Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #1
roadglide

How I use my exhaust brake

I use it in city driving and keep plenty of distance. this is how it works tap the brake and let the engine do the work. I,m wondering if that is a good idea but it works excellent for slowing the rig down better then using the brakes. the mountain in Oregon using the exhaust will slow the rig down where I need to accelerate , using it is more stable and consistence stopping power.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Re: How I use my exhaust brake

If it works for you, then keep on!! I don't have one, and can't put an aftermarket one on since I have hydraulic lifters. Your not causing any harm to the engine that I'm aware of.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
bsmith0404

It doesn't hurt anything to use your exhaust brake around town. The one advantage of using it is that it exercises the variable turbo vanes.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
it is that it exercises the variable turbo vanes.
When did the Duramax start using variable vane turbos?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #5
xcntrk

I absolutely love my exhaust brake. I turn it on whenever I hook up along with the tow-haul button. Turn it on and leave it on, city and highway. You hit a down-grade on the highway, even with cruise on, and it just works wonders rev'ing up the turbo to provide the exhaust back pressure. Works great in combination with the Tow/Haul to drop the transmission down a gear or two, which revs up the RPM's giving enough "breath" to the turbo to work. It's interesting to watch the boost gauge ramp up as the exhaust brake kicks in.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
I absolutely love my exhaust brake. I turn it on whenever I hook up along with the tow-haul button. Turn it on and leave it on, city and highway. You hit a down-grade on the highway, even with cruise on, and it just works wonders rev'ing up the turbo to provide the exhaust back pressure. Works great in combination with the Tow/Haul to drop the transmission down a gear or two, which revs up the RPM's giving enough "breath" to the turbo to work. It's interesting to watch the boost gauge ramp up as the exhaust brake kicks in.
There was a discussion awhile back on a thread about not using the exhaust brake under slippery road conditions. What you describe makes sense considering what was said that exhaust brakes shouldn't be used during those conditions.

I have a PacBrake and a stick, so the use of the brake is perhaps not as aggressive as what you describe, and why I disagreed with what was said. Given what you said, I might have to agree with the cautions described in that previous thread. I also am glad for the combination I have.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #7
gearhead

I turn mine on just to hear it.
If I can remember, I'll turn it on at start-up in mornings to help warm the engine. These Houston area fall temps can get brutal. I had to put on long pants to go fishing this morning.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
roadglide

I agree about the aggressive engine braking and transmission down shifting with poor road condition. I turn the traction control and stabilizer on when towing has to help . I suppose with the stabilizer and traction control it will shift out of the aggressive stopping situation if it gos to pushing the TV.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #9
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
When did the Duramax start using variable vane turbos?
They initially started with variable vanes on the LLY in 2004. Every now and then I'll put the vane position gauge up on my Edge CTS and watch how much they change and the associated boost that correlates with the different positions. It's pretty interesting to watch.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-29-2016, 04:47 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Thanks for the info. I knew the 6.0 in Fords had it.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:34 AM   #11
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
There was a discussion awhile back on a thread about not using the exhaust brake under slippery road conditions. What you describe makes sense considering what was said that exhaust brakes shouldn't be used during those conditions.
Makes total sense. Same caution with riding the brakes on a grade in poor traction conditions. Only with the brake you can let off, with the exhaust/engine brake it's not so easy to get turned off and come down off the pressure at a rapid pace should things get squirrely..

Old 10-29-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
bartbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
Makes total sense. Same caution with riding the brakes on a grade in poor traction conditions. Only with the brake you can let off, with the exhaust/engine brake it's not so easy to get turned off and come down off the pressure at a rapid pace should things get squirrely..
Slightly different; but related question. Got a 2015 Ram 2500 Diesel. Going down a pass (say Monarch Pass in Colorado) with the engine brake on. Sometimes I want to get out of the engine brake but it seems the only to do this is to rapidly increase the rpms - by a lot - then kick it out of tow/haul. Aside from the obvious question of "why would you want to do that", is there another way to do it?
bartbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #13
Desert185

My exhaust brake is a butterfly on the aft side of the turbo. Just hit the switch to off...nothing else required, and I have a stick, so I'm my own tow/haul mode. Its pretty gentle when it kicks in, yet effective when its actuated. No fear of losing control on slick surfaces. Perhaps, progress can at times be regressive...or maybe I'm just getting old.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #14
CaptnJohn

Hit the button today ~~ not pulling the 5er but running the back roads of the TN mountains. Twists & turns / up & down.... made the drive more pleasurable.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:52 AM   #15
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbill View Post
Slightly different; but related question. Got a 2015 Ram 2500 Diesel. Going down a pass (say Monarch Pass in Colorado) with the engine brake on. Sometimes I want to get out of the engine brake but it seems the only to do this is to rapidly increase the rpms - by a lot - then kick it out of tow/haul. Aside from the obvious question of "why would you want to do that", is there another way to do it?
Keep in mind Tow/Haul and the Exhaust Brake are 2 different systems. If you turn-off the Exhaust Brake, the transmission is going to drop a gear every time you're on a downgrade regardless - when Tow/Haul is enabled.

But that said, I have experienced what you're describing. I turn my exhaust brake on and leave it on. If you're cruising along on a downgrade and don't want the exhaust brake to kick-on, say for run-up to an incline, I'll simply gently roll into the throttle. I'm not versed on how all the turbo vein stuff works, but have observed when you apply throttle this seems to reverse the engine brake function. Easy way to keep it from engaging when not wanted - short of turning the system off.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #16
roadglide

It must be the Allison transmission and duramax, going down steep winding roads I ease into acceleration the transmission shifts up. I use traction control and stabilizer wile towing. The question is wile using the traction and stabilizer will that soften the engine exhaust brake in poor road conditions ?
Old 10-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #17
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
It must be the Allison transmission and duramax, going down steep winding roads I ease into acceleration the transmission shifts up. I use traction control and stabilizer wile towing. The question is wile using the traction and stabilizer will that soften the engine exhaust brake in poor road conditions ?
I doubt it. Part of the effect with the exhaust brake is due to transmission downshift as well. For the exhaust brake to work properly it needs exhaust volume, in order to achieve the volume the transmission downshifts to create more RPMs. It's that combination of downshift and exhaust brake kicking in that creates the harder braking and adds concern in poor road conditions.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #18
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I doubt it. Part of the effect with the exhaust brake is due to transmission downshift as well. For the exhaust brake to work properly it needs exhaust volume, in order to achieve the volume the transmission downshifts to create more RPMs. It's that combination of downshift and exhaust brake kicking in that creates the harder braking and adds concern in poor road conditions.
Does this downshift only happen in tow/haul mode or will deselecting tow/haul prevent the downshift yet allow the exhaust brake to activate?
Old 10-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #19
roadglide

They computerized and work together . My friend has older dodge Cummings diesal he installed after market exhaust manual brake . The way I got he has to flip a switch nothing automatic . I understand with crus control on its challenging .
Old 10-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #20
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
They computerized and work together . My friend has older dodge Cummings diesal he installed after market exhaust manual brake . The way I got he has to flip a switch nothing automatic . I understand with crus control on its challenging .
Yep. Not automatic other than letting off on the right pedal or turning the cruise control off with the exhaust brake "armed/on". From the sounds of the newer systems, what you describe as "automatic" is something I wouldn't want, as my system seems like a better, driveable option, particularly when experiencing a slippery roadway. Automatic and computer controlled as you described it would be challenging.

I find it odd that a manufacturer would design a system that would induce a loss of control under certain circumstances. Perhaps another case of too much college and not enough high school? Automatic and computer controlled are not necessarily always the best option, it would seem.