Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
xrated

Air Horn install....

So I've thought about adding a set of air horns off and on for several years, just never did it until now. So I bought a set of train horns and mounted them under the truck on the right side under the bed. Next up was a Viair compressor to power them. It came with a 2 gallon air tank and pumps up to 200 psi. Eventually, I may do some additions to be able to air up the truck tires with it, but for now, it's for the horns. I also found a pretty neat device to actuate the solenoid valve that controls the horns. It's a 12VDC wireless operated switch. You provide 12V to the board to operate it and 12V to a set of contacts (rated at 10 amps). It comes with two key fob remotes, similar to a car/truck key fob and it operates at 433 mHz. So the key fob button activates the relay, which in turn operates the solenoid valve, which in turn makes the air horns blow. Me likey!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
Old 09-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the train horn club. I've had mine since '09 and still get a kick out of them. 5 gal tank here and I have timed it-11seconds of 153Db before they fade.

Be careful to look for the "gum ball" machines before you flip the switch as they are a noise violation.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
notanlines

I just can't get over the juvenile thinking behind scaring some poor defenseless individual who doesn't yield on the entrance ramp.......uh, how much do they cost?
Old 09-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I just can't get over the juvenile thinking behind scaring some poor defenseless individual who doesn't yield on the entrance ramp.......uh, how much do they cost?
Or watching some unsuspecting youngster jump off his skateboard as you pass him. Just search "terror on the streets" by hornblasters.com and you'll understand.

In 2008, when I bought mine, it was called the conductors special. I upgraded the tank and compressor-$750.00

Best money I ever spent. I usually reserve them for the idiot that cuts me off trying to make an off ramp. I will admit to childish pranks when they were new. Before I'm done I want the Nathan KL5H horns on the other side. 156Db and can be heard 4 miles away.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
busterbrown

Quote:
Too many close calls with merging interstate entrance ramps has me considering a air horn install on my Ram 2500. Seen a few bolt on kits offered that include all the necessary hardware. The oem trumpet horn would be for polite gestures; the air horns exclusive for motoring idiocracy.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

Old 09-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
xrated

busterbrown wrote:
Quote:
The oem trumpet horn would be for polite gestures; the air horns exclusive for motoring idiocracy.
Kind of where I'm at with these. A couple of weekends ago, we were heading to Bowling Green for a trackday weekend. I pulled up to a 4 way stop intersection. There were two lanes going straight ahead, but the right lane ended about 200 ft. past the 4 way. So while I'm there waiting my turn, a guy in a BMW pulls up next to me and as soon as I start to move forward, he pulls out at the same time. Before it's over, he cuts me off and merges in front of me, almost hitting my right front side of the truck. I blew my horn (no air horns then) and gave him a "friendly wave". He ended up being between my rig and a motorhome pulling a toad for almost 12 miles before he could pass the motorhome.....Mr. Big Hurry almost caused an accident and still couldn't go any faster than I was.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Years back: I'm driving down the Main Street of my town. Duffus in a van pulls out of a parking lot right in front of me going the other way. I light him up and I'm sure he extinguished his cigarette that fell out of his mouth with the liquid he leaked out in his lap. My grown son about fell out laughing.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:44 PM   #8
rhagfo

Train horns are illegal in many states, I installed a set of Kline semi air horns, they are my only horn. I can give a gentle beep, or what the he** are you thinking blast. They are under the passenger floor boards.
Having your horn on a key fob is not very handy!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 09-24-2017, 11:51 PM   #9
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Train horns are illegal in many states, I installed a set of Kline semi air horns, they are my only horn. I can give a gentle beep, or what the he** are you thinking blast. They are under the passenger floor boards.
Having your horn on a key fob is not very handy!
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, they are illegal to use in all 50 states.....the exception being, in some states you can use them if they are hooked up to a security system. And actually, having it operate from a key fob will be very convenient.....the key fob will be placed on the steering wheel in the approx location of the existing horn activation button.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:50 AM   #10
notanlines

Pushing aside my feeble attempt at a little humor, I have had the website saved for quite some time. I just haven't brought myself to push the "buy" button.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 09-25-2017, 02:32 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

I bought mine knowing fully well that they weren't "legal" for use as my horn. They are activated by a separate switch, and YES they have helped prevent a serious accident AFTER the feeble factory horn didn't get their attention.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:38 AM   #12
xrated

Quote:
Pushing aside my feeble attempt at a little humor, I have had the website saved for quite some time. I just haven't brought myself to push the "buy" button.
I caught your humour in your previous post. I wouldn't call it feeble....I'd call it suttle, that sounds better! . I've been thinking about getting some ever since I bought my F250 back in 2010, and I just pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago.....I needed some time to "air out" my decision on them.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:41 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I bought mine knowing fully well that they weren't "legal" for use as my horn. They are activated by a separate switch, and YES they have helped prevent a serious accident AFTER the feeble factory horn didn't get their attention.
Installed compressor/train horns several years ago with a momentary switch for a short blast and a latching switch that connects to factory horns so while driving I don't have to look for a switch, just hit the horn button in the steering wheel.
Seems like here on the east coast that the idiots that think mirrors are for looking at clouds and painting faces with makeup are the same idiots that drive with the volume on the thousand watt radio turned up to "make your licence plate vibrate lose and fall off". They tend to only look forward to the road that they obviously believe they fully own. The factory horn just can't cut thru the noise and dense gray matter.
I installed my compressor between the tailgate and wheel housing (8' bed with a cap) and added a air fitting. Carry a tire chuck, blow gun, and 50' of air line.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:54 AM   #14
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

So... are any of the "illegal horn" users members of the weight or speed police?

Funny how people pick and choose which things to chastise others about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #15
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
So... are any of the "illegal horn" users members of the weight or speed police?

There might be just a dab of difference between towing overloaded and using a loud horn. And yes, I will preach about the evils of towing overloaded and risking yourself and others because of a lack of concern about being overloaded. I will also use my illegal horns to get the attention of some careless/distracted driver who might cause an accident involving my wife and I.....why do you ask?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:41 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Sounds like you have been challenged about weight/speed? In Maryland where I reside, and I believe in the majority of the country,all horns on all motor vehicles are considered "emergency devices", including big rigs. Thus, the frivolous use of an emergency device is a ticketable offense under all state laws, including Maryland. I have several friends/relatives in LE and I consulted them before purchasing my set of horns. I don't use the horn for childish pranks or scaring people. I agree with xrated on the obvious differences. It boils down to common sense IMHO.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

I suppose some would consider me a member of the "weight police" while others may go so far as to consider me a "leader of the pack"... That said, it would be difficult for me to make any comment about a previous response without interjecting "personal feelings" into my response. So, here goes: I find comments such as those posted in response #14 to be offensive and an attempt to belittle anyone who may have posted comments about overloaded towing or speed related comments. Posts like that don't serve to advance the topic, rather they only serve as an "attempt to insult" those to whom they are directed in an ambiguous way. "Backhanded insults" or "stirring the pot" are two descriptions that come to mind.

While everyone is certainly entitled to feel any way they choose, when it comes to attempts to belittle members by associating their beliefs or actions about one topic by "lumping" them with other topics serves no purpose other than an apparent attempt to create animosity and/or to insult other members by "jabbing them about an unrelated topic" on the forum.

That is not the purpose of this forum and is not the "friendly atmosphere" we wish to provide.

Two "adult oriented, mature responses" have been posted before mine, and I appreciate the thoughtful, restrained responses.

Let's get this thread back on track, talking about air horn installation, not about insulting people about being members of the weight police/speed police in some attempt to discredit the thread or its contributors.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-27-2017, 09:02 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Air Horn install....

Quote:

I am a member of both, and retired LEO. I have yet to see a single post by ANY member CHASTISIING another for being over gross, going too fast or having horns too loud.
I have seen numerous posts by members stating FACTS and advising others to make up their own mind using the FACTS provided.

If you can please quote any posts that chastise another please post them here. Until then I will continue to post FACTS and ADVISE members to chose their decisions based on that. I ask that you not use words and accusations that are meant to inflame others.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #19
geobet

Meanwhile, back on track. I like to think I have used my air horns in a responsible manner. To my knowledge, no recipient of the blast ever had to pull over and change under britches nor did birds fall out of the sky. But, just in case, I have a backup on board. A screamer DW!! She only does it if she imagines on coming doom. You can imagine the noise inside the truck cab with air horns blowing and DW screaming. I've thought about just disconnecting the air horns, rolling down the passenger side window and having her hang her head out. I can only imagine people buried in cemeteries two counties over flipping over in their graves. Lordy, where did I leave those ear plugs???

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
Old 09-27-2017, 02:57 PM   #20
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
Meanwhile, back on track. I like to think I have used my air horns in a responsible manner. To my knowledge, no recipient of the blast ever had to pull over and change under britches nor did birds fall out of the sky. But, just in case, I have a backup on board. A screamer DW!! She only does it if she imagines on coming doom. You can imagine the noise inside the truck cab with air horns blowing and DW screaming. I've thought about just disconnecting the air horns, rolling down the passenger side window and having her hang her head out. I can only imagine people buried in cemeteries two counties over flipping over in their graves. Lordy, where did I leave those ear plugs???
OK, the way I see it after your comment, there are only two choices...
1. You are a very brave man
2. Your DW NEVER EVER reads this forum and she doesn't know anyone that does.

Closed Thread