Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
Fishhawk

Cougar HC 321 RES or 299RKS query

Earlier, I posted this in the wrong forum ...sorry..

We are thinking about trading for a 2014 Cougar 321RES bumper pull or a 5th wheel 2014 model 299 RKS
We really like what we're seeing and the research results so far have all been positive

But, the really useful info always comes from the folks who have ...been there... done that ....and have owned the product.

I would appreciate any input and actual experience you folks have on these models
Or, if you can recommend another model with similar floor plan

Thanks for your time

Hawk
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
billb800si

We had a 2014 321RES. Nice floor plan. Shower was a little small. No room under the bathroom cabinet to store much. Never used the opening in the front wardrobe to the pass thru outside storage. Replaced the microwave 3 times in two months. Also replaced the toilet(leaked).
Frameless windows are nice but the crank out mechanisms are very fragile. If it starts to bind DO NOT force it. Just go outside and manually help it along.
You'll find yourself constantly readjusting the power stabilizers. For some reason power stabs are NOT as sturdy as manual stabilizers.

The outside pass thru storage area is very narrow. If anything is in the middle area it's very difficult to access. The roof A.C. vents do NOT have adjustable louvers on them to close them off. They do turn for direction though.

Winterizing was a pain in the butt. All trailers should winterize using the water pump to fill the lines with anti-freeze and have a 3 way bypass on the water tank (321RES doesn't have that).

You're going to find that the window wood shades are nice looking but they do make noise when people are moving around.
Whatever you choose have fun.
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Fishhawk

Bill
Thanks for your time!

All of your input are good things to know and check out
We're looking at this model Tuesday

Do you still have your 321?
I noticed you said
"We had"

Regards
Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
We had a 2014 321RES. Nice floor plan. Shower was a little small. No room under the bathroom cabinet to store much. Never used the opening in the front wardrobe to the pass thru outside storage. Replaced the microwave 3 times in two months. Also replaced the toilet(leaked).
Frameless windows are nice but the crank out mechanisms are very fragile. If it starts to bind DO NOT force it. Just go outside and manually help it along.
You'll find yourself constantly readjusting the power stabilizers. For some reason power stabs are NOT as sturdy as manual stabilizers.

The outside pass thru storage area is very narrow. If anything is in the middle area it's very difficult to access. The roof A.C. vents do NOT have adjustable louvers on them to close them off. They do turn for direction though.

Winterizing was a pain in the butt. All trailers should winterize using the water pump to fill the lines with anti-freeze and have a 3 way bypass on the water tank (321RES doesn't have that).

You're going to find that the window wood shades are nice looking but they do make noise when people are moving around.
Whatever you choose have fun.
Happy trails,
Old 08-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Fishhawk -
According to Bill's signature, he still lists his RV as a Cougar HC 321 RES. He may have changed RV's and not updated his signature.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
suza

We like rear kitchen

Not the same, but we chose the 279RKS for the rear kitchen. It gives a more open main space, rather than cutting it in two with a middle kitchen and rear living room, has a lot of counter, and I love the big rear window being in the kitchen (we don't camp where it gets terribly warm so heat is not a big deal; most of our Oregon campgrounds are well shaded.

The kitchen in the 299RKS is configured a bit differently. We looked at a similar floor plan, but were concerned with the rear fridge. I don't know, having never had a rear fridge, but my concern was that the contents of the fridge would be bounced around more than with the fridge situated toward the middle of the RV as in the 279RKS. Just MHO.

Other than the usual complaints (we, too, are dealing with a leaky toilet) we still are happy with our choice.

Hope this helps.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:21 AM   #6
Fishhawk

Thanks!!

We'll check out the floorplan on the 279rk

You folks have some beautiful camping areas in Oregon!!

Back in the 80's, We used to live in Oregon City

Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
Not the same, but we chose the 279RKS for the rear kitchen. It gives a more open main space, rather than cutting it in two with a middle kitchen and rear living room, has a lot of counter, and I love the big rear window being in the kitchen (we don't camp where it gets terribly warm so heat is not a big deal; most of our Oregon campgrounds are well shaded.

The kitchen in the 299RKS is configured a bit differently. We looked at a similar floor plan, but were concerned with the rear fridge. I don't know, having never had a rear fridge, but my concern was that the contents of the fridge would be bounced around more than with the fridge situated toward the middle of the RV as in the 279RKS. Just MHO.

Other than the usual complaints (we, too, are dealing with a leaky toilet) we still are happy with our choice.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhawk View Post
Thanks!!

We'll check out the floorplan on the 279rk

You folks have some beautiful camping areas in Oregon!!

Back in the 80's, We used to live in Oregon City

Hawk
279RKS is a fifth-wheel, if that matters. Loads of room. Haven't found anything about the floor plan we don't like - except mayber the "head banger" chandelier above the dinning table that we intend to replace with a flush mount fixture.

We love Oregon. DH was born here and I've lived here since 1966. One of our sons lives in Sandy. There are so many great campgrounds and different landscapes. Makes it hard to "Get out of Dodge" Please, come visit!
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:

We love Oregon. There are so many great campgrounds and different landscapes. Makes it hard to "Get out of Dodge" Please, come visit!
When you have discovered a great fishing hole, you never tell anyone about it.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
Fishhawk

Thanks for the invite!
It has been toooo long since we enjoyed the beautiful PNW

Retired, so real reason not to think about a trip

These Arkansas summers are starting to melt us old folks anyhow

Enjoy!!!!

Quote:
279RKS is a fifth-wheel, if that matters. Loads of room. Haven't found anything about the floor plan we don't like - except mayber the "head banger" chandelier above the dinning table that we intend to replace with a flush mount fixture.

We love Oregon. DH was born here and I've lived here since 1966. One of our sons lives in Sandy. There are so many great campgrounds and different landscapes. Makes it hard to "Get out of Dodge" Please, come visit!