Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

John brings up good points. In my calculations for buying a diesel I usually use the up front cost and not so much the trade in value which is really an error...I don't think that far ahead on vehicles and usually don't care I guess.

When I first seriously considered a diesel in 2012 I contacted my son who has been in the car business for decades and has overseen the values placed on trades and new car sales. He advised me 1) buy diesel, 2) buy Ford and 3) I would get a better resale. At that time he said it averaged about 4k more for a diesel trade in vs a comparably equipped gas model. I chose gas anyway.

I am a hard headed guy, used to love building my gas engines and loved the sound of a "big V8". In these days I think I'm being more and more swayed to the diesel and will have to let my love of the V8 gas engine start to give way to the torque of a diesel.....for my truck at least I had just visited this morning with a guy about a new Tahoe. May have to stay with my current SUV and start looking at a new diesel pickup. I would have gone with a Dodge but since I remembered my son's recommendations I may have to change Until I moved from Ford in 1992 I had bought 37 new Fords for personal use and loved them...but then I had issues; both trucks and cars so quit. Maybe I'll have to move to uncharted territory....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

LOL sourdough,

Your son gave you some good advice. It sounds like you discount your "kid's advice" much the same as I do my kid's advice... After all, we taught them all they know..... Or so the story goes LOL

Anyway, last summer when I finally gave in to my diesel wish, I started looking for a 1:1 trade for a 2013 diesel as a replacement for my 2013 gas truck. I wanted the same options, color wasn't an issue, and about the same mileage (less than 36,000). I found that every used diesel I looked at (from 2011 to current) was within 10K of a similarly equipped new truck and many of them were within 3K or 4K of new pricing. I found a 2014 F250 lariat with 32000 miles on it. The asking price for it was the same as the price I paid for my new 2015 lariat, and my NEW truck has more optional equipment than the 2014 had. I've no doubt I could have probably bought the 2014 for less after negotiating, but the price would have been so close to "new truck pricing" that it wouldn't have made sense (to me, anyway) to buy a used truck with the "bumper to bumper warranty" almost gone (only 4000 miles left).

It may be significantly different in other market areas, but up here, a "recent model" used diesel costs about as much as a new one. I haven't been on the "trade in side" of the table with a diesel, but they sure are "proud" of them around here.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #23
gtsum2

Congrats on new rig. Open range has some nice units for sure. Diesels just do the job better especially with the exhaust brake coming down hills. I doubt I ever buy a gas truck again. Diesels just do it all better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk