Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2023, 06:34 AM   #1
chrisphussle

Wiring Diagram For 2006 Keystone Springdale Model #269 RLLS

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for a 2006 Keystone Springdale Model #269 RLLS they could share?
chrisphussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 06:50 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Keystone would be the only ones and they don’t share. What are you trying to figure out?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 07:02 AM   #3
chrisphussle

I have two 12V 100Ah batteries and a 5000W 24V inverter I want to integrate into my existing 12V system. Also want to incorporate a solar charge controller w/some portable solar panels to charge everything. I aim to install some manual transfer switches (toggle switches) that will enable me to switch some of the 120V circuits over to inverter power when we're boondocking. However, I don't want to feed the converter with 120V power from the inverter. I'm an electrician and can probably figure it out and map it myself. Just trying to find whatever resources that may be out there before I really dig into it.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:19 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Is your trailer 50A or 30A?

I have installed inverters without pass through in 50A trailers with moving some circuits around. I would still use a transfer switch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:30 AM   #5
chrisphussle

It's 30A. I've been thinking about this this morning and drawing it out. I think I may throw the two 100Ah 12V batteries I have up in the front under the bed along with the inverter. I'm thinking I can intercept the selected 120V circuits coming out of the panel with some illuminated toggle switches. Then I can turn the breakers off and turn the switches on from the inverter so that the panel doesn't back feed to energize the panel buss that which in turn would engage the converter/trickle charger. Thinking this is the simplest way to do it with the equipment I have.

I'll also throw a 12V and 24V solar charger controller in and one each small 12V and 24V portable solar panel. We don't use a lot of power when boondocking. Between using the Keurig a few times in the morning, the microwave sometimes, and charging our devices, I think it'll be sufficient enough to keep everything charged.
2006 Keystone Springdale Model #269 RLLS
2017 Ford F-250
Nevada
Old 02-12-2023, 09:15 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

IMO an automatic transfer switch would be the easiest way to wire it up, and just flip the CON breaker. K.I.S.S. as I say.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:37 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you're using parts you have at home to modify the trailer system...

Looking at it from a math perspective, you have two 12 VDC 100 amp batteries. That's 1200 watts per battery, putting them in series to get 24 volts will provide 2400 watts which is less than half the rated output of your inverter. So it won't power that large of an inverter "at capacity" for any length of time...

Then, given the "intrinsic losses" in an inverter that size (compared to the potential use availability) you'll lose around 5% of your 2400 watts just in the operational energy needed on an inverter that large.

Yes, it'll work, but not without some significant "energy losses from the components"....

Also, remember that with your AC/DC refrigerator, if it's on AUTO, as soon as you power up the inverter, the refrigerator will switch to AC mode and start "burning through your battery power" unless you turn it to GAS mode as well as switch the CON circuit breaker to off.....

I'd suggest some more "thinking it through" both in which inverter to use as well as what else is going to run when the converter breaker is turned off and 120 VAC is applied to the trailer power center circuit breakers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 09:42 AM   #8
chrisphussle

Right, yes. I agree. i hadn't yet done enough research to know that the converter had it's own dedicated breaker. That certainly makes it more simple. Thanks. This is why I was looking for an electrical wiring diagram. Any idea where I can find one?
2017 Ford F-250
Nevada
Old 02-12-2023, 09:49 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisphussle View Post
Right, yes. I agree. i hadn't yet done enough research to know that the converter had it's own dedicated breaker. That certainly makes it more simple. Thanks. This is why I was looking for an electrical wiring diagram. Any idea where I can find one?
If you do find one its worth more than anyone can afford. Trust me I have working on RV's for over a decade and it seems like its trial by meter for most stuff. About the ONLY manufacturer that will disclose anything is Newmar and Jayco.

Old 02-12-2023, 05:54 PM   #10
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisphussle View Post
It's 30A. I've been thinking about this this morning and drawing it out. I think I may throw the two 100Ah 12V batteries I have up in the front under the bed along with the inverter. I'm thinking I can intercept the selected 120V circuits coming out of the panel with some illuminated toggle switches. Then I can turn the breakers off and turn the switches on from the inverter so that the panel doesn't back feed to energize the panel buss that which in turn would engage the converter/trickle charger. Thinking this is the simplest way to do it with the equipment I have.

I'll also throw a 12V and 24V solar charger controller in and one each small 12V and 24V portable solar panel. We don't use a lot of power when boondocking. Between using the Keurig a few times in the morning, the microwave sometimes, and charging our devices, I think it'll be sufficient enough to keep everything charged.
A 12 volt solar panel will not produce enough voltage to charge your batteries. A 24 volt panel will barely achieve the 14 volts needed and only for a couple hours on a sunny day. Look for a panel producing 37 volts or higher. The solar controller will regulate the panel’s down to a proper charge for your battery.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 06:09 PM   #11
NH_Bulldog

Did you say that you were going to move the batteries and install them inside under the bed?????
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 06:12 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Did you say that you were going to move the batteries and install them inside under the bed?????
LiPo4 are sealed, and I’ve seen them underneath beds in fivers. Would I do it? Don’t think so.

Old 02-12-2023, 06:38 PM   #13
NH_Bulldog

I didn’t see anywhere that he said they were LiPo batteries and since there are a number of non LiPo 100ah batteries, I thought it worth mentioning.

Either way, installing any battery inside a living space, especially under a bed is a (really) bad idea. Being in the fire service as a firefighter and fire investigator, I have seen a LiPo cordless drill battery fail with explosive results and burn a house to the ground. Sleeping on a battery, any battery is an accident waiting to happen.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 06:38 PM   #14
Wyldfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you do find one its worth more than anyone can afford. Trust me I have working on RV's for over a decade and it seems like its trial by meter for most stuff. About the ONLY manufacturer that will disclose anything is Newmar and Jayco.
And Outdoors RV
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:24 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Just thinking about the OP's first couple of posts in this thread, he's considering installing a 5000 watt inverter (41 amps output) in his trailer. I believe it's a 30 amp system, so all of the "power panel distribution wiring" (except the actual shore power cord) is either 12 ga or 14 ga ROMEX. Neither of those is rated to handle the inverter's 40 amp output.

Wiring that large of an inverter into a 30 amp trailer AC distribution system using the existing ROMEX wiring is going to create some potential overloaded wiring in the walls of that trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 03:18 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I didn’t see anywhere that he said they were LiPo batteries and since there are a number of non LiPo 100ah batteries, I thought it worth mentioning.

Either way, installing any battery inside a living space, especially under a bed is a (really) bad idea. Being in the fire service as a firefighter and fire investigator, I have seen a LiPo cordless drill battery fail with explosive results and burn a house to the ground. Sleeping on a battery, any battery is an accident waiting to happen.
That’s why I said I wouldn’t do it. I’ve seen 3 trailers so far with liPo batteries under the bed. Pleasureway puts them under the bed ( back seat) in their RVs.

I don’t know what type of battery OP is talking about, lead acid would be a definite NO!

Old 02-13-2023, 09:46 AM   #17
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just thinking about the OP's first couple of posts in this thread, he's considering installing a 5000 watt inverter (41 amps output) in his trailer. I believe it's a 30 amp system, so all of the "power panel distribution wiring" (except the actual shore power cord) is either 12 ga or 14 ga ROMEX. Neither of those is rated to handle the inverter's 40 amp output.

Wiring that large of an inverter into a 30 amp trailer AC distribution system using the existing ROMEX wiring is going to create some potential overloaded wiring in the walls of that trailer.

I've been quiet on this point since I know some inverters can be configured to limit the output. Although I have plans on changing my install to protect my 14ga wiring from a potential 20A output, I limit to really 10-12A as I know I will only use <4 most of the time and occasionally exceed with the coffee maker.

For the OP these last two posts should all make sense...

Is the sole reason for the 5000W inverter since you have one laying around? As for the most part the largest discussed in this forum - 1500->2000W.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:24 AM   #18
chrisphussle

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
A 12 volt solar panel will not produce enough voltage to charge your batteries. A 24 volt panel will barely achieve the 14 volts needed and only for a couple hours on a sunny day. Look for a panel producing 37 volts or higher. The solar controller will regulate the panel’s down to a proper charge for your battery.
Thanks for the message. To clarify, it's a 2500W 24V DC to 120V AC inverter. I was mistaken because I hadn't seen it in a while. Agree with you if we were using a lot of power. For what we use when we go camping, I think one 30W 24V panel will keep us topped off. I figure we may only use 80-100Wh per day.
2017 Ford F-250
Nevada
Old 03-15-2023, 04:25 AM   #19
chrisphussle

Quote:
No, didn't move anything, just added.
2017 Ford F-250
Nevada
Old 03-15-2023, 04:28 AM   #20
chrisphussle

Quote:

Thanks for your message. I hear you loud and clear and agree it's not an ideal location to place batteries. Using the batteries below.

https://www.power-sonic.com/product/ps-121000/
2017 Ford F-250
Nevada

Tags
keystone, mod, springdale, wiring, wiring diagram