Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2022, 04:57 AM   #1
JBM3M

Thinking on new tow vehicle

Well nothing serious wrong with our 2000 F350, but it does have little this and thats that need fixed and it has none of the electronic goodies we now rely on.

BUT it is a 7.3L diesel with manual, altitude package, tow package etc. Tows our 5th just fine.

So what would be a good choice in today's world? No offroad towing is planned.

The worst part is I would probably have to pay someone to put in a new hitch. Getting too old to do it myself.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:17 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

While " nothing seriously wrong" isn’t very definitive with a 22 or 23 year old truck my first concern would be rust underneath, especially brake lines and frame. Then the condition of the springs, steering components and all the suspension bushings and even the condition of the body and bed mounts. It all effects the rigidity of the truck and how it handles. If you have a competent shop that deals regularly with trucks used for towing and have them put it on a lift the list of "recommended service" and repairs would be lengthy.

As for a truck recommendation, I dunno, you may as well ask folks what's a recommendation for beer. I think very few objects evoke brand loyalty ( or inspire tall tales) more than trucks. From my experience, whatever truck a truck owner bought is "the best truck on the road". It's just human nature. IMHO a truck from the big 3 are pretty much a wash these days. You may like the seats better in one, the "do dads" in another. My advice? Go out and start looking and test driving them. It's more challenging these days but the last thing I'd ever do is order a truck based on " some guys on a website said it's the best". JMHO, YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:21 AM   #3
JBM3M

Actually just went thru it all, nothing serious wrong, mostly electronic stuff as I had that windshield leak and was unaware of it and a bunch of stuff got damaged. That is problem with vehicle that sits a lot. Only 108K on it.

2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
Old 04-03-2022, 05:30 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

As far as what truck, Marshall is right. I like Rams because little things that I prefer. My son loves GM. I used to love Fords. Others love what they love for who knows what kinds of reasons. Bottom line is that all of the big 3 now make very capable HD trucks with not a lot of difference between them - except those little things that make each of us prefer one over another.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:38 AM   #5
JBM3M

;Ya I know it is a can of worms to ask this, hoping folks tell me why they like what they have. Again I am very hesitant to move to something else, I get offers to sell all the time and the truck is beat to heck and looks well worn.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:05 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
;Ya I know it is a can of worms to ask this, hoping folks tell me why they like what they have. Again I am very hesitant to move to something else, I get offers to sell all the time and the truck is beat to heck and looks well worn.

In that case...and I hope everyone can stick to what it is they like about their truck vs bashing others;

I've owned all 3 but granted not the latest models of anything but the Ram. I've driven them all though. I like the suspension and the feel of the steering although I only drive 4x4s. I also like their bucket seats (truck) which is new, I used to HATE their seating (back in the 90s). I like their UConnect but the Ford Sync3 was pretty good as well (last I owned it was 2018). I do not know what GM has as the last GM vehicle was 2010. This truck has the 12" dash screen. Initially I hated it as it just has too much stuff on/in it. Then, after eye surgery on both eyes I've come to appreciate it as I can muddle through the larger icons to figure out what I'm doing vs trying to find some kind of reading goggles every time I want to adjust something. There are several other reasons but these come to mind right off. Hopefully others can share their thoughts and some of them may touch on what is important to you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:00 AM   #7
pawpaw

Back in the last century a neighbor bought a 1999 F350 4x2 crew cab dually. Since the 7.3 diesel may run forever he still has it and uses it daily. Body is still in good shape but he did replace the interior a few years ago. Think he has close to 300K on the clock but not sure. When I went looking a few years ago I looked at all the dually diesels that the dealers actually had on their lots back in 2017. After driving all 3 I found the Ford drove the best but the Chevy and Ram drove pretty good too. The '17 Ford new body design looked the best and the 6.7 Powerstroke with 4.10 gearing was a towing monster. Rode very smooth and with a 48 gallon fuel tank I'd go easily over 500 miles before looking for fuel. Go to any campground around Louisiana you'll see a lot of the big 3 diesel pickups but I'd say Ford has the slight edge. The 6.7 Powerstroke seems to be a very dependable engine and keeping up with the DEF fluid was no problem. Our 41' 5th wheel was destroyed during Hurricane Ida and I ended up selling the truck for what I paid for it 4-1/2 yrs prior. Now I wish I would have kept it!! Good luck with your decision and good luck finding one to at least test drive.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:22 AM   #8
wrvond

I've got a '17 F350 dually that has been a pretty good truck. I really like the aluminum body for it's anti rust properties. The interior is also pretty comfortable and it's got plenty of power to tow whatever you want. The absolute worst thing about it is the wheels. Ford put cheap aluminum wheels on the front and outside rears with metal valve stems that created an electrolytic corrosion problem resulting in tires that don't hold air. They (Ford) has steadfastly refused to address or even acknowledge the problem and for that reason I will not recommend this model. I recently towed my 5er with a 2021 F450 with 10 speed transmission for six hours and can say it's a very nice truck indeed. Owners report "tracking" issues with the commercial tires but I didn't experience anything untoward.

Edit: I just remembered another sore point with my Ford - it's got two alternators and two batteries, yet when I turn the truck off all the power outlets inside go dead. Apparently Ford engineers don't think we as consumers are smart enough to manage our power resources.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:35 AM   #9
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I've got a '17 F350 dually that has been a pretty good truck. I really like the aluminum body for it's anti rust properties. The interior is also pretty comfortable and it's got plenty of power to tow whatever you want. The absolute worst thing about it is the wheels. Ford put cheap aluminum wheels on the front and outside rears with metal valve stems that created an electrolytic corrosion problem resulting in tires that don't hold air. They (Ford) has steadfastly refused to address or even acknowledge the problem and for that reason I will not recommend this model. I recently towed my 5er with a 2021 F450 with 10 speed transmission for six hours and can say it's a very nice truck indeed. Owners report "tracking" issues with the commercial tires but I didn't experience anything untoward.

Edit: I just remembered another sore point with my Ford - it's got two alternators and two batteries, yet when I turn the truck off all the power outlets inside go dead. Apparently Ford engineers don't think we as consumers are smart enough to manage our power resources.
Using a dually to pull that camper! We just bought the same model Cougar and pulled it home with my '21 Expedition. Wish I would have kept my F350 DRW if I would have known the wife wanted another camper. Contractor offered me what I paid for the dually 4-1/2 yrs prior and jumped on it too quick. Used the dually daily out here in the country so never really had a parking issue. Pulled a 41' Solitude that grossed out a close to 17k pounds with the dually and with the 4.10 gearing it pulled it easily.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:37 AM   #10
Hblick48

I just went through the process. Tow Vehicle was 2005 F250 XLT 6.0. Within the last 3 years the transmission was rebuilt and engine was bulletproofed. Biggest problem is that I exceeded cargo capacity by close to 1,000 pounds, but it pulled great. Runs great but I wanted a newer vehicle that had more luxury, proper carrying capacity, and most importantly a better ride and quiet.

I found a 2019 Ram 3500 Bighorn 4x4 and 2017 F350 Lariet 4x2 (never go off road) that seemed to meet my needs at CarMax. Both rode great, had the proper carrying capacity. Turning radius on Ram was 3 foot better than the Ford.

Ford already had bed rails and Ram had puck system but no overload springs. Then I noticed that F350 had Firestone airbags and Air Lift Wireless One pump installed (dealer didn't even know they were there). Has the F350 checked out by the Powerstroke Master Mechanic (who bulletproofed my F250). No issues. Since the F350 had more "goodies" and was immediately ready to tow, I purchased it yesterday.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:41 AM   #11
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Using a dually to pull that camper! We just bought the same model Cougar and pulled it home with my '21 Expedition. Wish I would have kept my F350 DRW if I would have known the wife wanted another camper. Contractor offered me what I paid for the dually 4-1/2 yrs prior and jumped on it too quick. Used the dually daily out here in the country so never really had a parking issue. Pulled a 41' Solitude that grossed out a close to 17k pounds with the dually and with the 4.10 gearing it pulled it easily.
I believe you are pulling a 25RDS aren't you? That's a travel trailer vs. the 24RDS fifth wheel.
Still, the 24RDS is hardly dually territory, but I used to transport RV's with my truck that I bought new in 2017. I've got about 300,000 miles on it at this point and am happy to pull my little 29 foot long fiver with it.
You should have seen the look I got pulling my wife's 17 foot long Summerland Mini travel trailer!

Old 04-03-2022, 07:43 AM   #12
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I just went through the process. Tow Vehicle was 2005 F250 XLT 6.0. Within the last 3 years the transmission was rebuilt and engine was bulletproofed. Biggest problem is that I exceeded cargo capacity by close to 1,000 pounds, but it pulled great. Runs great but I wanted a newer vehicle that had more luxury, proper carrying capacity, and most importantly a better ride and quiet.

I found a 2019 Ram 3500 Bighorn 4x4 and 2017 F350 Lariet 4x2 (never go off road) that seemed to meet my needs at CarMax. Both rode great, had the proper carrying capacity. Turning radius on Ram was 3 foot better than the Ford.

