Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
TomHaycraft

Michelin LTX M/S2 truck tires

JRTJH,

Tires that came stock on the Silverado are Goodyear Eagle LS 2 in 275/55R20 111S. They've worn well, 5 to 6/32s left on the tread, but with 48k miles on them, will likely replace in February, before driving into the Davis Mountains in West Texas with the trailer for Spring Break.

My last measured rear axle weight brought me to 77% of the tire's load rating. As an "LS" tire (Luxury Sport?) they have a 2-ply sidewall, something that I think I'd like a bit more durability with. I'm looking at the Michelin LTX M/S2 tires, they also have a load rating of "111" with speed at "T." With all the superlatives and hype Michelin gives them on their web site, I can't find the details of sidewall and constructions! I know there is much debate about TV tires on this and other RV forums, will start re-reading things in January!

I know we've highjacked this thread, hope the person who made the original post has picked up something from all this.

Thanks again.

Tom
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
x96mnn

Tom,

I bought a set of Michelin LTX M/S2 and they are well worth the extra money! I have close to 15K on them now and you would not know they were used. There are a lot of owners who report getting 60K to 70K miles pout of a set so I look at it as getting two sets of tires.

They do offer a E rated side wall but found it hard to locate them at bog box stores such as Costco and think it was more of a staff issue. I did find them at a Direct Tire in which the price on the truck was better then the big box stores price for the non E rated of 1400cdn tax in installed. If find tires quite and handle much better then the factory but find the smaller bumps make greater noise. Other then that no complaints.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
TomHaycraft

x96mnn,

Thanks for the information on the Michelin LTX's. This was one of 3 tires a local shop recommended. They've been doing work on my vehicles for years and know what I pull. With prices that are competitive to Discount Tire and NTB, only thing I have to do now is decide when open my wallet!

Thanks again.

Tom
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
35mastr

I have the E rated ones. Great tires. I paid around 1200.00 for mine.
[B]Honda 3000IS
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Bluewater

I put a set of the Michelins on this summer and absolutely love them. Very quiet smooth ride..well worth the money.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote