Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #1
tmaxx

Question Passport Ultralite 252BH - good price?

I currently have a 2001 Coleman Mesa popup being towed by a 2006 Volvo XC90 (4.4L V8 with 5000lb towing capacity). We are looking to upgrade to a trailer. We found a 2013 Passport Ultralite 252BH trailer at an RV dealer in Lexington, KY which we can tow with our Volvo. The 252BH is 4200 pounds. The camper is currently listed at $18,000. The dealer dropped this down to $17,000 right away. Then they said they would give us $1820 for our popup bringing the driveway cost ~ $15,200. We would need to buy a electric brake kit ($185) and weight distribution ($510) as well.
Does this seems like a fair deal or is there more room to negotiate? This is my first time buying a trailer so I am not sure of how much room there is to negotiate the price.
The trailer is in really good condition - electric awning, flat screen TV, DVD player, outside gas grill, all aluminum structure....
tmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

New 2013 Passport 252BH models can be found on the internet with advertised pricing in the $18K range, so $17K for a used one isn't a "spectacular offer".... Depending on the optional equipment, condition and dealership's commitment to service the trailer for a period of time after purchase, it may be an "OK" deal, but it's certainly not a "steal" for you.....

I'd be concerned with the towability of that big a trailer with your vehicle. You stated that your tow rating is 5000 lbs. The trailer weighs 4300 lbs "empty", by the time you add propane, battery, spare tire and count the weight of the hitch, you're going to be at your maximum rating. This is before you add any personal items, camping items, tools, recreational equipment, dishes, pots and pans, linens, food or beverages to the mix...

I'd think you're going to be in over your head with this size trailer and that tow vehicle not to mention that it's, at best, an "average price" if it's in excellent condition.

You might want to seriously look at buying new for about $1000 more and getting the warranty and dealer support for the first year as part of the purchase price, but be very cautious about what you can tow with your Volvo. It's going to struggle significantly with that size load and you'll probably be "white knuckle" driving it more often than with a smaller RV or a bigger TV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #3
tmaxx

Educate me here... If I want to know the total weight of the RV equipped with all options, isn't that on the sticker on the side of the RV? Or, do you have to take what is listed on the sticker and add on additional weight for all options such as spare tirem propane, battery etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
New 2013 Passport 252BH models can be found on the internet with advertised pricing in the $18K range, so $17K for a used one isn't a "spectacular offer".... Depending on the optional equipment, condition and dealership's commitment to service the trailer for a period of time after purchase, it may be an "OK" deal, but it's certainly not a "steal" for you.....

I'd be concerned with the towability of that big a trailer with your vehicle. You stated that your tow rating is 5000 lbs. The trailer weighs 4300 lbs "empty", by the time you add propane, battery, spare tire and count the weight of the hitch, you're going to be at your maximum rating. This is before you add any personal items, camping items, tools, recreational equipment, dishes, pots and pans, linens, food or beverages to the mix...

I'd think you're going to be in over your head with this size trailer and that tow vehicle not to mention that it's, at best, an "average price" if it's in excellent condition.

You might want to seriously look at buying new for about $1000 more and getting the warranty and dealer support for the first year as part of the purchase price, but be very cautious about what you can tow with your Volvo. It's going to struggle significantly with that size load and you'll probably be "white knuckle" driving it more often than with a smaller RV or a bigger TV.
tmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The sticker on the side of the vehicle does not give the weight of the trailer. It gives the maximum GVW and the maximum Cargo capacity. There are also comments about the "fresh water capacity" and the weight of the water contained in all the "waste water tanks". Nowhere on the vehicle will you find the actual "weight of the trailer as built". To get that figure, you'll have to tow it to a certified scale and weigh it.

The figures I used are the shipping weight for that model. Shipping weight does not include any optional equipment, propane, battery or holding tank contents. So, if there is optional equipment (grills, spare tire, slide awnings, grill mount, etc) the weight must be added to the shipping weight, then the battery and box (about 50 lbs) and propane at 4.2 lbs per gallon and any additional equipment the dealership adds (such as sewer hoses, water hoses, regulators, tool kit, levels, etc)

Unfortunately, you can't look at a sticker on the side of the RV and get anything but a maximum allowable weight and possibly a "best guess" at actual weight because any "extras" like the battery, propane, accessories and dealer installed options are added to the trailer after the label is attached. Those items must be included in the weight and deducted from the "maximum allowable cargo capacity" I know it's confusing, but that's just the way calculating the weights goes. Your best bet is to tow it to a scale and be sure......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
GaryWT

Anything said here to to help you to have a good experience. Take dry weight or unloaded weight from yellow sticker on door or brochure and add 1000-1200 pound. Not an exact science but an estimate. Use this number and figure your tongue weight. Subtract this from the payload of the Volvo. Also subtract the hitch weight and anything else in the Volvo to see if you have enough payload. If you have enough payload and find a loaded trailer under 5000 then it might be doable.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #6
So Cal CPA

I dont mean to burst your bubble but that trailer is going to be in excess of your vehicles tow rating. From the factory it weighs in at 4,269 lbs plus battery (maybe 2), propane, camping equipment, cloths, food, and miscelaneous items I bet my salary you are over 5,000 lbs.

Rather you be safe than sorry...
Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

tmaxx -

I think you may be assuming that because the Volvo has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs and the Passport's shipping weight is approximately 4200 lbs., you are 800 lbs "underweight" and have that much "room to spare". As pointed out in the above posts, this assumption is not correct. By the time you factor in the other variables and additional weights which I don't believe you have included in your calculations, you will have no room to spare but are most likely overloaded. As JRTJH suggested, if you want to find out the measured, real weights, the best route is to go to a weigh scale.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
05kzep241

Get them to throw the WD and e-brake for the agreed price, in other words if they can give you 1800 for your pop up, try to get 2500 for the pop up. They will make a huge profit out of that pop up and out of the new rv.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
05kzep241 is offline   Reply With Quote