Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
Renoman

New Endurance tires and trailer jacking

I have read plenty of posts about tires and jacking all over the internet. Well I thought I'd just post what I'm doing. I bought a set of Goodyear Endurance tires from Discount Tire to replace the Towmax tires I've been using for the last 4 years. I have an appointment next week to have them installed. I don't trust most anyone to work on my cars, trucks or trailer. I'm a competent mechanic although a DIYer. Anyway I intend to remove all four wheels and tires and have the tires replaced at Discount Tire. I'm using a 12 ton bottle jack which is sitting on a 4x6 board which is sitting on an 8" wide steel rim in order for the jack to reach and raise the frame safely. The other side is chocked and stabilizing jacks are up. I'm raising the frame next to the forward spring attachment bracket. Interestingly, the frame only needed to be raised 2-1/4" in order for the tandem axles to be lifted far enough off the ground for both tires to clear the ground. I have two spare wheels and tires. I'm going to use one on each side on the forward axle so I can lower the trailer back on the ground. On the rear axle I thought of using a jack stand saddle between the u-bolts near the brake backing plate to support some of the trailer weight on the axle which I'm not placing a spare tire upon. This is just temporary until I re-install the new tires. I've read where the trailer shouldn't be lifted at the axle but it's ok below the u bolts and read where the trailer shouldn't be lifted from the frame. Go figure. I'll be doing the same thing to both sides of the trailer. I own a 2012 Keystone Cougar 24RKSWE trailer. For me this is the most efficient and safest way to do all four tires at the same time. Any comment appreciated. Thanks for looking.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

It would be a great idea to put your camper's year/make and model in your signature along with your tow vehicle so folks won't have to ask if there is a question regarding the same. Sounds like you know how to jack up the trailer and get the tires changed. Welcome.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #3
Renoman

I had the new GY Endurance tires installed and balanced. One thing I forgot but later resolved were the wheel valve stems. I realized that the Sendel T02 wheel was rated for a 3200# load at 95psi. The GY Endurance is rated at 2830# at 80psi. The Sendel wheels had rubber valve stems which may have been high pressure, I don't know. I had been running the TST 507 TPMS non flow-thru sensors on these stems for 4 years without a problem. I noticed some wear on the rim caused by centrifugal force on the stems with the sensors installed. Since I was going with the GY Endurance I decided to go with metal valve stems. I guess I could have used high pressure metal/rubber stems but felt metal stems were a more reliable option if I was going to run the tires at 80psi which I'm wondering if I should do so. Problem was, Discount Tire didn't have the VS-902W valve stems. I also read where a Ford truck Haltec HAN-1600 valve could be used. The Sendel wheel has a recessed valve stem hole in the cast aluminum wheel and the standard metal valve stem nut and washer aren't designed for a recessed install. Discount Tire did have an alternate stem which was the VS-925C which was identical in installation as the 902W but was designed for a TPMS sensor that bolted onto the inside of the stem. I could have used these by simply not installing a TPMS. I went to Les Schwab a few miles away and they had the VS-902W style stem. The tech said they were Dill but they weren't stamped as Dill. I noticed the ones at Discount Tire were Dill and they were made in China. Oh well, I guess the ones from Schwab were from China too. So I feel good about using VS-902W style metal stems on the Sendel aluminum wheels with the GY Endurance tires since the package is rated above my trailers GVW of 7200# and a GVW of 4400# per axle. I'll get the trailer weighed in the future to make sure. I inspected my old Power King Towmaster tires since I'm going to use them on a utility trailer. There was no tire separation that I can tell. I was running these load E tires with 65psi even though they could have been inflated to 80psi. Not sure if this was detrimental but the old tires still looked good. Obviously, one can't tell what's going to happen with used tires. They're over 4 years old now. I guess what I learned is to make sure metal valve stems are available when installing new tires if they are needed or wanted. What's interesting is the Dill VS-902W can be hard to find in parts stores. I'm glad Schwab had them otherwise I'd probably use the VS-925C Discount Tire had. Cost for these stems at Schwab was $5.99 each. I guess I could have ordered them online for less, who knows. I just feel better using them. I know this info is probably old hat and probably discussed over and over. I figure the more information available is better. Thanks for looking and happy travels.
Art
Old 08-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Welcome to the world of real tires! You will find an inflation vs load chart for them on the Goodyear site. Also a very good decision to use metal valve stems with your TPMS as they all state that is what they need.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:54 PM   #5
Falcon67

Old thread but I had Discount Tire replace the tires on our 34' Continental Cargo race trailer last year. I pulled it there, they did the work including mounting the spare and putting it back in the trailer. I paid, I left. They do good work and the tires are under a full warranty. I don't even own enough jacks to lift a 10,000lb trailer. When we got our new F-350 DRW, I paid Discount for a full tire warranty on the new truck. Easy enough. I DIY a lot, including building our 24x40 shop, race engines and trans work, etc, etc. But - some things are just not worth my time. Dealer does my oil changes too. Just not worth the hassle to DIY, the savings is nill.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:03 PM   #6
gearhead

I just put 6 new Coopers on my Ram. It was a bit pricey including the DT "Certificates".
My dealer does my oil changes. I buy the oil & filter at WalMart & Amazon and they charge $10 labor. I might look stupid but...
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:19 PM   #7
Falcon67

Not a bit. There's no place to recycle oil here, have to tote it 20 miles. And they only take so much, and not rear end or trans fluid. It's enough work to dispose of the 16 quarts in the race cars lol. I make an appointment at the Lincoln dealer and they fix it up while we shoot the breeze about the local racing scene. It's maybe $15-20 more than doing it in the driveway. So well worth it. Plus they do any warranty work on our trucks.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:12 PM   #8
markdol1

check your local service stations garages and body shops. some take used motor oil that some heating system runs on in cold weather they are glad to take your used oil!
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires