Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2024, 11:40 AM   #1
j_boucher

Passport 190RD

Good day everyone , the wife and I are planning to hit the road Jan 2025 for 1 year of exploring , we have a military LMTV and the plan is to put a Passport 190 RD on the back of it. I was curious if anyone have had major issues with these trailers before we purchase it and begin the transformation to set it on the bed of the truck? This is my 3rd RV so I'm familiar with items that fail from neglect and such. Looking for any ones opinion on the quality or perhaps lack of .

Thanks in advance
j_boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 11:57 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd guess you're looking at "buying new" ???

Have you considered how you're going to mount it on the truck bed? If you remove the axles/suspension to tie the trailer rails to the truck bed, you certainly will be voiding the trailer warranty, at least the structural part of the warranty.... That may not be an important factor, but depending on the suspension and loading of the truck, you may, by removing the trailer suspension, create a "shock condition" that could "shake the trailer aluminum housing apart.....

I'd contact Keystone and discuss with them what you plan and also you might contact Lippert to discuss their recommendations.... No doubt, your first "navigation around the phone tree" at Keystone will probably cause ulcers, if you're diligent, you should be able to get to the engineering department and to someone who can actually answer your questions and make recommendations to avoid what they consider to be "known pitfalls".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 04:38 AM   #3
j_boucher

Yes we are Buying new , Ive been working with a fabricator on securing the frame and allowing it to flex with the truck , Max speed we will encounter will be 55-65 MPH on pavement , slow and steady off.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:09 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I would suggest that the "quality" of the RV is a moot point since it is going to be dismantled and reconfigured on the truck. I figure the suspension of the lmtv will jar the RV structure into bits and pieces in fairly short order if used on rough roads.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 05:20 AM   #5
j_boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would suggest that the "quality" of the RV is a moot point since it is going to be dismantled and reconfigured on the truck. I figure the suspension of the lmtv will jar the RV structure into bits and pieces in fairly short order if used on rough roads.

Not necessarily Ive seen many types of RV units on this type truck , mostly No Boundaries due to the length. I will be removing the tongue, axle, suspension, and jacks. My wife happens to like this model / The question is if they are falling apart as travel trailers with no mods , then I will move to another type. I will be off road but it wont see off road rock climbing and such , mostly forest roads and slow adventures. But if the data shows these trailers have issues as "travel trailers" then I as i stated above then I will move to another type.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:08 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not sure what kind of definitive "data" you will find on the Passport, or any other trailer, that details issues, what caused them, how they were used etc. If you are going by the NoBo trailer then I suspect the Passport is just as good or better once the items that made the NoBo more "off roadish" (higher suspension etc.) are not in consideration. But...

They make specific off road RVs like the EarthRoamer and the ROA Off Road Roamer - why not get something actually built to be used like that? A regular RV is meant to travel down highways and not at all for off road whether it's suspension, framing, wall structures etc. As a note, a group of us used to go hunting in the forests often. We had travel trailers but "the" travel trailer used on those backwoods roads was a specific unit - lower sides creased and bashed, rickety walls from so much frame flex and twisting, gaps here and there, roof patches all over from limbs tearing it - we didn't take our "good" trailers to do that.

The Passport will be about 18' with the tongue removed - will the lmtv accommodate that length without being compromised? Of course it's your money and a "project" but I hate to see anyone open up a money pit without being aware.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 07:21 AM   #7
j_boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm not sure what kind of definitive "data" you will find on the Passport, or any other trailer, that details issues, what caused them, how they were used etc. If you are going by the NoBo trailer then I suspect the Passport is just as good or better once the items that made the NoBo more "off roadish" (higher suspension etc.) are not in consideration. But...

They make specific off road RVs like the EarthRoamer and the ROA Off Road Roamer - why not get something actually built to be used like that? A regular RV is meant to travel down highways and not at all for off road whether it's suspension, framing, wall structures etc. As a note, a group of us used to go hunting in the forests often. We had travel trailers but "the" travel trailer used on those backwoods roads was a specific unit - lower sides creased and bashed, rickety walls from so much frame flex and twisting, gaps here and there, roof patches all over from limbs tearing it - we didn't take our "good" trailers to do that.

The Passport will be about 18' with the tongue removed - will the lmtv accommodate that length without being compromised? Of course it's your money and a "project" but I hate to see anyone open up a money pit without being aware.

I appreciate your input / Yes Ive looked at Earth roamers and others with similar features however unless you have a small fortune to purchase 300K and above they are out of the realm of my income. I own my LMTV and over the year has proven to be pretty reliable the bed will hold over 5000K I will need to extend it 3 feet but its doable. I fully understand what a travel trailer is meant for however people always modify items to suit there needs for projects. I re-searched a habitat to put on the vehicle and Just to buy the material for the habitat is over 30K then the the build out process begins to a tune of 100K.

As previous owner of other RV's I know some trailers are built better than others / I had my cabinets on my Gearbox toy hauler come off the wall after the first trip of a brand new rig. Ive also built my own square top (with wood) on a M116A3 Gov chassis and have logged over 30K miles on and off road combined with zero issues. I know all trailers have limitations my intent to the post was to see if people who own this trailer have had any major issues with them direct from the factory.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:12 PM   #8
Gkri

not the same model, but we have had our passport 221 ML (now sold as 229RK) going on its 4th year, and close to 15K miles. No real issues. Everything has stayed where it belongs and we have been over some rough roads. Perhaps the lighter weight materials have some flex in them to take the beating?

Just be prepared to vacuum a lot the first several thousand miles, most owners agree that there must not be any vacuum cleaners in Elkhart, IN.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:20 PM   #9
j_boucher

Thanks , great info what I was looking for
Old 05-14-2024, 12:37 PM   #10
NH_Bulldog

We just sold our Passport last week after 5 years (2019 240BH). It was very sturdy and reliable. Nothing ever shook loose and we logged close to 50,000 miles in that time. In my opinion, the weakest link is the suspension of the trailer; springs, shackles, etc. Removing all of that in your situation would likely eliminate the most troubles. One thing to also keep in mind is that low point drains, fresh tank drain and waste tank drains all terminate below the lowest part of the trailer frame so you can't just remove the axles and spring hangers and expect to set it flat on the back of the vehicle.

My only real concern here is the height of the combined unit and the higher center of gravity with side to side movement of the entire setup. Designs have up and down movement in mind when these are engineered, not necessarily side to side movement.

It is certainly an interesting endeavor and I would love to see the final product regardless of what brand of RV you ultimately decide to attach.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 01:10 PM   #11
j_boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
We just sold our Passport last week after 5 years (2019 240BH). It was very sturdy and reliable. Nothing ever shook loose and we logged close to 50,000 miles in that time. In my opinion, the weakest link is the suspension of the trailer; springs, shackles, etc. Removing all of that in your situation would likely eliminate the most troubles. One thing to also keep in mind is that low point drains, fresh tank drain and waste tank drains all terminate below the lowest part of the trailer frame so you can't just remove the axles and spring hangers and expect to set it flat on the back of the vehicle.

My only real concern here is the height of the combined unit and the higher center of gravity with side to side movement of the entire setup. Designs have up and down movement in mind when these are engineered, not necessarily side to side movement.

It is certainly an interesting endeavor and I would love to see the final product regardless of what brand of RV you ultimately decide to attach.

I appreciate the info / Well the combined height will be around 13' , I will be removing the bed of truck and installing the camper body onto the frame / and adding Captive spring mounts for flex. . Designs are still in work
Old 05-14-2024, 02:13 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

I know this is s dumb question but if you set the camper in the bed of your mil truck, how will you do the sewer hose and how will you get under if need be? How wide is the bed on the mil truck? Will the camper be on any sort of suspension or hard mounted?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 05:18 AM   #13
Don77

I would be very concerned about the height of that setup.
I would think it will be too tall ( above 13.5 ft ) to be used on the Hiwy.
Just my 2c.

Don
Old 05-15-2024, 05:44 AM   #14
NH_Bulldog

I am not sure what unit you have, but an M1078 has an average frame rail height of 4' 6" and a bed height of right around 5' 1".

My Passport was 10' 6" on it's tires to the top of the AC unit. The frame rails were 1' 8" above the ground. In order to achieve a reasonable finished height for your project (13' 6" is maximum legal height, but I would not exceed 12' 6"), the mounting base height of your vehicle should not exceed 3' 8" and legally cannot exceed 4' 8".

So based on these numbers, a Passport or similar unit is going to be too tall (unless you remove all rooftop projections (AC unit, dome antenna, etc).
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 04:19 AM   #15
j_boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I am not sure what unit you have, but an M1078 has an average frame rail height of 4' 6" and a bed height of right around 5' 1".

My Passport was 10' 6" on it's tires to the top of the AC unit. The frame rails were 1' 8" above the ground. In order to achieve a reasonable finished height for your project (13' 6" is maximum legal height, but I would not exceed 12' 6"), the mounting base height of your vehicle should not exceed 3' 8" and legally cannot exceed 4' 8".

So based on these numbers, a Passport or similar unit is going to be too tall (unless you remove all rooftop projections (AC unit, dome antenna, etc).

Thanks for the info you made it easy for my decision, what I researched earlier the Max was 14.6 but I have recently found a map that is the case out west (where I will be mostly) but from mid to east coast its 13.6 so I don't want the hassle while traveling on the east coast. I'm moving in another direction for the build based off that. On another note how do you like that Godzilla ? Mine runs great (2021) and I Appreciate all the help for all who chimed in with advise

Tags
passport