that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:43 PM   #29
jasin1

Quote:
Been at this cancer treatment process for over four years. Was diagnosed at stage 4 because I never did the scope on a rope. This was at the beginning of the Covid debacle and all support services including Hope Lodge were shuttered. I was under the knife for 4.5 hrs as they gutted me like a deer on the side of the highway. We have been approved and welcomed to Hope Lodge, and their invitation remains open. But, we prefer the known and familiar surroundings of the 25RDS. Last fall we stumbled upon the fact that DW had early stage Pancreatic cancer, she underwent pre-op chemo, has had surgery to remove the tumor from the tail and not the head and is on her second to last post-op chemo. I'll be on chemo for the rest of my life since the chemo that will knock out the cancer that I have nearly killed me!
Thank you so much for your concern, it is truly appreciated.
We don't hide our situation and or condition so that others can be educated about the disease.
For anyone reading this post GET YOUR COLONOSCOPY it just might save your life!!!!

I commend you for keeping your chin up and having a positive attitude…and i’m sorry to hear what your going thru… you mentioned in past posts but i did not realize the extent until you explained…and you would never know from most of your upbeat posts.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:32 PM   #30
LadyCPA

Just remember that the Ugly Duck was really a beautiful swan. And it sounds to me from your various posts on this forum, that you are your DW are truly those magnificent swans who show elegance and grace.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 05:47 PM   #31
Glendon

They have the same experience as you, when they walk out the door.

I never stay inside any camper except to sleep. So, most of America can't afford one of those rigs. I had a very nice Holiday Rambler very well taken care of. I was told not welcome, because it was over 10 years old. There where plenty newer campers that didn't look as good as my old one. I upgraded to a Laredo, because my kids like the campground and their events.
Glendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 05:25 AM   #32
Craig G

Just enjoy y'all's time together and anyone else's hangups are in them. When we just had a pop-up I reserve a spot at an unfamiliar campground and ended up encircled by $250k+ glampers with 10x20 foot detached pop-up canopies and inflatable Halloween decorations.

We just enjoyed ourselves and ended up meeting some wonderful campers a few lanes over and had a wonderful time.
2015 Chevrolet 1500
Crew Cab 4x4 with towing pkg
Curt 10,000lbs WD hitch w/sway
Craig G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 07:12 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Back a bit more than 30 years ago, we had a 1993 Holiday Rambler Imperial 34' travel trailer. If anyone knows or remembers them, they were "considered to be square box Airstream" equivalents... Same type construction, same type components, same type reputation, just painted aluminum siding rather than polished aluminum siding and no "curved upper cabinet backs" so more storage space...

Anyway, we were in Pismo Beach for the month of July and unknowingly booked a reservation in a "just off the beach RV resort"... Anyway, that resort had booked a "major Airstream rally" for the week of July 4th. Turned out that it was "us in our HR" totally surrounded by the competition in those silver submarines with wheels".... (We had owned a 68 Airstream, so we were totally familiar with them and with the "attitude" some owners could project...

As it turned out, we were not "excluded" from any of the Airstream activities, in fact, the entire "block surrounding us" made an effort to include us in all their "exclusive Airstream activities" from the pot luck suppers to the bus tours to San Louis Obispo (and the train to Hearst Castle) and more. About the only thing we were excluded from was the "club meetings" where they discussed things like future club officers, votes on club financial issues, etc....

We met some of the most friendly people at what we initially thought would be a "bust for us with our "white box among the silver bullets"... Turned out we made some great friends that through the years have remained friends, although this long out, most of them are no longer with us.

What could have been a disaster, turned out to be a really great week with some very friendly RV enthusiasts.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:28 AM   #34
Balvar24

I usually have a simpler set up than those around me. I feel like the "It's paid off Duckling."
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:37 AM   #35
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
I usually have a simpler set up than those around me. I feel like the "It's paid off Duckling."
I like that!

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 05-21-2024, 10:55 AM   #36
Janet H
Site Team

In sunny locations, parking between those big rigs (in the valley of the shadow of pushers) can provide good shade

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote