Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
kinggartk

2011 F150 EcoBoost Super Cab

I want your opinions about towing with this.

We are buying a 2018 Keystone Bullet 2510BH. Dry weight 4395...GVW 6480.
Truck Payload Capacity 1763.

Assuming fully loaded trailer, tongue weight would be around 972 at 15% (probably will never travel at that fully loaded weight).

Adding 535 Lbs for family, 100Lbs for Bicycles, and 100Lbs for WD hitch. Everything else travels in trailer (Luggage, coolers etc).

I think we will come in real close to max payload, just under maybe.

Thoughts?

2018 Keystone Bullet Crossfire 2510BH
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost Super Cab
kinggartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
Hodgy

Is that a V-8 ?

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
kinggartk

Ecoboost. 3.5V6

Old 01-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

As you suspect you will be close on payload if you travel at capacity. If you just take short trips you will probably never reach the capacity level. If you take any extended trips you will. You don't list bbq pits, tools, etc. etc. so your list can/will grow substantially. It all depends on what else you put in your truck (or trailer storage) to take away from the payload. I travel with the bed of my truck full with a hard cover and still end up buying "stuff" every time we get where we're going.....then give it away before we leave.

Is it doable? Yes. Would a bigger HD truck do it better? Yes, but you don't have to have one to pull it, and pull it safely. Just watch what you load and where you load it. I've pulled a bigger, heavier trailer with a 1/2 ton and it was OK; not great or optimal, but OK. If you start loading very much you really should hit a scale somewhere to see where you're at. Make sure you upgrade you truck tires to LT.JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe the 2011 F150 with 3.5l EcoBoost engine was available in 4x2 and 4x4 versions equipped with either 3.21, 3.55 or 3.73 rear end versions. Each is a significantly different vehicle and each will have significantly different tow capacity. The limiting factor for most F150 trucks is not the capacity of the driveline to mechanically pull that size trailer forward. The limiting factor, for most is the ability to remain below the payload, GVW and rear axle capacities of the truck. The owner's manual stipulates staying below ALL of the capacities. Many (well some) people advocate that if you're OK on any one, ignore the other capacities. It really comes down to whether you want to put your family in a truck that's at/over the factory specified limits.

I'm guessing that with your truck, you'll be overloaded once you put cargo/camping gear/passengers in the truck and hitch a loaded trailer to it. The tongue weight for that trailer will likely fall between 650-950 pounds (10-15% of trailer weight). Also keep in mind that currently you list 585 pounds for family weight and 100 pounds for bicycles. Remember that next your your kids will weigh more than this year and the following year, more again. Additionally, the toys they want will change from 2 bicycles to 2 dirt bikes to 2 ATV's and they will, in the near future, want to bring friends along or they'll pitch a "hissy fit" to stay home..... That "family weight" will only get larger, maybe even with every trip.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
kinggartk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I'm guessing that with your truck, you'll be overloaded once you put cargo/camping gear/passengers in the truck and hitch a loaded trailer to it. The tongue weight for that trailer will likely fall between 650-950 pounds (10-15% of trailer weight). Also keep in mind that currently you list 585 pounds for family weight and 100 pounds for bicycles. Remember that next your your kids will weigh more than this year and the following year, more again. Additionally, the toys they want will change from 2 bicycles to 2 dirt bikes to 2 ATV's and they will, in the near future, want to bring friends along or they'll pitch a "hissy fit" to stay home..... That "family weight" will only get larger, maybe even with every trip.
My kids are teens and about as big as they will get. I'm getting smaller by the way...already lost 45 lbs....looking for 45 more.

ATV's / Dirt Bikes won't be an issue...my girls are princesses...basic bikes are all they care about. IPOD/Tablet all the toys they are interested in.

My calculations with Fully Loaded trailer (Luggage/tools/coolers/canopies etc) and bikes in the truck (900 lb+/- Tongue weight) still show me just under the max payload. Like I said, I doubt I will ever "Fully Load" the trailer.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you've already made up your mind that this will work for you and you're wanting someone else to tell you "it's good, go ahead".... Anybody here will tell you they can't spend your money for you (although many will suggest you spend it on their advice).... The bottom line really falls in your decision whether to go forward or not. Good luck with your decision. I'd advise against it, others may agree or disagree, which leaves it back to you to make the final decision. My "vote" (as if it matters) is no, look for a smaller trailer or a bigger truck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post

Assuming fully loaded trailer, tongue weight would be around 972 at 15% (probably will never travel at that fully loaded weight).

Adding 535 Lbs for family, 100Lbs for Bicycles, and 100Lbs for WD hitch. Everything else travels in trailer (Luggage, coolers etc).

Thoughts?
Just curious where you got your payload number...1763 lbs? Was it from the white/yellow sticker that is on the driver's side door post or elsewhere?
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #9
dcg9381

I haven't owned an Ecoboost, but everyone I've talked to is positive about towing with it. I'd rather own that than a V-8 if towing at altitude.

That being said, I'm a fan of keeping whatever I'm towing at or below 75% of rated capacity...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #10
KCSA75

Quote:

Thoughts?
I'm doing essentially the same thing you're asking about.

2009 F-150 SuperCab, 2wd, 4.6L 3V V8, Tow Package
2008 Keystone Cougar 29FKS, Dry weight 6,085, TW 935.
Curt TrueTrac Trunion Bar WDH

As Sourdough said it's not great but it works. We just got the TT last fall. So other than the 100-plus mile white knuckle trip from the dealer to storage without a WDH, I've only hauled from storage to campground and back -- 10-12 miles each way. I'm still working through getting the WDH fine tuned.

The truck has no problem tugging the trailer down the road and your Ecoboost shouldn't either. The issue is payload and tongue weight. We're under factory specs but not by much. Getting the WDH has made a big difference and I'm hoping for a little more relief once I get it it properly adjusted.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:19 PM   #11
kfxgreenie

Load the thing up, take it across the scales as if you were going camping to get your real #'s. Then take a little trip and make your final decision. Only you can make the decision if you need a different TV or what you have suits your needs.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to consider: We are all advising the owner of a 6 year old vehicle on appropriate weigh ratings and capabilities. We are making assumptions that his vehicle is in "like new" condition. I can take any of you to any WalMart parking lot and we can look at 6 year old vehicles that "look new", we can find 6 year old vehicles that "look like they won't make it to the nearest junk yard" and we can find 6 year old vehicles that are in a variety of conditions between those two extremes.

None of us know what condition the OP's truck is in, whether it has "cut rate tires" or "frame damage that was repaired improperly" or whether the brakes are "barely functional" or "just completely rebuilt". We have no idea what added equipment like an in-bed tool box, lift kits, engine tune chips, or any host of other equipment or modifications/repairs that might have been made during the past 6 years since the vehicle "did meet the door sticker limits".....

This is not intended to be a "put-down" or an insult to the OP and/or his maintenance/vehicle upkeep capability, but rather just a comment that, at least my recommendations (and I think most I've read) are indicative of the OP's truck being in "like new or better" condition.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
I'm doing essentially the same thing you're asking about.

2009 F-150 SuperCab, 2wd, 4.6L 3V V8, Tow Package
2008 Keystone Cougar 29FKS, Dry weight 6,085, TW 935.
Curt TrueTrac Trunion Bar WDH

As Sourdough said it's not great but it works. We just got the TT last fall. So other than the 100-plus mile white knuckle trip from the dealer to storage without a WDH, I've only hauled from storage to campground and back -- 10-12 miles each way. I'm still working through getting the WDH fine tuned.

The truck has no problem tugging the trailer down the road and your Ecoboost shouldn't either. The issue is payload and tongue weight. We're under factory specs but not by much. Getting the WDH has made a big difference and I'm hoping for a little more relief once I get it it properly adjusted.

I just want to point out "but it works" and "it works safely" are two different things.

The OP is looking at a combo that is substantially lighter than yours; gvw 6480 for the OP and you're talking about a gvw of 7800 on yours. He's also pulling with an EcoBoost vs the 4.6L in yours. The 4.6 and the EcoBoost are 2 completely different animals; and the ecoboost is much stouter.

The OP is going to be in a situation of checking every grain of sand to make sure he doesn't go over his payload. Not a good place to be in - I've been there, made one trip and said "not for me" and got a bigger truck. The 4.6 is not nearly as robust as the Ecoboost so I would worry about that right off the bat, combined with the additional weight I would really be worried.

I wouldn't want either combo simply because one is right at its max towing capacity and I suspect the other (4.6) is substantially over. I've found over the years that you don't just "shed" weight every time you come back from a trip....it grows. I've read so many stories on this and other forums...it just happens. Maxed out or overweight is not a good place to be in IMO. It completely ruins any trip I take; hence I make sure I'm not in that spot. I would advocate others do the same - for peace of mind along with your, and your family's, well being.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #14
busterbrown

I own a 35 ft Bullet 308BHS which comes in close to 7400 lbs "ready to camp". The dry hitch weight on this camper is 700 lbs.

I pulled it for the first year of its 'in-service' life with a 1/2 ton Yukon XL Denali (wheelbase 130 inches). Payload on that truck was a little over 1550 lbs. With a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH, the truck was under all the numbers but very close to its maximum payload. Had a few white knuckle moments even after a few adjustments to the hitch so I decided to change out my sway control to a premium Hensley Arrow. It completely eliminated sway but the added weight of the hitch assembly put me at (or slightly over) the payload capacity.

Because my 9 year old Yukon XL was approaching 100K miles and was at its payload limit, I found a wonderful deal on a new Ram 2500 Mega Cab. With long distant camping adventures in the near future, I didn't want the risk of having an aging tow vehicle 1200 miles from home. So the upgrade happened. If in fact I had a sub 30 foot, lighter coach pulling it with a lower mileage 1/2 ton TV, I would have not invested $55K in a new truck.

I've always been a proponent of 1/2 tons pulling up to their specs, especially properly equipped late model variants. Your F150 seems more than capable with the Bullet in question. You have much higher payload, most likely a longer wheelbase, a much smaller trailer, and a very capable forced-induction powerplant. If your rig is setup properly (quality WDH, brake controller, LT tires, appropriate tongue weight), keep your TV cargo to a minimum, and stay within your payload, GVWR, GAWR, tire limits, and GVCWR, I wouldn't doubt that you'll have many enjoyable towing experiences.

It's good practice to know your "ready to camp" weights too, so a trip to the scales is always recommended.

Good luck and safe travels.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #15
Alley Cat

Quote:

Thoughts?
Enjoy you'll be fine a friend tows with an EcoBoost and he is happy with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Al & Donna
2001 F-350 CC, DRW, Diesel...2013 Montana 3750FL

Alley Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #16
kinggartk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I just want to point out "but it works" and "it works safely" are two different things.

The OP is looking at a combo that is substantially lighter than yours; gvw 6480 for the OP and you're talking about a gvw of 7800 on yours. He's also pulling with an EcoBoost vs the 4.6L in yours. The 4.6 and the EcoBoost are 2 completely different animals; and the ecoboost is much stouter.

The OP is going to be in a situation of checking every grain of sand to make sure he doesn't go over his payload. Not a good place to be in - I've been there, made one trip and said "not for me" and got a bigger truck. The 4.6 is not nearly as robust as the Ecoboost so I would worry about that right off the bat, combined with the additional weight I would really be worried.

I wouldn't want either combo simply because one is right at its max towing capacity and I suspect the other (4.6) is substantially over. I've found over the years that you don't just "shed" weight every time you come back from a trip....it grows. I've read so many stories on this and other forums...it just happens. Maxed out or overweight is not a good place to be in IMO. It completely ruins any trip I take; hence I make sure I'm not in that spot. I would advocate others do the same - for peace of mind along with your, and your family's, well being.
Just to clarify...max towing capacity of my truck is 8600 lbs and I'll be at substantially less than the 6480 GVW. Towing capacity is not an issue.

I don't really think payload will be an issue either. If I load my trailer down to the max and keep tongue weight at 15%...I expect to be just under max payload.....I don't expect to ever at the max GVW of the trailer.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #17
kinggartk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Just curious where you got your payload number...1763 lbs? Was it from the white/yellow sticker that is on the driver's side door post or elsewhere?
From Sticker...GVW of truck is 7050. Curb Weight 5300.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #18
linux3

4393 lbs? Not bad. But your hitch adds around 100 lbs to the tongue weight and I bet it's measured before battery and tanks are added.
My 195RB is listed at 3711 lbs and 405 tongue weight.
I've pulled that beauty for 2 years of long road trips over thousands of miles and almost forget it's there. My Silverado is rated for around the same as your Ford.
I almost never have any water in the fresh tank. I almost always drain the grey if not the black tank before hauling. The freezer and refrig are usually full as we never eat out. My wife's clothes are packed in every available space and shoes......
All in at the scales of a kindly junk yard I was 4616 lbs.
The GVW weight assumes full tanks and water is heavy. Full tanks adds almost 900 lbs.
Go out there and enjoy.
BTW, I have 3.42 gears and get around 12 MPG. I'd be very interested in your mileage when towing.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #19
Hodgy

You guys are making me feel good. My 1800RB has a tag weight of 3260 and
my TV 2005 Silverado Z-71, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, with 4.10 Rear Axle, has GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs.

I should be good to go.

Keeping those black and grey empty and minimal in the potable tank is key. You don't realize how much the crap you load in the TT & TV adds up.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:37 AM   #20
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Keeping those black and grey empty and minimal in the potable tank is key. You don't realize how much the crap you load in the TT & TV adds up.
My wife would consider 7 pairs of assorted boots, shoes and sandals plus piles of clothes, biking and hiking gear, snacks, 2 cartons of ice cream, and a stuffed refrig just basics not crap. LOL

That's right, she bakes cookies sometimes while camping. Oh, and a hula hoop.

You are right, it does add up.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150