Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
Old Mustanger

Question Cleaning Exhaust Filter

I need to ask any other diesel owners how long the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message stays up upon each occurrence. Mine usually lasts only a couple of seconds before it goes off and I'm thinking it should stay on as long as the filter is being "cleaned". My truck is now in the shop to have a clogged particulate filter replaced (not cheap) and I'm concerned that I may have a PCM problem that caused it due to the cleaning operation not running long enough.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
Javi

Long enough for me to sometimes see it... maybe 30 seconds.. but if you watch the mileage indicator it is evident that it is cleaning...
Old 08-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
KSH

On my 2105 ecodiesel i never saw it. Had the 2018 2500 cummins for almost a year, still haven't seen it. I do a lot of highway driving though.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
ADQ K9

I get the message poping up at the most in opportune times like after a long trip and I am 5 miles from home. if I am not mistaken I think you can get your truck "reflashed" and have Manual Regeneration installed. My truck did not come with it as an option It is supposed to happen automaticaly on the higher end model Fords Lariat through Platinum. The manual option is beneficial if you do a lot of short trips and the truck does not warm up to the proper temperature to regen.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Mine shows (actually flashes) the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message for about 3 or 4 seconds at the beginning of the cycle. Then, nothing until the next cycle begins. As Javi said, the only "apparent indication" that the cleaning cycle is in progress is the instant fuel mileage indicator. Mine drops from 19-22 down to 11-12 during the cleaning cycle. It "seems to last" for about 10 minutes, but always seems to begin just as I turn the corner, less than a mile from home. Typically, in the winter, we drive to town, then back home and the truck just reaches operating temperature about the time we're "almost back home"...

I can't tell anyone how many times the truck "cleans the exhaust filter" because I have no idea when it's actually doing it and when the instant fuel mileage is "just low".... It would be great if there was an idiot light (seems there's one for everything else" that comes on when the cycle starts and stays on until it's finished. Of course, that would make sense, something that seems lacking with the "dumbing down of drivers"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
Javi

There are two warnings... Cleaning Exhaust Filter which is passive and another... DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER... which is not passive..
Old 08-20-2018, 03:00 PM   #7
Pull Toy

Exclamation

My 6.7 Ford flashes a 5 -second message, then goes to work, and KILLS fuel mileage, and raises all temp's!

The second hint / give away is the smell like "Burning Brakes" if you park before it's done. The total process takes about twenty minutes. Best advice I can give... keep driving! LOL !!!

As mentioned... $$$$ if dealer has to get involved!

p.s. Fuel is cheaper than dealer repairs, and you know you LUV to share views of your TV! GO FOR IT!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
travelin texans

My GMC gives no indication of when or how long, but I've noticed that it sounds like the fan clutch kicks in when it's in regen.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
Old Mustanger

Thanks for all of the replies! At least now I know it's not a PCM problem but maybe just not driving long enough when it does come on. Sure seems like there should be a better system...maybe getting rid of the filter and DEF system all together? (Yes I know it's not legal in most states, but my son did it on his Ram 1500 and got a pretty good increase in MPG.)
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 08-22-2018, 06:36 AM   #10
cynjon

My Ram (6.7l CTD) didn't let me know at all that it was going through a regen cycle, other than the fact that I could usually smell it. I added an Edge CTS2 monitor, which gives me visual notification that a regen cycle is in progress. I also love the ability to monitor EGTs at several points along the exhaust path. I often see temps in excess of 1000 degrees during a regen, and I make an extra effort to let it complete the regen cycle (to avoid getting the "do it now" message) and making sure it let it idle long enough to cool down afterwards.
cynjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #11
MattHelm21

I’ve used the Forscan app to enable the dashboard DPF% guage. This allows me to see when the filter is full as well as watch the percentage go down while driving during a regen. That in turn gives me an idea of how long it takes to clean after the “cleaning exhaust filter” message flashes. You can also enable a guage in the Forscan app itself to do the same. The length of time to clean varies depending on your driving speed and load but figure a minimum 15 to 20 minutes of driving at speeds above 45 MPH in order to completely return the percentage as close to 0 as possible. Mine never drops below 20 percent and the cycle turns off between 35 and 40 percent. I’ve found that after shutting off in regen, the cleaning cycle does not restart upon starting the engine but only after the percentage again reaches 100.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #12
Old Mustanger

I'm definitely going to find a means of knowing when it's completed the regen cycle. that new filter along with a tube to one of the turbos that blew off due to the increased pressure from the clog cost me $4500. If this truck wasn't already paid for I would have traded it in on the spot, or maybe gone across the highway to dark side (Chevy dealer).
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 08-22-2018, 08:42 PM   #13
scottz

Agreed with everything that has been said (about the Fords). It is a real pain. If you miss the message that flashes for a few seconds, you never know a regen is taking place. And even if you know one is taking place, continuing to drive is not always an option. Ford could have thought this through a little more.

I had a company truck (2015) that had some regen issues. They reflashed it with the "Operator Commanded Regen" (TSB-14-0171), but it never worked. It gave me an extra line on the display (This TSB is only for those trucks with standard level, two line display) that showed the status of my DPF, but the option to command a regen never appeared. At least I could see the status of the DPF.

I've been thinking about having them put it on my personal truck (2014).

TSB attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Operator Commanded Regen TSB 14-0171.pdf (403.6 KB, 158 views)
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

My understanding is most diesels use a rear cylinder for regen The injector is different in that cyl. Carbon builds up in the particulate filter and the computer opens that rear cyl injector and dumps a large volume of fuel so it burns in the particulate filter and incinerates the carbon. Thank the EPA for that. Diesels are built to be run on the highway and using them as a "go getter" or driving in stop and go traffic will cause issues.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #15
Badbart56

In the past year that I've owned this truck I only saw the message once. I'm probably just missing it. Honestly, my truck doesn't seem to use much DEF. I filled it up two oil changes ago and it's just now below a half tank. So in about 7000 miles it's used about a half tank of DEF. But I'm not currently towing anything either. Just rural 55 to 70 mph driving with a little city driving.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #16
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
In the past year that I've owned this truck I only saw the message once. I'm probably just missing it. Honestly, my truck doesn't seem to use much DEF. I filled it up two oil changes ago and it's just now below a half tank. So in about 7000 miles it's used about a half tank of DEF. But I'm not currently towing anything either. Just rural 55 to 70 mph driving with a little city driving.
I average a little over 3K between jugs... (2.5 gallon) but usually I'm either in town or towing... I drive seven miles each way to work...
Old 08-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #17
Mikendebbie

DPF regen

I have put 70k on my 2014 and have never received a message of any sort or noticed a change while driving. 3 months ago got a check engine light and it turned out the 9th injector (for the DPF) had to be replaced under warranty. Dealer cleaned the filter while they were replacing the injector.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #18
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
My understanding is most diesels use a rear cylinder for regen The injector is different in that cyl. Carbon builds up in the particulate filter and the computer opens that rear cyl injector and dumps a large volume of fuel so it burns in the particulate filter and incinerates the carbon. Thank the EPA for that. Diesels are built to be run on the highway and using them as a "go getter" or driving in stop and go traffic will cause issues.
Our Chevy has a ninth injector that is in the exhaust going to the DPF, and that is where the diesel is injected when it goes into a regen mode. Not sure about other brands, but would worry about dumping a large amount of fuel into a running cylinder that would still be trying to operate. Would think, besides washing cylinder wall of any lubrication, that damage to the piston would occur from that much fuel.
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:59 AM   #19
SkiSmuggs

I have a 2015 F350. The message is only on the screen a few seconds, but I have an Edge CTS gauge cluster that shows me the regeneration process takes from 15 to 20 miles of driving. You can have a dealer add the screen that shows how full the DPF is. My dealer charged $25 and it is worth every penny to have that knowledge.
This is how to get to the %DPF screen for "Exhaust filter".

(1) IDS "talking" with truck via VCM

(2) Toolbox selected to get to the Module Programming

(3) Programmable Parameters for our trucks

(4) Select Personality Parameter to program

(5) Change "Forced Regeneration Request" to Enabled.

(6) Programming complete and VCM can be disconnected from truck

Ghost Screen now appears
Old 09-02-2018, 08:03 AM   #20
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
DEF has nothing to do with DPF regeneration. It is sprayed into the SCR to reduce NOx emissions. Since NOx emissions increase with engine heat, you use more of it while towing.
DPF regens use diesel fuel sprayed into the exhaust to burn off soot accumulation from the DPF.