Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2023, 02:05 PM   #1
glendar10

Converter

Does anyone know what converter/charger is in a 2022 cougar 30rls? Looking to see if will work with lithium batteries or does it need to be changed out?
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:06 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendar10 View Post
Does anyone know what converter/charger is in a 2022 cougar 30rls? Looking to see if will work with lithium batteries or does it need to be changed out?
Is your camper 30A or 50A service? Seems to me most of the recent campers use WFCO converters but I am old and have a faulty memory. Somebody will come along to answer your question more definitively. 30A / 50A makes a difference. Your current converter will have the make/model on it btw.... welcome.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:22 PM   #3
glendar10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Is your camper 30A or 50A service? Seems to me most of the recent campers use WFCO converters but I am old and have a faulty memory. Somebody will come along to answer your question more definitively. 30A / 50A makes a difference. Your current converter will have the make/model on it btw.... welcome.
50 amp unit have 2 ac
Old 02-26-2023, 04:58 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

As a "general rule" the trailers that come with lithium batteries will have a "lithium ready converter" those that come with the SolarFlex 200 and 400i systems WITHOUT an OEM lithium battery will probably not have a "lithium ready converter"...

The way to know for sure is to look at your power center. If it is "lithium ready" it will have the LI/LA function switch located on the left hand side of the DC fuse panel. You can see the LI/LA switch in the first two panels and that it is missing in the third panel in the drawings below.

I have not seen any "auto detect WFCO converters installed in Keystone trailers, but I'd guess it's only a matter of time before the supply chain forces at least some trailers to be shipped with an "AD WFCO"

Your WFCO power center owners manual may give you some help in which model is installed in your trailer, but I've seen as many "owner packets" with an incorrect manual or two that are for components that aren't even installed in that trailer series. So, trust, but verify with your own eyes what each component actually is by model number or by feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO 9500LIS series power center diagram.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	43149   Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO LITHIUM COMPATABLE CONVERTER FUSE PANEL.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	43150   Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO STANDARD DC FUSE PANEL.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	43151  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:05 PM   #5
peanut

Quote:
All Cougars came standard with at least a 200w solar package.
That, and the fact that lithium's are an available factory upgrade, leads me to believe that all will have a charger that Keystone claims is lithium capable. Could be wrong.

When I went looking for my converter in my new 24RDS I finally found it tucked away - way, way back - under the stove. Getting to it will require removing the stove. It is a deck mount - NOT a main board assembly that is built into the lower section of the power center. That space on mine is empty.

Laying on my stomach, using a flashlight, and peeking thru the (empty) bottom of the power center housing, I could see (part of) the unit but could not read any label on it. But it LOOKS like this model:
https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/...harger-series/
If I am correct, it is an "auto-detect" model that is supposed to do just that - - detect what type of battery you have. Problem is that there are many reports on the net that it doesn't work. See this:
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/wf...-detect.45508/
also google the problem.

I have had problems with WFCO converters in the past. I decided to just bite the bullet and spent $190 on a converter made expressly for lithium's and recommended by Battleborn. It is sitting in the garage and will be installed just as soon as the cover comes off the trailer this spring.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:25 PM   #6
fjr vfr

If you can get the model number, you can contact WFCO service and they can tell you what you have. I found most are safe for lithium, they just charge at a slower rate and stop short of a full charge.
I have enough solar on my roof and just disconnected the battery charger. My DC is completely charged from the sun and independent from the ac side.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:12 AM   #7
glendar10

Thand for the information , I did find the model it wa vWF9800 and is solar. The cougar that is a 2022 did not have solar but has the Romax wire but no inverter for the solar,
Now I am thing about puttin it on just so I have some power when traveling. Not sure how much to put on yet but know I don’t want the ac as too many batteries needed I think. If I do put if on solar does that make all outlets solar or just the 3 that are tied to the Romeo.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:31 AM   #8
fjr vfr

I don't know how the newer trailers with a solar package are wired. Mine is an older trailer, 2011 and not pre-wired for solar. I installed an ATS, (automatic transfer switch) so ac outlets are on any time my inverter is or shore power connected.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 12:12 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

The solar is not designed to operate any 120V outlets, it charges the batteries. Then you’ll need to install an inverter to power the plugs when not on shore power.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 02:26 PM   #10
peanut

Quote:
If I do put if on solar does that make all outlets solar or just the 3 that are tied to the Romeo.
You do not need solar to have hot 120v duplex plugs. You need an inverter.

While plugged into any shore power, the duplex plugs are powered thru the breakers in the power center, just like your home/apartment. When plugged in, all of the duplex plugs are powered. At least I've never seen any that were not hot when plugged in.

When dry camping (boondocking), none of the duplex plugs will be hot unless you have an inverter. The duplex plugs are powered by the battery thru the inverter, which turns 12vdc into 110vac. IF you have an inverter, some of the duplex plugs may will be powered. Depends on how things are wired. Most likely only a few - perhaps 2 or 3 or 4 - will be hot and the rest will not work. IF you have an inverter, those plugs will work until the battery goes dead. IF you have an inverter, whichever plugs are wired to it will work whether you "put it on solar" or not.

How long they work depends on how large a battery bank you have before it becomes depleted and if you have a way to recharge it. No solar or generator to recharge the batteries - - you are in the dark. Solar and/or generator to recharge - - you keep glowing - - - thru the inverter.

Note that if you do not have an inverter pre-installed and are adding one, any wiring from it to the duplex plugs you want powered will probably need to be done by you. That is unless it states somewhere very clearly that the unit is pre-wired for an inverter. Probably a job best left to a professional unless you are very handy, have the proper tools, and a working knowledge of electricity and electrical circuits.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 02:59 PM   #11
WJQ

Why do you need a Lithium Ready Inverter for Lithium batteries? You don't. According to the factory rep for my battery, if you use a standard charger, it is set to shut off for a lead/acid battery.

That shutoff voltage is lower than for a lithium battery. So, you will not reach the full charge for the lithium battery but you won't ruin it.

Nevertheless, call your battery vendor and verify what I was told. Ultimately, a fully compatible lithium charger is best but not time critical.
Heber City, UTAH
Living the Dream at 6300 Feet!
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:10 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJQ View Post
Why do you need a Lithium Ready Inverter for Lithium batteries? You don't. According to the factory rep for my battery, if you use a standard charger, it is set to shut off for a lead/acid battery.

That shutoff voltage is lower than for a lithium battery. So, you will not reach the full charge for the lithium battery but you won't ruin it.

Nevertheless, call your battery vendor and verify what I was told. Ultimately, a fully compatible lithium charger is best but not time critical.
You mean CONverter for charging!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter