Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
cabinfever

LED bulbs in the house.

Just changed out a 60 watt CFL with a 60 watt LED. Not only is it brighter, no frequency pollution, no mercury, and the best.....will use half the electric as a CFL. I would highly recommend trying one.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
f6bits

How is the color and coverage? I have CFLs most everywhere, but would like to migrate to LED in time.

Where'd you get the light? What brand/model?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Are you dug out yetl
Curious , did you buy it on lne as others have for their trailer leds ?
If so vendor?

Be Safe and Happy Camping.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
outwest

The higher watt / high lumen led bulbs for 120v fixtures aren't easy to find in my area (smallish sized town), but I agree that they're well worth the hunt and the upgrade. Changed out all of our lights for business to them and what a difference! I've experimented with different color temps and so far I prefer the 5000K. 5000K throws off a white light, but without that hint of blue that 5500K and 6000K have.

Some of the first ones I bought for biz, I got from a 3rd party vendor on Amazon but they were a bit on the blue side and had a 20% failure rate I left product review warning others about failure rate. Thankfully Amazon has a good 30-day return policy that all 3rd party vendors must adhere to.

We have some light fixtures in the house that leds aren't quite right for, but stocked up on traditional incandescent bulbs for those. Everything else is getting switched over, though.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

I did conversions in my recessed kitchen ceiling lights. Sylvania kits including trim and dim-able. All the rest of my medium based bulbs I have replaced with Cree soft white bulbs from Home Depot 40w-60w-75w equivalent. (Also available in "Day-Light") I have yet to find a candelabra based LED bulb that does not hum or is a harsh color temp. Still using CFLs in two of those fixtures. All exterior and low voltage landscape lighting is LED too. They have come a long way. The CREE bulbs even have a shatter proof coating so if broken the glass stays together. Another thing that needs improving is narrow beam spots for dim-able track lighting. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:47 AM   #6
cabinfever

I bought a GE bulb and the light is whiter. The coverage seems to be about the same as a 60 watt CFL. The light I put it in is in a corner so light distribution is not the best from there to start. My next bulb will be a Cree from Home Depot. They are made in the USA and I would like to see if there is any difference in light. The bulb is also much cooler than the CFL.

2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
Old 03-28-2014, 05:20 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
I bought a GE bulb and the light is whiter. The coverage seems to be about the same as a 60 watt CFL. The light I put it in is in a corner so light distribution is not the best from there to start. My next bulb will be a Cree from Home Depot. They are made in the USA and I would like to see if there is any difference in light. The bulb is also much cooler than the CFL.
You will like the Cree. I don't see them getting any better than this. My local HD had the 60w on sale for $4.97 yesterday. 75w and 40w were $15 and $13 regular price. I wish they would make a candelabra base bulb.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:44 AM   #8
cabinfever

Hank....from the reading I have done I would not be surprised to start seeing all forms of household LEDs soon. I even read an article that predicts the CFL will be obsolete in less than 10 years. You should send an email to Cree and ask if they have plans for bulbs of that size in the near future. Might also want to offer your house as a test facility! LOL

2013 Springdale 303BHSSR