Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
Lrdchaos

Outback 323bh

I'm looking at purchasing this rv. I have a concern about the super slide. All of the other rv's I look at have 2 slides. This has one big slide down most of the side. Why is is this the only unit like this? Would it eventually start to sag due to the weight?

Thanks in advance.
Lrdchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Lrdchaos -
Yes, the 323BH does have a very long slide out which is made up of a sofa on one side, a dinette in the middle and another sofa bed on the other. It does, however, have another smaller slide on the other side of the RV with a stove, fridge and what looks to be a small counter between the two.

There is another Outback, the 300RB, that is almost identical in floor plan except that it has a queen bed instead of a sofa.

You would think that these units with a very large slide out and the additional weight would be designed and constructed so that it would be adequately supported and not sag. I am assuming that the design folks/engineers at Keystone and elsewhere know what they're doing and wouldn't have such a large slide if it was too heavy and would droop when extended. Is this too much to assume?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I have a nephew who just recently purchased an Outback 323. It does have an ENORMOUS slide, but during setup and breaking camp, it functions much the same as my "normal size" slide. I didn't notice any bucking, twisting or strange movement when the side was being extended or retracted. When it is out, the floor does seem very rigid and appears supported well.

The only complaint came from his mother and father who complained that the air sofa sleeper was very VERY uncomfortable. They said they just couldn't get comfortable on it. They have never complained about our air bed sofa in the Springdale nor about the conventional convertible sofa in our Cougar, so that might be something to watch.

There are a couple of fifth wheels (not Keystone) that have "full side slides" which are as long or longer than the slide in the 323.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
TAZ23

There is also the Outback 320BH with a "full wall slide" as Keystone calls it, although it is being fazed out and listed as stock only on Keystones website. We have one of these that we bought new in March of 2012. Nearly two full summers in it and no problems at all with the slide out or the walls sagging. In fact we are very pleased with it and have never had to return it to the dealer for any kind of work. just minor issues that are easily fixed. As JRTJH said the slide opperates the same as The other slides and the floor is solid. I believe that my slide is about 19.5 feet long.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Lrdchaos

Thanks for the quick responses. I believe this unit is in the top 3 for sure. It's good to know there are other units with large slides as well.
Lrdchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
TxAggie95

Did you ever buy the 323BH? Comments / Advice to a first time TT buyer interested in the Outback 323?

Thx,

Chris
Huffman, TX
TxAggie95 is offline   Reply With Quote