Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2016, 06:13 AM   #1
Rdowns

Any F450 owners out there? in California??

Curious to get some input on the purchase of an F450.

1) Does it take a commercial loan, insurance, registration?? I keep hearing all kinds of stuff back and forth on the weight of the truck and such requires a "commercial" registration in California. The truck will ONLY be for personal use on my toy hauler - NOT for work. And if it is required has anyone found a way around it??

2) How does it really compare to other trucks on fuel... every ones complaint is that they get crappy mileage. But in reality compared to any other comparable sized truck.... is it really that bad?

3) Hows the ride? From the Ford duallys that I have been in before (years back) they all rode pretty stiff.

4) Any other options I should look for on the truck or things to be aware of? Is there certain items I should look for that are good upgrades?
Rdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
FlyingChief

I don't own one, but I did a lot of research and came very close to getting one prior to getting my 13 Ram 3500. I even had one picked out - a gently used model in O.C.

I don't know about you, but I'm already paying for commercial registration with the CA DMV. I believe all HD trucks are. We pay the normal plate fees + a weight fee. Just CA's way of making a few extra bucks. I did find that my insurance would take a significant leap going above the 350/3500 to a 450.

Gas mileage is more dependent on the engine and rear end gears. The F450 is no better or worse than the 350/3500.

ON the plus side, the F450 has a different front end than the 350 and has a significantly shorter turning radius.

Be VERY careful about the year and engine you're buying. Some Ford diesels have a better track record than others. Keep in mind that the powertrain warranty is 5 years/100k miles. I found a bunch of 10s and 11s coming on the market for a low cost, but that's because they are now out of warranty and if something breaks, it's on you. Also, most F450s have been used for commercial purposes and have been ridden hard. Make sure you get a good inspection if buying used.

At the end of the day, I didn't think I would get a big enough boost in weight and towing capacity to justify the extra expense, so I stayed with a 1-ton and ended up with a 13 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW (I had an F350 CC SRW LB before). That doesn't mean you'll come to the same conclusion, but that's where I ended up.

One other thing to consider in CA. If your trailer GVWR (weight sticker on the trailer) is greater than 15,000 or if the combined GVWR of trailer and truck are greater than 26,000, you need a non-commercial class A drivers license. I think your Fuzion may already put you in that category, but if not, a big bump in GVWR for your truck may push you over the edge. I got mine last fall. Not hard, but a pain in the butt to navigate the DMV. PM me if you need any more info.
FlyingChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
fredetteb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdowns View Post
Curious to get some input on the purchase of an F450.

1) Does it take a commercial loan, insurance, registration?? I keep hearing all kinds of stuff back and forth on the weight of the truck and such requires a "commercial" registration in California. The truck will ONLY be for personal use on my toy hauler - NOT for work. And if it is required has anyone found a way around it??

2) How does it really compare to other trucks on fuel... every ones complaint is that they get crappy mileage. But in reality compared to any other comparable sized truck.... is it really that bad?

3) Hows the ride? From the Ford duallys that I have been in before (years back) they all rode pretty stiff.

4) Any other options I should look for on the truck or things to be aware of? Is there certain items I should look for that are good upgrades?

First things first I live in Tennessee, not California so keep that in mind. I have a 2008 F450 that I purchased pre-owned in 2009. It was not my first choice for a tow vehicle, but as time has passed I couldn't be more pleased.

1) License and registration in TN was simple and straightforward. I did NOT have to get commercial tags or pay any extra fees. My insurance stayed about the same as my F350 that I was replacing. Getting a loan was the trickiest part. I was told by the dealer that many lenders would charge a higher rate because of the "commercial nature of the truck". I went through my credit union and was offered a standard financing with no problems.

2) My fuel mileage averages 9-9.5 mpg. I don't drive it alot day to day so most of the miles have been towing.

3) It rides like a truck It can be a little brutal just going to the store and back. I will say that it rides better the more weight it gets. The F450 is built for hauling and towing so the ride definitely gets better with the fiver hooked up. As another poster noted the turning radius is exceptional for a truck this size. Again it's made for towing, so the sharper 45* angle of steering helps with parking the camper right were you want it.

4) Upgrades and add-ons are like potato chips you can't have just one. Mine came with every option (leather satnav sunroof etc). The only real aftermarket upgrade I've added is a BullyDog GT. I use it more for EGT and diagnostics than for the power, but it does help some.

Good luck with you search.
Tonneau cover. BullyDog GT. High Idle Mod.
B&W Turnoverball™ with a Companion 5th Wheel Hitch.
2018 Keystone Montana High Country 381TH.
fredetteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:13 AM   #4
1jeep

I recently purchased a 2016 f350 dually, it has the high capacity tow package which gives it the same wide track front axle and 4:30 gearing as the f450. I have heard that they wont be offering this in the 2017 models, but it does make a huge difference in turning radius!

Im certain calf is similar to Ma, I had to get a commercial plate, commercial insurance and even had to open a commercial account for the toll pass(ez pass) insurance was a few hundred more. Vehicle loan was through my local credit union and the same rate as other vehicle.

I went from a 2011 f250 with 3:55 gears and the 6.7, empty I would get about 17mpg, this truck I get about 14.5mpg @ 70mph.

Ride is a little worse than my previous truck, but im getting used to it, loaded the ride is better!

Options, I bought the platinum it has every option and I love it!

I did look at buying a 450, but for me I just didtnt feel I needed it and honestly liked having regular 17" tires vs the 450's 19.5"...maybe someday I will regret that decision.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
1jeep

BTW in Ma the law states anything vehicle that has 5 tires or more must be registered as commercial, so for me it wouldn't have mattered.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeep View Post
BTW in Ma the law states anything vehicle that has 5 tires or more must be registered as commercial, so for me it wouldn't have mattered.
In Kalifornia, if you have a pickup (regardless of size), commercial plates are required if you want to carry even a bag of groceries.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #7
msubobcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
In Kalifornia, if you have a pickup (regardless of size), commercial plates are required if you want to carry even a bag of groceries.
Yep, so true... Pretty ridiculous.
8.1 / Allison / Long bed / Crew Cab
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOO MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BOBCATS
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:53 AM   #8
1jeep

what really got me peeved was that after registering the truck my insurance company came back and raised my rate because im towing a trailer. Im not certain what they thought I was going to do with a truck this size, so now it cost an extra $300 a year.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:58 PM   #9
Cyncwby

I ordered this 2016 F350 KR "Tow Boss", it has the wide track front axle with the 4.30 gears. I installed the 20" Eagle wheels and 34" 275-65-20 Michelin's which really helps bring the rpms down to a liveable ratio. It's actually the best of both worlds, has the great turning radius and looks of the F450 but not the harsh ride....it's stiff enough.

I was also looking at an F450 but my insurance company said it would have to be insured as a comm'l veh just because of the VIN number. Yes, the 2017 F350 will not be offered with the wide track front axle, don't know why but I'm sure glad I got this one.....love it. Also what Desert185 says.....ANY pickup, from an old Datsun to a new F450 and everything in between has to have comm'l plates, just the way it is. I only saw one truck without com. plates and he was stopped by CHP, had a bunch of stuff in his bed....major fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F-350 006.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	10616   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-350 008.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	10617  
Cyncwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #10
C130

I have a 2015 F450 but live in Texas. 9.0-9.5 towing around 70 mph. I drive it daily back and forth to work and get around 17 mpg average if I stay below 70. Anything above 70 and my mpg drops to 15-16 mpg. The only issue I had, which really wasn't an issue, was USAA had to override something for the F450 vs. an F350. Only took a couple of minutes but they did want to confirm I would not be using it for commercial purposes. I have two friends with them also and no one has had an issue but we are all in Texas.

As far as towing, it's incredible and does an outstanding job. I just towed my Momentum 385TH from the Houston area to Gatlinburg Tennessee for the second time. It handles the hills, both up and down, very well. I've got about 33000 on my F450 and had 74000 on my previous 2011 F250. No issues with either truck so far. I'd get the F450 again and as long as in towing a big 5th wheel I'll stick with the F450.