Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-10-2024, 10:42 AM   #1
mike95776
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: woodland
Posts: 39
Bigger rims won't fit on my TT

We have a 2020 20ft Springdale RDQBed dual axel TT and I want to replace the 14 inch tires with 15inch tires to get higher rated (E-F) tires. My first set of original tires lasted less than 5k and ended with a blowout on the freeway...
My tire dealer said that I don't have enough room to fit the 15inch tires so I went with the BF Goodyear Endurance 14inch "D" rated tires.


My current 14" tires measure 26" and the 15" "D" rated tires I found measure 28'inches. I currently have 7" of space between the front and rear tires with about 4-5" between the top of the tire and the wheel well (without water or supplies).



Is it possible to replace the suspension shackles with extensions? or replace the suspension with the MORryde CRE2-33 which looks like it will add some height?
mike95776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:51 AM   #2
PolarisCobra
Member
 
PolarisCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Mendon
Posts: 80
Seems like you could do that easy enough. They make different size shackles. But - this will raise your trailer higher. The step will be farther off the ground, you will likely need to adjust your WDH to keep the trailer level, and there may be other issues. Going to E-F rated tires will likely make the trailer ride more stiffly, bouncing things inside it around more.

As long as you get good quality 14" tires, rated for the trailer weight, and keep them inflated properly, I would think you would be fine.
__________________
Learn from the mistakes of others. You will never live long enough to make them all yourself.

2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
2018 Bullet 272 BHS
PolarisCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 01:31 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog
Senior Member
 
NH_Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Henniker
Posts: 2,347
Simply put, Goodyear Endurance tires 205/75R14D are more than adequate for the Passport I just sold (larger/heavier than your unit). We logged tens of thousands of miles over the last 5 years and had zero issues. Going to larger, heavier, and stiffer tires may have unintended negative consequences for you in the form of a harsher ride and shock transfer to the frame and interior of the camper.
__________________
Rob & Amy
2024 Cougar 29BHL
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 02:15 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 17,834
What do you hope to gain by going to 15" wheels and LRE or LRF tires? A load range D tire in your current size carries approx. 2100lbs. x 4 = 8400 lbs. The gvwr of your trailer is 6500lbs. That gives you about a 29% load capacity reserve above your gvwr. If you deduct the approx. tongue weight, say 845lbs. (6500 x .13), that leaves 5655lbs. That's almost a 33% capacity reserve with your existing tires in LRD. I don't see any reason to upsize the wheels and tires but that's JMO.
__________________
Danny and Susan, wife of 56 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SWB SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:20 AM   #5
mike95776
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: woodland
Posts: 39
Thanks for the reply. The two main reasons for wanting to go with E or F rated tires are better tire mileage (but perhaps the new tires will last 10-15k) and the other reason is that I would like to take it on gravel roads… I just don’t know if the D rated tires will hold up on gravel. As was mentioned stiffer tires will be hard on the trailer and might rattle it to pieces…… hummm?
mike95776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 11:05 AM   #6
Peto
Member
 
Peto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 62
Just remember, mileage on a trailer tire means nothing unless you are moving every day. They typically age out well before any noticeable tread ware occurs.
__________________
2023 25RDS Hideout.
2022 F 250 Super Poopy
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 04:02 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 17,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95776 View Post
Thanks for the reply. The two main reasons for wanting to go with E or F rated tires are better tire mileage (but perhaps the new tires will last 10-15k) and the other reason is that I would like to take it on gravel roads… I just don’t know if the D rated tires will hold up on gravel. As was mentioned stiffer tires will be hard on the trailer and might rattle it to pieces…… hummm?

Going to a "harder oversized" tires to achieve more mileage is a tradeoff with no benefits. RV tires will age out before wearing out so mileage really isn't an issue for nearly all RV folks. Gravel roads? The LRD tires in your size can travel gravel roads just fine. Stiffer tires, CAN beat a light weight trailer to death if there isn't enough weight to "hold them down". LRDs in your tire size are more than adequate IMO. You will probably have just a normal pivot equalizer on your trailer. Upgrading to a cushioned equalizer (MorRyde) would help.
__________________
Danny and Susan, wife of 56 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SWB SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 03:26 AM   #8
Don77
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Duluth
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95776 View Post
Thanks for the reply. The two main reasons for wanting to go with E or F rated tires are better tire mileage (but perhaps the new tires will last 10-15k) and the other reason is that I would like to take it on gravel roads… I just don’t know if the D rated tires will hold up on gravel. As was mentioned stiffer tires will be hard on the trailer and might rattle it to pieces…… hummm?
I put 4 new Goodyear tires on my trailer last year and have put well over 6000 miles on them and they do not look like there is any on them at all.
And those miles were on some of the wurst freeways I have ever seen. also on dirt/gravel roads.
They are D rated. I always run Goodyear tires and never have I had a problem.

Don
__________________
2018 Keystone Springdale SS 202QB
2016 Chevy 2500 HD CC LTZ 6.6 Duramax
Don77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 04:10 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 11,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95776 View Post
Thanks for the reply. The two main reasons for wanting to go with E or F rated tires are better tire mileage (but perhaps the new tires will last 10-15k) and the other reason is that I would like to take it on gravel roads… I just don’t know if the D rated tires will hold up on gravel. As was mentioned stiffer tires will be hard on the trailer and might rattle it to pieces…… hummm?
Going to a higher ply rating won't increase road milage wear results. Dring on good, gradded gravel roads at a REASONABLE speed should not be an issue, however; if your plan ing on off road, i.e. not gravel but natural rocks forget it. Trailer tires are not built for that and neither is the camper.

The vast majority of RVs are not built for washboard roads ( gravel roads that aren't maintained/ graded enough) or non improved dirt roads. Sharp rocks can slice open the sidewalls of any tire and st tires are even more prone.

Trailer tires are different from auto or truck tires. As has been discussed, the typically age out before the wear out. The forces on st tires are completely different in that basically they are back there "along for the ride." The trailer tires are not mounted to steer axles or drive axles. If driven reasonably wear should not be an issue.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:58 PM   #10
Don77
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Duluth
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don77 View Post
I put 4 new Goodyear tires on my trailer last year and have put well over 6000 miles on them and they do not look like there is any on them at all.
And those miles were on some of the wurst freeways I have ever seen. also on dirt/gravel roads.
They are D rated. I always run Goodyear tires and never have I had a problem.

Don
That should have stated THAT THERE IS LITTLE TO NO WARE ON THEM AFTER 6000+ MILES>

Don
__________________
2018 Keystone Springdale SS 202QB
2016 Chevy 2500 HD CC LTZ 6.6 Duramax
Don77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 06:50 AM   #11
Balvar24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Monument
Posts: 186
I've got a 2020 model trailer that had the original tires on it a few weeks ago. Upon inspecting them for this year's trips, I noticed that one of them that had developed a very slow leak was in fact about to split, perpendicular to tread, between the treads. The other 3 tires, looked good. I knew beforehand they were close to aging out, but I really wanted to squeeze one more season out of them. I've got a new set of Carlisle (Carlstar) mounted now.

Mind you, this is a trailer that is stored inside out of the sun since coming home from the lot. I've got about 5000 miles on it. The OEM tires on these things are cheap and of low quality compared to the better known brands out there. I'm not to the point of suggesting everyone go out and replace their brand new tires. I would advise, however, that people do a proper inspection, especially as they age. Had I not removed the tire and given it a good look, I'd never known and been stuck on the side of the road with a hole in my floor.

Just a side by side comparison, between the cheaper tire and the Carlisles that I bought, you can tell a big difference by rubbing your finger over both.

I was debating larger rims, better payload rating, but arrived at the conclusion good tires would be good enough.

Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 07:53 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 27,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
I've got a 2020 model trailer that had the original tires on it a few weeks ago. Upon inspecting them for this year's trips, I noticed that one of them that had developed a very slow leak was in fact about to split, perpendicular to tread, between the treads. The other 3 tires, looked good. I knew beforehand they were close to aging out, but I really wanted to squeeze one more season out of them. I've got a new set of Carlisle (Carlstar) mounted now.

Mind you, this is a trailer that is stored inside out of the sun since coming home from the lot. I've got about 5000 miles on it. The OEM tires on these things are cheap and of low quality compared to the better known brands out there. I'm not to the point of suggesting everyone go out and replace their brand new tires. I would advise, however, that people do a proper inspection, especially as they age. Had I not removed the tire and given it a good look, I'd never known and been stuck on the side of the road with a hole in my floor.

Just a side by side comparison, between the cheaper tire and the Carlisles that I bought, you can tell a big difference by rubbing your finger over both.

I was debating larger rims, better payload rating, but arrived at the conclusion good tires would be good enough.

There are threads warning about "cheap china bombs" going back as long as ST tires. Before that, there were warnings about LT tires on some heavier trailers. Back in 1990 (or around then), Goodyear moved their "Marathon ST tire manufacturing plant from the US to mainland china where they could manufacture the tires at cheaper labor rates. In the process, they "pioneered" chinese control of quality. As far back as 1993, on my Holiday Rambler travel trailer, chinese made ST tires had a reputation of POOR quality. Goodyear recalled the Marathon tires on my trailer (I'd had 2 blowouts by then) and they paid for 4 new Marathon tires. I had them installed and had a blowout on the way home from the tire dealer (about 5 miles from home)....

So, there's nothing new about china bombs that hasn't been reported for well over 50 years, yet there's still "new trailer buyers" who either don't know or won't believe the problems could affect "their new trailer".....

WRONG ANSWER !!!!! china bombs are china bombs, same today as 50 years ago !!!!

Now as for your comment about inspecting the tires (externally) before trips. That's good advice, and can reveal SOME defects and prevent some problems. On the other hand, here are photos of my Trailer King tires from about 8 or 9 years ago. The tires "looked perfectly fine" from the outside, but when demounted from the wheels, the inside of the carcasses on two of the four revealed tread separation at the carcass....

Cheap china bomb tires are not an exception that an owner "might see", it's a 50/50 gamble that you won't have a blowout and damage your trailer before it's out of warranty....

Here's photos of what my TK tires looked like back then. About the only thing china bombs are good for is, IMO, donating to the "WalMart rubber mulch recycling program"......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	46956   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	46957   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	46958   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	46959  
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:15 AM   #13
Balvar24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Monument
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Cheap china bomb tires are not an exception that an owner "might see", it's a 50/50 gamble that you won't have a blowout and damage your trailer before it's out of warranty....
My experience is 25/75.

Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 06:31 AM   #14
Don77
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Duluth
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are threads warning about "cheap china bombs" going back as long as ST tires. Before that, there were warnings about LT tires on some heavier trailers. Back in 1990 (or around then), Goodyear moved their "Marathon ST tire manufacturing plant from the US to mainland china where they could manufacture the tires at cheaper labor rates. In the process, they "pioneered" chinese control of quality. As far back as 1993, on my Holiday Rambler travel trailer, chinese made ST tires had a reputation of POOR quality. Goodyear recalled the Marathon tires on my trailer (I'd had 2 blowouts by then) and they paid for 4 new Marathon tires. I had them installed and had a blowout on the way home from the tire dealer (about 5 miles from home)....

So, there's nothing new about china bombs that hasn't been reported for well over 50 years, yet there's still "new trailer buyers" who either don't know or won't believe the problems could affect "their new trailer".....

WRONG ANSWER !!!!! china bombs are china bombs, same today as 50 years ago !!!!

Now as for your comment about inspecting the tires (externally) before trips. That's good advice, and can reveal SOME defects and prevent some problems. On the other hand, here are photos of my Trailer King tires from about 8 or 9 years ago. The tires "looked perfectly fine" from the outside, but when demounted from the wheels, the inside of the carcasses on two of the four revealed tread separation at the carcass....

Cheap china bomb tires are not an exception that an owner "might see", it's a 50/50 gamble that you won't have a blowout and damage your trailer before it's out of warranty....

Here's photos of what my TK tires looked like back then. About the only thing china bombs are good for is, IMO, donating to the "WalMart rubber mulch recycling program"......
I do not have the Good Year Marathon tires.
When I bought the TT I towed it home (about 150 miles) and had the CHina Bombs replaced. I did not want to see happened to a friend of mine happen to me!
One of his tires blew out on the freeway and caused a lot of damage to the inside of his toy hauler.

Don
__________________
2018 Keystone Springdale SS 202QB
2016 Chevy 2500 HD CC LTZ 6.6 Duramax
Don77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 08:39 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 27,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don77 View Post
I do not have the Good Year Marathon tires.
When I bought the TT I towed it home (about 150 miles) and had the CHina Bombs replaced. I did not want to see happened to a friend of mine happen to me!
One of his tires blew out on the freeway and caused a lot of damage to the inside of his toy hauler.

Don
As far as I can tell, Goodyear no longer produces the Marathon tire line for sale in the North American market. So, except for 20 year old tires "floating around" nobody has Goodyear Marathon tires. Goodyear, when they moved their Marathon production line to china was the "start of the china bomb problem".... Then, china started producing ST tires in their own factories and branded them for resale in the US under Power King, Trailer King, SUMO, and heaven only knows which other brand names. Essentially, the sidewall mold can be changed in about 15 minutes to make Power King into a Trailer King with the "stroke of a mold segment"....

You were, IMO, correct and diligent to replace your OEM china bombs at the very earliest opportunity. There are some members here who won't even tow a new trailer off the lot until the tires are changed out. I can't criticize them for feeling that way and after my experience with my TK tire carcass bubbles, I'll change my china bombs (or have the dealer change them) before I buy and tow a new trailer off the lot as well.....

The reason I even mentioned the Goodyear Marathon is that was the "genesis" that created the china bomb brands.... The goal for cheaper production costs, cheaper ingredients, cheaper shipping, cheaper MSRP all result in a "cheaper tire that's subject to falling into the china bomb stockpile (or trash pile)....
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.