Ford already had bed rails and Ram had puck system but no overload springs. Then I noticed that F350 had Firestone airbags and Air Lift Wireless One pump installed (dealer didn't even know they were there). Has the F350 checked out by the Powerstroke Master Mechanic (who bulletproofed my F250). No issues. Since the F350 had more "goodies" and was immediately ready to tow, I purchased it yesterday.
Congrats on the F350. Did you get the regular or long bed with the 48 gallon tank.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:48 AM   #13
Badbart56

Our family tends to hold onto my vehicles for a good while. Many we have kept for ten years or longer. Still got the 98 C2500 6.5 TD on the farm. My brother still has a 99 Dodge 3500 dually 5.9 TD and a 95 K1500 6.5 TD. I only sold my 97 F350 7.3 because a guy that worked for me wanted it enough to give me what I asked and I wasn't driving it much anymore. And it gets hard to find parts once you get to ten years old or more. Not engine parts but things like interior parts are often only available at the junk yard.

But upgrading to a newer truck especially the diesels (like my 6.7 Powerstroke) will vastly improve your towing capabilities. EVERTHING about them is improved, more horsepower, more torque and MUCH better transmissions. Just test driving one doesn't show you a lot but when you hook up to a load, especially a load like my Fusion (18,000 lbs.) then you realize what these trucks are all about and you'll get this stupid smile on your face!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:51 AM   #14
wrvond

Quote:
Well nothing serious wrong with our 2000 F350, but it does have little this and thats that need fixed and it has none of the electronic goodies we now rely on.

BUT it is a 7.3L diesel with manual, altitude package, tow package etc. Tows our 5th just fine.

So what would be a good choice in today's world? No offroad towing is planned.

The worst part is I would probably have to pay someone to put in a new hitch. Getting too old to do it myself.
Just watched a YouTube video of the 2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs - wow! that's a really nice camper!

Old 04-03-2022, 07:53 AM   #15
JBM3M

Ya the F350 has a crappy turn radius

Old 04-03-2022, 07:53 AM   #16
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I believe you are pulling a 25RDS aren't you? That's a travel trailer vs. the 24RDS fifth wheel.
Still, the 24RDS is hardly dually territory, but I used to transport RV's with my truck that I bought new in 2017. I've got about 300,000 miles on it at this point and am happy to pull my little 29 foot long fiver with it.
You should have seen the look I got pulling my wife's 17 foot long Summerland Mini travel trailer!
You're right..must of had a senior moment!! I was very surprised how easily the Expedition handled the camper. A little heavy on the hitch but son in law re-adjusted the Equalizer hitch and I added air to the BFG all terrains and it made a big difference. Have a payload of 1769 lbs and the camper is probably in the 7500 lb range with the two propane tanks..battery and the 2nd AC unit. Just wife and I and will be packing light. Very impressed with the camper so far except for the Trailer King tires. Ordering some Goodyear Endurance tires tomorrow. Local trips mostly with the price of fuel so I only need to pull in the 60-62 mph range. Hope you're liking the 5th wheel so far.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:57 AM   #17
JBM3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
And it gets hard to find parts once you get to ten years old or more. Not engine parts but things like interior parts are often only available at the junk yard.

But upgrading to a newer truck especially the diesels (like my 6.7 Powerstroke) will vastly improve your towing capabilities. EVERTHING about them is improved, more horsepower, more torque and MUCH better transmissions. Just test driving one doesn't show you a lot but when you hook up to a load, especially a load like my Fusion (18,000 lbs.) then you realize what these trucks are all about and you'll get this stupid smile on your face!

Yes already experiencing inability to get parts or difficulty and that is part of the reason for considering moving on. I buy my vehicles new and drive them until they are dead, typically 20 years or more.
Also the transmission has been repaired once and I am feeling it is going to need another 6th gear. Had a clutch blow up too, long enough ago that I have concerns now about that.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:58 AM   #18
pawpaw

Quote:
Ya the F350 has a crappy turn radius
Yeah..I think the USS Nimitz can make a sharper turn!!!
Old 04-03-2022, 08:00 AM   #19
JBM3M

lol but yes

Old 04-03-2022, 09:02 AM   #20
rhagfo

Well here is my two cents!
Driven all three brand recently not all “new” , but new enough.
Still like the Ram, the GM is nice also.
If thinking about a bigger 5er get another diesel, but for your current weight gas will do. That said if you a diesel the “I don’t even know it’s back there” would apply
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle