Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2018, 03:50 AM   #1
tlr6334

Trailer King shredded

Add me to the list of unsatified trailer king tire customers. 3 years 1 month old, had a tire shred just after getting off I20 in NM. Check them for air pressure every trip, feel tires and hubs for heat every stop. 8 ply replaced them with 10 ply Carlise tires, thankful didn't have to change tire on interstate. Yes drivers side tire. Again flats happen but tire dealer in Bisbee, Az pointed out 2 more tires were ready to fail.
tlr6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:56 AM   #2
Tinner12002

Its good you got 3 yrs out of them...glad you didn't have damage to your RV as a result of the blowout!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:57 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Hope your event didn’t course any damage. I have the Carlise tires on our trailer and have been very satisfied with the performance.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:19 AM   #4
XTeacher

We have the same brand of tires and plan on changing them soon on our 2017 Bullet 248rks to Carlisle HDs. I don't want to take any chances. It's a shame that such shoddy tires are standard on our campers.
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:35 AM   #5
tlr6334

Had new tires balanced something the folks at Keystone saw no need to do. Had very minor rv damage. I happened to check rear view mirrors and saw rubber sliding on road. Lucky I was.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
notanlines

Same sentiments as the other posters. There are worse places to be broken down than Bisbee, Arizona. It is a very fun town to visit and the entire town other than the Copper Queen is dog friendly.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
ken56

Yep. Not surprised. I replaced my OEM Trailer Kings after 3k miles. Returning home from Myrtle Beach area and stopped for fuel and noticed one tire had bulges in it. Took it easy the rest of the way home and replaced them with the Goodyear Endurance. Noticeable difference in stability.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #8
ftrupe

My Trailer King tires are being replaced Thursday with Carlisle. Three years with the Trailer King, low miles, and they look great. But, after reading all the stories on this forum, I'm not taking any chances.
ftrupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #9
tbonediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Same sentiments as the other posters. There are worse places to be broken down than Bisbee, Arizona. It is a very fun town to visit and the entire town other than the Copper Queen is dog friendly.
Had same issue with my 2015 Keystone Premier. Shredded a tire in Moab, Utah. Had to ditch the camper in the desert and drive to town to get a new one....couldn't get lugs off. Need to upgrade all those TK tires after 3 years....< 15K miles. Yuk.
tbonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Neighbor just got back from a across the state camp trip with his TT. I told him 2 years ago his tires were on borrowed time. Now about 10 ten years old. I think they were "Kings or Trail America both from China. He said the forward axle tire, drivers side blew out, The rubber hit the rear tire and tore off the rubber valve stem. Another reason for metal stems, I bet the stem split from the overload. Trailer damage is fender cover gone, refer vent gone, electric connection gone. He is the 3rd guy I know I warned of outdated trailer tires that blew out.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

"ya buy them books, send them to school..."
Old 06-29-2018, 08:27 AM   #12
Badbart56

My Fuzion had GY Marathons when I bought it last year. I went about 350 miles with them and parked it in the yard. About two weeks later I'm doing something outside and, BAM! I thought it was a gunshot! I caught some "mist" out of the corner of my eye, coming from under the RV. Now, you have to understand, I'm a retired cop so that's the way I think.....after further inspection, the tread on the trailer tire had separated and blew out. The tires were only 5 years old. When I replaced them the guy at the tire store showed me where another one was separating! I went from 10 ply trailer tires to 14 ply Super Cargo truck tires. We'll see how they hold up.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #13
UsTwo

I just switched out to the Goodyear endurance form the trailer kings I had on my Cougar..I can really tell the difference on how it pulls and rides on the Goodyears..I got lucky, I had trailer kings on for 4 yrs. but we only go out 3 to 4 hours away..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:24 PM   #14
ADQ K9

Quoted just over $700 for a set of Goodyear Endurance for mine(ST225/75-15). I get that things are a little more expensive up here,but still wondering if that is a good price. Just 1300 miles on my stock TK tires still look good.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:21 AM   #15
JimQ

I just had the China bombs removed yesterday and went with the Good Year Endurance tires. Went up from load range C to D. I couldn't wait any longer after reading all the horror stories. Safety is a priority as well as towing with confidence . I'm glad I did it!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:08 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
Quoted just over $700 for a set of Goodyear Endurance for mine(ST225/75-15). I get that things are a little more expensive up here,but still wondering if that is a good price. Just 1300 miles on my stock TK tires still look good.
It's age not mileage that dictates the tire replacement. Years ago I had a trailer with the China bombs and barely tapped a curb. The sidewall blew out like it had a hand grenade inside. Looking through the sidewall I could see blistering inside, no hint of an issue outside. So replaced all 4 !with Goodyears. Well, that's when Goodyear switch operations to China. Two years later and maybe 800 miles I bought a new trailer. Sold the old trailer to my Godson and told him whatever it took to pass inspection I would take care of. I was confident that my meticulous maintenance and perfect tires would pose no problems. Upon inspection two of the tires had blisters in the sidewall facing the frame so 4 new tires later he was on his way. On my current trailer, purchased new, I conducted a preemptive strike and replaced the Trailer Kings at 3 1/2 years with Carlisle. When the TK's were removed they had blisters on the interior sidewalls. No exterior indication of a problem whatsoever. I was lucky again but never again will I own another China bomb. Do your due diligence, research it and do not trust the exterior visual condition. Those tires are like a cancer that eats it's victim from the inside. I know this is a lengthy post but just can't stress my experiences enough and for the life of me can't understand those that think the China bombs are just fine. It's like being a 3 pack a day smoker saying it doesn't affect them. I'll step down from my soapbox now and return to normal programming.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:36 AM   #17
Badbart56

The China/USA tire argument is pretty much a moot point these days. Not much to select from when it comes to ST rated, or even LT for that matter. I can't find much good to say about any ST tires as they are all marginal in quality. The Super Cargo tires I mentioned above are a commercial truck radial tire with a load rating of 4080 lbs. They are rated for sustained 70 mph speeds and it's a heavy tire, weighing about 75 lbs each. It is made in China but it's a true heavy duty truck tire. So even though my Toy Hauler has a GVW of 16500 the tires under it are capable of handling 24,480 lbs. and they cost less than ST's too.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #18
tlr6334

One thing about trailer tires. Highway miles are in a straight line. Parking an RV [pull through excluded] puts a great amount of stress on the tires sidewalls, not to mention hubs and axles. St tires are made for this issue.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #19
Ken / Claudia

Badbart56, I learned the hard way and in boat school about ST tires.

Mileage has no bearing on their life span unless you full time pull the trailer. Most RVs they age/rott out. Depends on your trailer weight/tire care if they last 3 or 5 years. After that your all on borrowed time before they blow. Even the spare mounted on the bumper.
With ever tire you get, I would keep them at max psi always, get full metal valve stems and buy a TPMS. Check your weights at a scale if not done yet. Make damn sure the tires are made to carry the weight. If 1 tire blows, replace the others on that side, the other will go next due to gross overload. Very common in my highway patrol days, A stopped RV with a blow tire, the guy says yeah the other went a while back, the tread was still in good shape.
Check out CW the Man posts on tires, he has posted a lot of tire data over the years on here.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #20
CWtheMan

So far in this thread there has been no mention of trailer/axle weights.

No mention of tire history while not in use.

No mention of the installed tires maximum load capacity compared to the certified GAWRs.

When you require your tires to carry nearly 100% of their maximum load capacity, at or near their speed restriction, they degrade rapidly. That degrading has always been represented by the ST tire builders as a life expectancy limiter. Most all will not recommend RV trailer tires for more than 3-5 years of service before recommending replacement. The tire’s exterior, including tread wear, may never give any clues to the internal damage they have sustained, until they start into some form of tread separation.

Various RV organizations and NHTSA have compiled results of RV trailer tire studies that all should find and read. You’ll be surprised how many trailers have at least one tire overloaded, all the time.

When a tire on a trailer suffers a catastrophic failure while underway, the likelihood of the tire beside it being damage is very high. At the very minimum it should go to the spare tire position and inspected for internal damage before put back into full service. The same holds true for the remaining tire on a single axle trailer.

Do you use your trailer for storage of extras while out of service? That action may severely overload your tires. Overloading at any speed including zero is damaging and cumulative.

If you have never checked, you may be really surprised when you switch from one China brand to another, to find they were made at the same plant. Only the plant code molded into the tire sidewall knows.

When using replacements with a higher load capacity fixes your tire failure problem, does it fix your overloaded problem? Only some accurate scales will know if your trailer is overloaded, or not. Read chapter #4 in the attached file. It will explain, step by step, how to get the weights for your whole rig, the towed vehicle, the tow vehicle, each axle’s load, each tire’s load etc..

Don’t let the file name stop you. Chapter four is all about RV tires, any size and design.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...TruckTires.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote