Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
canesfan

Tires and Auto Level Systems

So I've been thinking about this at times and finally remembered to post it. When we were all using boards and such to level our rigs the tires were mostly always all on the ground. Now with the auto level systems I've been in several spots where 2 of my tires were totally off the ground and the other 2 were still on the ground, or 2 were partially off the ground and 2 were on the ground. So now 2 tires are carrying a load and 2 aren't. Granted they are not carrying the full load, the jacks are there too, so it's probably not the same as a blowout where the other tires are now carrying the full load. So what say you, does it matter that 2 tires are carrying some load and 2 are carrying partial to no load? And sitting that way for maybe a week or more?
Old 05-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
notanlines

It would probably be better in the long run if the tires were on a 1x8, just not on the dirt or gravel. Other than that I see no problem with the load factor.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Mikesamoose

I don't think that when the jacks are down that there is the same load on any of the tires as when the rig is being towed or stored. What I have observed is the system takes on enough weight that there isn't a bounce in the springs. So even the tires on the low side have the pressure removed from them.
Mikesamoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #4
Canonman

We've seen the same phenomenon at several Forest Service camp spots. When this happens I go to manual mode and get as close to level as I can with all 4 tires on the ground. Usually works out pretty good verifying with a small bubble level in the fridge.
IMHO having the wheels and jacks on the ground provides the most stability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0484.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	12506  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires