Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
P2C

More tire help needed

Purchased a 2019 Keystone Montana High Country 331RL about a year ago. It came with Rainier ST 235/80 R-16 127/123M tires (LRF) and 16” Aluminum wheels (95 psi).

After experiencing two blowouts with previous campers (don’t remember what brand of tire), I want to have the safest tires available on this camper. I’m also using a TireMinder tpms.

I’ve been reviewing several posts regarding tires and thanks to the expertise of many of you, I have come to a better understanding of tires. But I still have a questions: is there really a better (safer) tire than the Rainier tires with the same size and load range (F)? (I haven’t found one.)

If I step up to an (available) load range G tire, will I will also have to buy higher capacity wheels to carry the increased pressure requirement (110 psi)?.
P2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The rims should have a max PSI stamped on the rear, you might be able to read it without removing the wheel. If you have auto level, you can lift the trailer high enough to get the wheels off the ground if you have to remove one.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
CWtheMan

When comparing tire research on trailers older than 2016 one must consider the possibility the cause of many failures was tire load capacity. When they were being provided with “just” enough load capacity to carry the load of the GAWR axles, they failed, early. Those with such failures used replacements with load capacity reserves, some very excessive. Tire failures on those trailers disappeared. ST tire brands are a tough card to play. I tend to stay away from brand pros & cons. Almost all of them come from China. Many that were built in the USA suffered the same sort of failures, tread separations.

Your LRF OE tires are providing 750# of load capacity reserves per tire. It’s going to be very hard to overload those tires and not know it. I for one would ride on them for at least 3 years.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:42 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2C View Post
Purchased a 2019 Keystone Montana High Country 331RL about a year ago. It came with Rainier ST 235/80 R-16 127/123M tires (LRF) and 16” Aluminum wheels (95 psi).

After experiencing two blowouts with previous campers (don’t remember what brand of tire), I want to have the safest tires available on this camper. I’m also using a TireMinder tpms.

I’ve been reviewing several posts regarding tires and thanks to the expertise of many of you, I have come to a better understanding of tires. But I still have a questions: is there really a better (safer) tire than the Rainier tires with the same size and load range (F)? (I haven’t found one.)

If I step up to an (available) load range G tire, will I will also have to buy higher capacity wheels to carry the increased pressure requirement (110 psi)?.

P2C, I bought a new 2020 331RL in March. It came with Ranier LRF tires. I removed them and had Sailun S637s LRG put on before it left the lot. If like mine your wheels are rated for 110psi.

I upgraded due to the not so stellar reviews of the Ranier, the difficulty in finding one on the road if there was a failure and the added peace of mind of moving up a load range....and the super reviews/history of the Sailun.

Having had a tire "go south" at 65mph on my last trailer and dealing with the ensuing damage, all due to a Trailer King "China Bomb" which had a lower load range than it should have, I now opt for hopefully the best and safest.

For your trailer (mine) the LRF Ranier probably works weight wise. Dependability, peace of mind wise? Not for me. I believe the cost was about 935 and I didn't hesitate one second - in fact it was the first upgrade on my list of "must haves". It's something each person has to weigh but in my mind the tires are one of the most critical factors to towing..if not THE one.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:01 PM   #5
P2C

Thanks for the information. I'm going to check the rims tomorrow to see if they are rated for 110. The paperwork I have shows them to be 95psi - but the wheel will have the real data.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:46 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Look at them and see. They might show psi or weight. I had the dealership check mine before I bought and send me a pic.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #7
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The rims should have a max PSI stamped on the rear, you might be able to read it without removing the wheel. If you have auto level, you can lift the trailer high enough to get the wheels off the ground if you have to remove one.
My wheels have a max load stamped instead of a max PSI. And the hub totally obscured everything on the back of the wheel, forcing me to remove it entirely.

I tried to cheat by scoping the back of my spare, but that wheel was a cheap generic rim with nothing on it.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:17 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

I am a member of several RV forums and have yet to hear of a rim exploding by use of the correct size tire regardless of load rating. I looked up reviews for the Rainier ST tire and it made a 10 best list which also included one tire that gets a lot of mention on this forum:

"Trailer King, a name synonymous with quality in trailer components, brings us its fan-favorite, the ST radial. This top tire choice features superior tracking and road grip, a nylon overlay construction, and an enhanced shoulder design for extra wear resistance. If that’s not enough, enjoy the peace of mind provided by its accompanying manufacturer’s nationwide warranty." (put in this thread for amusement purposes only)

Rainier tires appear to be the go-to OEM for many Jayco lines so you might want to ghost their forum and have a look at what actual Rainier tire owners say.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I'm going to check the rims tomorrow to see if they are rated for 110. The paperwork I have shows them to be 95psi - but the wheel will have the real data.
Tredit was probably the OEM provider for your wheels as they provide Rainier tires.

Looking at their wheels you will see they do not have PSI ratings, just load capacities. When that is so, a PSI up to the load carried is the normal procedure for such wheels.

https://www.tredittire.com/wheels/
Old 08-31-2020, 02:55 AM   #10
bearcat77

My 2019 High Country already had wheels rated for 110. It is stamped on the wheel. Good luck finding the tires you pick right now. Trailer tires seem to be hard to come by right now.
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:24 PM   #11
P2C

Thanks for all the information. Trailer tires do seem to b hard to find especially in the size I need. My local tire dealer suggests a Hercules H-901 G range tire. I have seen good reviews of this one.

Regarding the wheel - on the Tredit website, I identified the wheel on my Montana. It is one of two 16" wheels. They have different load capacities; but more important, one has a 6" width and the other a 7" width. Talking to the Tredit agent, I believe I have the 6" width wheel. She says that is the one Keystone purchases.

The H-901 specifies a minimum rim width of 6.5". Oops! Can this tire fit the 6" wheel?
The dealer says this is not significant. Of course, he wants to sell the tires. What happens if you squeeze a 6.5" tire into a 6" slot? Any comments are appreciated.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:17 PM   #12
CWtheMan

Quote:
Thanks for all the information. Trailer tires do seem to b hard to find especially in the size I need. My local tire dealer suggests a Hercules H-901 G range tire. I have seen good reviews of this one.

Regarding the wheel - on the Tredit website, I identified the wheel on my Montana. It is one of two 16" wheels. They have different load capacities; but more important, one has a 6" width and the other a 7" width. Talking to the Tredit agent, I believe I have the 6" width wheel. She says that is the one Keystone purchases.

The H-901 specifies a minimum rim width of 6.5". Oops! Can this tire fit the 6" wheel?
The dealer says this is not significant. Of course, he wants to sell the tires. What happens if you squeeze a 6.5" tire into a 6" slot? Any comments are appreciated.
Here is their information sheet.

https://www.herculestire.com/tire-de...cules/H-901-ST
Old 08-31-2020, 09:18 PM   #13
LHaven

Given that two of the tires on the information sheet specify 6-7' and the other two specify 6.5-7", I would suspect it is significant.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:32 AM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Given that two of the tires on the information sheet specify 6-7' and the other two specify 6.5-7", I would suspect it is significant.
Yup, the 6.5" is the minimum requirement for those tires.

Note: Did you know that tire manufacturers MUST provide a listing of wheel sizes to all those that retail their tires? The listing must be made available to the public. Many retailers do that by displaying a chart in their sales area. The information on the charts contain the same thing as the reference and may also provide the measuring rim size.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #15
P2C

Everybody - thanks for your comments. You confirmed what I believe. That tire won't fit (safely) on that wheel. To cement that notion, I contacted the rep for Hercules tire, and - after doing some research - he said that the manufacturer would not recommend that combination. (Thanks to Hercules for being so informative.) So, I'm back to finding a suitable tire or continue using the OE LRF Rainier tires. They still have good thread (3/32) and are less than 2 years old.

I'm also going to contact Keystone and ask them why they provided this tire/wheel combination.

Lesson learned: When looking for tires, not only do you have to look at the size and load requirements but also the minimum rim width.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:38 PM   #16
CWtheMan

Quote:
I'm also going to contact Keystone and ask them why they provided this tire/wheel combination.
If they go "by the book" they'll tell you; "because the fitment is appropriate". And "by the book" that will be the correct answer because the tires are way over the RVIA recommendation when inflated to 95 PSI.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

I always understood that putting a tire that requires say a 6.5" rim on a 6" rim would "pinch" the tire and cause the center tread to extend beyond the tread on the edges.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:31 PM   #18
tech740

Quote:
Everybody - thanks for your comments. You confirmed what I believe. That tire won't fit (safely) on that wheel. To cement that notion, I contacted the rep for Hercules tire, and - after doing some research - he said that the manufacturer would not recommend that combination. (Thanks to Hercules for being so informative.) So, I'm back to finding a suitable tire or continue using the OE LRF Rainier tires. They still have good thread (3/32) and are less than 2 years old.

Lesson learned: When looking for tires, not only do you have to look at the size and load requirements but also the minimum rim width.
Post what you find please. I have 16x6 rims also and would like to go to load range G.

EDIT: found these. They are load G and will work on 6 inch wide rims.
https://taskmasterproducts.com/produ...der-st-radial/
Interesting Thread. I had an axle replaced earlier this year under warranty. Because it messed up my tires they replaced those also. I did not get to choose the tire. They put what they called OE equivalent on. My trailer came with Castle Rock 235/85/16F tires. They installed Trailer King RST 235/85/16F tires. Trailer King should not be mounted on anything less than a 6.5 inch rim. I am now going to be working with the dealer to get the correct tires. This is why I real everything on here.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:57 AM   #19
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Post what you find please. I have 16x6 rims also and would like to go to load range G.

EDIT: found these. They are load G and will work on 6 inch wide rims.
https://taskmasterproducts.com/produ...der-st-radial/
Interesting Thread. I had an axle replaced earlier this year under warranty. Because it messed up my tires they replaced those also. I did not get to choose the tire. They put what they called OE equivalent on. My trailer came with Castle Rock 235/85/16F tires. They installed Trailer King RST 235/85/16F tires. Trailer King should not be mounted on anything less than a 6.5 inch rim. I am now going to be working with the dealer to get the correct tires. This is why I real everything on here.
Taskmaster is currently building a tire plant in NC. It's projected to be building tires mid 2021.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:11 AM   #20
ChuckS

you'll find most of the RV aluminum wheels at 6" and the Hercules would have worked just fine... Sailun S637 G rated tires specify 6.5 but an email to them came back as suspected with a response that 6" wheels with their S637 series is just fine...

Im currently running a G rated tire that calls for 6.5 " wheels and have been for over 5 years... way too much hype about "gotta have 6.5" wheel width"

My tires are not "pinched and are not wearing abnormally"

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote