Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2015, 06:29 AM   #1
elbyjo

Possible RV Scam Alert

Traveled from Boise, ID to Elko, Nevada last Sunday. Took a little longer route from Jackpot, NV to Wells, NV, before getting on I80 to Elko. We stopped in the parking lot at a Subway/Burger King for lunch before we got on I80. We left the parking lot and went to a gas station to fill up when I guy in a pickup pulled up in front of us and jumped out to tell us "I have been following you and noticed one of your right side trailer wheels wobbling -- you either have a loose suspension bolt or your lugs are loose. He laid down to the ground and immediately put a small screwdriver toward a bolt in the suspension and said 'This bolt is backing out and needs to be tightened!' Take it over to the Chevron station and I will have a mechanic waiting for you." Yes, I was hesitant, but we went to the Chevron station anyway. The first thing the mechanic looked at was apparent the code of the tires telling him the age. He said "your tires were manufactured in 2011. If they were made in 2010 we would need to replace them because of a Nevada law that doesn't allow tires over 5 years old to be on the highways." I finally pointed out to him about the bolt and he got a power drill and tightened it. He checked the others and they were okay. Asked him how much I owed him and he said "whatever I felt was right". Gave him a $10 and drove around the station to hit the interstate. Driving around the station I noticed enormous piles of tires stacked that were apparently taken off vehicles. None of them really looked worn, but apparently he had convinced a lot of people to get new ones. After thoughts consisted of (1) We came in via a state highway and the road was vacant (2) Didn't see any pickup trailing me on the road (3) If he was trailing me why didn't he follow me into the parking lot where we stopped for lunch and tell me vice at the gas station. BEWARE of this location!
elbyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
{tpc}

That is weird. I almost wonder if the guy didn't loosen a bolt for you while you ate..

I could see him saying a law of tires over 3 years old as well....but maybe he gauged you and decided you might not go for it, so this was the easy way out.

If they tried that on me, I would have told him to call the highway patrol so they can give me my ticket. I tried to look up this so called law on google and I really couldn't find anything.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

THERE IS A SCAM FOR EVERYTHING BEWARE
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
hankaye

elbyjo, Howdy;

So, ... where exactly did this happen, Jackpot, Wells or Elko ?

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #5
mikell

I sold my 5th wheel to a guy from Saskatchewan and he said he to get it needed new tires because the ones on the camper were too old and they wouldn't let him into Canada???????

I never looked it up but he was a real pain but gave me what I was asking???
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #6
cjm

No law in canada on age. When a vehicle or trailer is imported that is not one of the things looked at..
cjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #7
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
elbyjo, Howdy;

So, ... where exactly did this happen, Jackpot, Wells or Elko ?

hankaye
Sounds like in Wells
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Strange story. I can see with me or some old co-workers it may have ended much different. Blocking the free movement of someone can be a crime. Going under my vehicle with tools without asking will be a problem. I would not stand for it period.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #9
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm View Post
No law in canada on age. When a vehicle or trailer is imported that is not one of the things looked at..
5 yrs on tires in Canada, if you get pulled over then that's it you'll have to have your unit towed and tires replaced. Same goes with cars and trucks
Old 06-20-2015, 06:50 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I totally agree with Ken/Claudia. It would be a "cold day down under" when anybody crawled under my trailer or truck without my permission. And a stranger at a gas station certainly wouldn't be anyone I'd give permission to be under my rig. If they started crawling under it without permission, well, I'd be latching onto his pants legs to drag him out from under my rig. If he refused, one of my "buddies" would likely be staring him in the face demanding he get the hell out from under my rig !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Possible RV Scam Alert

I would calmly ask him to remove himself from under my trailer so I could inspect/do the repair as I stood there with 8 3/8 inches of stainless steel .500mag pointed at him.
He probably wouldn't see it until he shimmied out but I bet he would be too busy repairing his underwear for a while to try scamming the next guy.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #12
CarKath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
5 yrs on tires in Canada, if you get pulled over then that's it you'll have to have your unit towed and tires replaced. Same goes with cars and trucks
Hi Steve

Could be so kind as to post or PM a link to the regs on this. I did goggle it and came up empty. I personally have not heard of this in Manitoba. I don't have any issues now with compliance and want to make dam sure I don't

Thanks
Carl
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
Williston324

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarKath View Post
Hi Steve

Could be so kind as to post or PM a link to the regs on this. I did goggle it and came up empty. I personally have not heard of this in Manitoba. I don't have any issues now with compliance and want to make dam sure I don't

Thanks
Carl
X2

Extensive online search revealed nothing. Even called a DOT buddy here in Ontario - never heard of it???
Old 06-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #14
wesaysoracing

As a ASE master heavy truck tech I love to hear some of the stories they tell me ,trying to get me to pay for bogus repairs
wesaysoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #15
Steve S

Quote:
Hi Steve

Thanks
Carl
Hi Carl,

I have two long distance truck driving buddies that have told me this while looking for a trailer. Also while getting different style tires put on the car I asked about it and he also agreed with the 5 yr rule.
I've seen at auction manytimes when there's a pallet of new tires on the block the auctioneer always states the dates on the tires and the expiration date.
I'm very interested if this is just a B.C thing or what the deal is.
Maybe if you call a local tire place in the morning and see what they have to say about it, it would be interesting to know if this is in other provinces or just B.C?
Old 06-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #16
Williston324

Lived in B.C. for many years before moving to Ontario so was confused by the stated 5 year rule. Called the BC Ministry of Transport today and was told there is no 5 year rule. Tire dealers may try to get sales by saying your tires should be replaced but there is no regulation.
I was referred to the Act which states:

vehicle shall be equipped with tires in compliance with sections 7.16 and 7.161 of the regulations.

No tire on a vehicle shall have any of the following defects:
(1) Cord break or air leak;
(2) Tread damage including cracks, cuts or snags in excess of 25 mm in any direction and deep enough to expose the ply cords;
(3) Sidewall cracks, scuffs, cuts or snags to the extent that body cords are damaged or exposed;
(4) Bumps, bulges or lumps apparently caused by separation of the tread or sidewall from the ply cords or by partial failure of the tire structure, including the bead area.
The wheels and tires with which a vehicle is equipped shall be of the same size on one axle.
No wheel shall have loose, missing or defective bolts, nuts or lugs, or bent, loose, cracked or defective rim or wheel flanges.
A wheel shall not have any missing, loose or broken spokes.
Hub caps shall be of such design and construction that minimizes the damage done to an object or injury to a person coming in contact with it.
The tires of a vehicle presented for inspection between May 1 and September 30 shall not be equipped with studs, and during the remainder of the year vehicles equipped with studded tires shall comply with section 19.03 of the regulations.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:17 AM   #17
CarKath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Hi Carl,

I have two long distance truck driving buddies that have told me this while looking for a trailer. Also while getting different style tires put on the car I asked about it and he also agreed with the 5 yr rule.
I've seen at auction manytimes when there's a pallet of new tires on the block the auctioneer always states the dates on the tires and the expiration date.
I'm very interested if this is just a B.C thing or what the deal is.
Maybe if you call a local tire place in the morning and see what they have to say about it, it would be interesting to know if this is in other provinces or just B.C?

Hi Steve

I was at my local GM dealer yesterday and asked the question. Is there any laws or has anybody ever heard of mandatory tire replacement in 5 years . The 2 service writers standing there had never heard of such a thing , however , there was a mechanic standing there as well and he HAS heard of this. He then proceeded to say there are no laws mandating this , but rather a suggested time frame by tire manufactures. So, I can say there are no laws here in Manitoba mandating this.

I was thinking about this last night as well and I also thought of Manitoba's safety inspection requirements.

Quote:
Periodic mandatory inspections

Mandatory vehicle safety inspections are required every six months for:

Buses (unless owned by an individual and used only for personal purposes).
Truck tractors with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 21,953 kg or more (unless registered as a farm truck).

Mandatory vehicle safety inspections are required every 12 months for:

Truck tractors with a GVWR of less than 21,953 kg.
Truck tractors registered for farm use having a GVWR of 21,953 kg or more.
Trucks with a GVWR of 4,500 kg or more unless registered for farm use.
Semi trailers and trailer converter dollies.
Trailers with a GVWR of 4,500 kg or more, except RV trailers and farm trailers.
Buses operated by a church or non-profit organization.
As my truck is licensed over 4500 kg I am required to do yearly safety inspections. I know from that alone there are no laws regarding tire age in Manitoba. Here is what they are doing here for tires and wheel.

Quote:
Item and Method of Inspection Reject If:
Section 9: Tires and Wheels
9-1 Tread Depth
Visually examine all tread wear indicators:
For tires without tread wear indicators, using a
tread depth gauge, measure the tread depth in any
two adjacent major tread grooves at three circumferential
locations spaced approximately equally
around the outside of the tire:
(a) all tires
(b) studded tires (if any fitted)
Note: If a vehicle is presented for an inspection with
studded tires between April 30 and October 1, the
driver should be warned that this is contrary to regulations.
Tread wear indicators contact road in any two adjacent
grooves at three points equidistantly spaced
around the outside of the tire.
(a) less than 1.6 mm (2/32in) tread is remaining
(b) only one tire on drive axle studded, rear driveaxl e tires not studded with front tires studded, 
not all tires studded on a vehicle with frontwheel  drive
9-2 Tread Section of Tire
Visually inspect for:
Front Tires
(a) damage
(b) separation
(c) flat spots and cupping
(d) section repairs
(e) run-out
Rear Tires
(a) damage
(b) separation
(c) flat spots and cupping
(d) section repairs
(e) run-out
Front Tires
(a) has a cut exposing cord greater than 25 mm
(1 in)
(b) has any tread separation, any peeling
(c) tread no longer evident in cupped area
(d) has any breaks, boots, blow-out patches
(e) run-out indicates broken or slipped belt
Rear Tires
(a) has a cut exposing cord greater than 25 mm 
(1 in)
(b) has any tread separation, any peeling
(c) tread no longer evident in cupped area
(d) has any breaks, boots, blow-out patches
(e) run-out indicates broken or slipped belt
9-3 Sidewalls
Visually inspect for:
(a) bulges
(b) cords
(c) matching tire size
(d) valve stems
(e) direction of rotation marking
(a) has any bulges, bumps, lumps apparently 
caused by separation of cords, belts or by partial  failure of the tire structure including the 
bead area
(b) has any wear or damage, such as cuts, that 
exposes cords
(c) mismatching tires - for example: different size 
tires on one axle, or one of a dual pair more 
than 13 mm (0.5 in) different diameter
(d) seriously damaged, leaking
(e) a directional tire is incorrectly mounted
Item and Method of Inspection Reject If:
9-4 Tire Pressure
With use of a gauge, check:
(a) pressure
(a) pressure not within recommended range set 
by vehicle manufacturer or as marked on 
sidewall
9-5 Wheel Nuts, Studs
Visually and manually check:
(a) tightness and thread engagement
(b) ]condition
(c) cross threading
(a) loose, inadequate thread engagement
(b) cracked, crooked, missing, seized from rust
(c) cross-threaded
Out of Service Criteria:
(i) missing nuts exceed 25% of total nuts on a 
wheel
9-6 Wheels
Visually inspect each wheel:
(a) stud holes (of wheels removed for brake check)
(b) condition
(c) repaired damage
(d) centre-lock knock-off type
(a) stud holes elongated
(b) rim or disc is crooked, bent, cracked: spoke 
broken, missing
(c) field welded
(d) loose on hub splines
9-7 Tire Type
Visually inspect:
(a) examine for tire type
(a) equipped with both bias ply tires and radial 
ply tires on same axle or with radial ply tires 
on front axle and bias ply tires on rear axle
Out of Service Criteria:
(i) any tire that is part of a single wheel mount 
on any vehicle has any part of the breaker 
strip or carcass ply showing in the tread, or 
worn-through plies in the sidewall
(ii) a tire is marked “NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE” or 
otherwise marked and having a like meaning 
except Slow Moving Vehicles carrying a Slow 
Moving Vehicle triangle 
Sorry for the long post......I hope it helps.

Carl
Old 06-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #18
Steve S

This is all interesting, sounds more like the typical rumors that fly around the interweb and get spread around by word of mouth
It's strange though that many people have heard about it but I've never read about a person being pulled over for it.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #19
CarKath

I think it is safe to say . as OP said " Possible Scam" . I would call it confirmed. Somebody tried to scam them. It is sad we all have to watch out for people like that. What ever happened to honesty and integrity.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #20
hankaye

CarKath, Howdy;

Quote:
I think it is safe to say . as OP said " Possible Scam" . I would call it confirmed. Somebody tried to scam them. It is sad we all have to watch out for people like that. What ever happened to honesty and integrity.
Went out the door when Michel Douglas uttered the line in Oliver Stone's
"Wall Street", as Gorden Geecko, "Greed is GOOD.". It set the tone for
what we see now as it became the marching order for the dot com-ers and
the following whatever-ers. Just my opinion ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote