Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
Garyl53

Feathering on outside edges of 5th wheel tires

Anyone know what this would indicate as far as alignment? I just had the axles aligned last year after new tires but appears something is still not correct.
Thanks for any advice.
Garyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
dcg9381

All 4 tires (assuming you have 2 axles) are worn on the outside edges? Can you post a photo?

I'd say that if it's worn on the outside edges, you've got a positive camber problem:

And your axles are bent too much, as in figure 4 of this link (shows positive camber):
http://patentimages.storage.googleap...218-D00002.png

I'd think this is unusual, there should be some positive camber built in to counter the natural bend of the axles as the trailer gets loaded. As the trailer loads, the camber is going to tend to go negative. If you look at the 7k tubes on my trailer, they are intentionally bent "up" creating camber on the wheels.

There are a few $30-$50 tools to check camber, but if it's off, especially positive, the "fix" is probably going to mean replacing that axle with an axle that has the right amount of bend.

I would expect an alignment shop to be able to check camber, but maybe they don't as it's usually non-adjustable on trailers. Another possible cause would be running the trailer completely empty / unloaded for long periods of time, which would mean that the axles retain most of their natural positive camber instead of going more neutral due to trailer loading....
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
slow

After 3 years of running the Trailer Kings with close to 17,000 miles on them before being replaced, the outside edges of all 4 TK tires were worn ~3/32" more than the rest of the thread (with no surface irregularities on the surface). I considered dealing with the possible "positive camber" issue, but concluded that it was not worth it since I am replacing tires every three years anyway.

BTW: My trailer has 4400# axles that are loaded to ~5,100 lbs or 2,550 each (on average ~58% of their capacity).
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyl53 View Post
Anyone know what this would indicate as far as alignment? I just had the axles aligned last year after new tires but appears something is still not correct.
Thanks for any advice.
Define feathering so we're all on the same page. Pics would be great.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:58 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Yes pics would be great. When I think of feathering the first thing that comes to mind is toe out of adjustment. The outside edge makes me think camber. Feathering of outside edge sounds like a combination of both.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
gearhead

My previous Maxxis' were doing it. The scrub axle mostly. I rotated them last fall during the bearing repack. I need to remember to rotate the new Carlisles.
I think it was John that went back and forth with me on here about it. I believe what I did was get a 3ft level and set it on top of the axle in the center to give me a rough idea how much crown I had.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
Garyl53

Hi,
I will get some pictures this weekend but what I mean is that if I run my hand over the tire it is very smooth except for the outside tread blocks. They appear to have developed a ramp on them (sort of) so that when you rub your hand you can feel the front edges. The average tread measures the same both inside and outside. Really weird.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
Garyl53

Here is a definition of Tire Feathering:

When you run your hand over the tread blocks, they will feel like saw teeth. Heel/toe wear typically occurs in a shoulder rib and is often caused by excessive positive or negative toe. Feather edge tire wear: Tires are “feathered” when the tread ribs are worn lower/smoother on one side and higher/sharper on the other.

I guess I should have looked up "Feathering" before I used the term I don't know why I would have a toe problem given the recent alignment but maybe I should have it rechecked. Maybe I can deal with this just by rotating tires every year to the opposite sides.

Tags
5th wheel, tires