Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
Jetfixer03

Diesel in cold weather

I've never owned a deisel. Until recently I didn't tow often enough to feel the need, I never liked the noise, and cold weather always seemed like an issue.

Well, I do tow often now, and new diesels seem way more quiet. I live at 8700 ft in CO, so it's often single digits in the winter. I understand that starting is improved these days as well, but fuel gelling is still an issue. How much of a pain is it to deal with? Unfortunately I don't have a garage I can fit a truck intro.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

For what it's worth, I live in northern Michigan where the winter temps regularly drop to below zero. It's not unusual to have 2 or 3 weeks each January-February where the temperature doesn't get above zero and -15F is a regular nightly occurance. I'm fortunate to have a garage for my truck, so I have never had a problem with diesel fuel. I also have a diesel farm tractor that I use regularly in the winter to move snow. It is stored in an unheated pole barn and I've also never had a problem with diesel fuel in the tractor. Both of my brothers in law also have diesel trucks. One is a 2010 F350 6.4L and one is a 2014 GMC 6.6L (I think) diesel. Neither of them have space in their garage for their truck and they've never had an issue with diesel fuel.

So, from my limited experience and those that I personally know, in the past 8 years, there's been no problem with cold weather operation, other than the fact that it seems to take "FOREVER" for the truck to warm up enough to provide cabin heat. The electric supplemental cabin heater that's optional on Ford diesels is a "must have" for cold weather living. I'm not sure if GM or RAM even offer the option, so.......

My suggestion would be that if you do buy a diesel, be aware of where you buy your fuel and keep the water separator functional by draining it as indicated by the owner's manual.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
xrated

^^^^ Great advice John. I would guess that sales of Diesel trucks in certain parts of the country offer different options, but the supplemental cab heater would be great for CO, as well as making sure that you have an engine block heater. Mine had the engine block heater (E. TN), and I've never used it other than to make sure that it works. If I remember correctly, Ford suggests that it's not even necessary until it get down around 10 degrees...may zero, I can't remember for sure.

I can remember driving one of the diesel work trucks where I used to work (they were Ford and 2006 or 2007 models) and you would turn the key on and wait for 7 or 8 seconds for the glow plugs to warm up, then start it. My 2011, with the 6.7 diesel, if it's cold enough for that light to come on, the time is maybe 1 second or less. The newer Ford glow plugs heat almost instantly.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
Pull Toy

I have a 2006, 6.0 Diesel Ford, and 1990, Kubota tractor here in Connecticut with no garage, and have been "doing diesels" since 1968. The only time I've ever had a problem, was when I didn't add Anti-Gel additive below 20degrees +/-. In the old days they sold "Winter Diesel" right from the pump, but not any more, around here. I fueled up in New Hampshire in January, and the pump was labeled "Winter Blend", but they still advised Anti-Gel additive.

I buy a big jug at Wal-Mart for about $16 that will treats 250 gallons, and I treat all winter (Dec thru Mar). I figure it's cheap enough to use a few bucks worth, rather than have problems when it is too cold to climb under the truck to defrost lines! I funnel pour from the jug into a 12oz water bottle, and carry it with me to the fuel stop. Pour it into the tank first, then fuel up. It'll blend better that way. You can't add too much, If you go a little over on the "mix", don't worry about it. Try to use a high volume fuel stop, so you get the fresh stuff

Modern diesels sold in cold weather states/areas have block heaters factory installed. If you buy new, make sure to get the 110v plug and installed wire set. It's a no charge option, just like a front license plate bracket in the states that require one. Some dealers try to sell it to you later for $100 plus! I've only bothered to plug in when I expected the temp to drop into single digits, or wanted instant heat when I had to leave early in the morning. My 20 watt outdoor timer is set to turn the heater on at 2:30am, I leave for work at 7:00am. No need to run it all night (900 to 1200 watts avg.)

Sounds like work. but it's not. You'll love your diesel after you alter your mindset, just a little!

GOOD LUCK,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
66joej

For what it's worth up here in Canada come October 1 the service stations change diesel fuel to a winter blend. This for the most part stops fuel from waxing/gelling. Check and see they may also do that in Colorado.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
Jetfixer03

Sounds like no big deal them, cool. Thanks for the input. You know, its amazing how high tech diesels are now. Used to be they were the most uncomplicated, simple engines. Now it seems like they have the most technology under the hood than anything. But the performance is amazing.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
CarKath

I live in Manitoba . Manitoba = very cold winters . Cold weather in not an issue for my 6.6 duramax. I plug it in on nights when it gets below -20C . So frequently . It starts without fail every time. We get , as I am sure you do , seasonally adjusted fuel.

I am confident if you have a block heater , you will be just fine. There are additives for antigel you could use . I personally do not use.

Power service and kleenflo come to mind . If you choose to use power service, don't use the 911 version for everyday use , emergency only . But you can research that too.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
hdxbonez

Here in NH we have seasonal fuel. I also run Power Service additive during extreme cold spells. I start plugging in when it gets down near zero, dont know if it needs it, but it does warm up quicker. My Ram came with a vinyl 'cold front' grill cover, but I never noticed much difference when I've used it. It does keep snow and ice out of the grill and air intake however! Modern diesels have few of the issues that plagued the older versions.....
Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #9
Desert185

Get that block heater and use it with a $5, 1000 watt, HF timer for about three hours before you plan to start it. Cold starts are really hard on engines.

If the engine doesn't have a cold start cycle where the engine drops a couple of cylinders at a high idle for a faster warmup (probably won't initiate with the block heater preheat), activate the exhaust brake during any required warmup time. The EB will speed the warmup.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
CarKath

hdxbonez raises a very important point of the cold front / winter front . Without it your doomed , lol ( maybe not )Today's diesels run cold and the winter front to maintain heat . Most new trucks come with . My last 2 trucks did.

An FYI . -20C = -4 F
Old 03-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
notanlines

I believe it was a bright young Michigander who said "The electric supplemental cabin heater that's optional on Ford diesels is a "must have" for cold weather living." Even living in Memphis it is really nice to have almost instant heat. We all love it!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #12
xrated

That's one option that I wish mine would have had on it when I bought it. Thankfully, E. TN doesn't get a lot of really cold winter weather, and it's not my everyday driver.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I believe it was a bright young Michigander...!

I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK !!!! well, at least in my mind I do...

One out of three ain't bad.... Bright, hmmm Young, Thanks, but..... Michigander.... You got one right ...

You definitely have the part about the supplemental heat being a "best buy option" right......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #14
CarKath

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I believe it was a bright young Michigander who said "The electric supplemental cabin heater that's optional on Ford diesels is a "must have" for cold weather living." Even living in Memphis it is really nice to have almost instant heat. We all love it!

Supplemental cabin heating does little for cold starting....... never has........ never will.

It will help make cabin comfortable sooner . Unless you have a block heater and / or a pan heater , your cold starting will not be affected by a cabin heater
Old 03-21-2017, 02:34 AM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Gee, and I was excited with the heated steering wheel.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:19 AM   #16
bsmith0404

Ran my dmax in WY and IL, never an issue. I did plug it in when the temps dropped to near 0, makes for a very quick warm up. The dmax didn't have an electric cabin heater (then, not sure about now), but it does come with a high idle option to assist with warm up. I also had the front cover, when I ran it in cold weather I noticed the engine did run warmer than if I didn't run it. The bad part in WY and IL one day could be 0, the next could be 45. The cover is not recommended for temps above 35 (if I remember correctly) so I didn't use it much. IMO there are 2 requirements for cold weather diesels, block heater and heated seats, mine has both.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:05 AM   #17
gkainz

I plug in my '07 Dodge Ram Cummins (and did my '97 as well) when it's forecast to dip near 0* F simply for quicker cabin heat. When I'm out hunting, it starts fine colder than that but takes a long time to warm up.
The only fuel gelling I've ever run into was a lot of years ago when I filled up my aux tank in CA with temps in the 70s and drove to Colorado where temps went well below 0*.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #18
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Ran my dmax in WY and IL, never an issue. I did plug it in when the temps dropped to near 0, makes for a very quick warm up. The dmax didn't have an electric cabin heater (then, not sure about now), but it does come with a high idle option to assist with warm up. I also had the front cover, when I ran it in cold weather I noticed the engine did run warmer than if I didn't run it. The bad part in WY and IL one day could be 0, the next could be 45. The cover is not recommended for temps above 35 (if I remember correctly) so I didn't use it much. IMO there are 2 requirements for cold weather diesels, block heater and heated seats, mine has both.
Heated seats and Katzkin leather!
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #19
Ken / Claudia

As stated they are not a issue or even concern during winter. All states in cold areas have winter blend fuel. What ever truck you buy will have a manual to tell you if and when to add anything to the tank. If so it is just pouring stuff into the fuel tank that is purchased at any big store or auto parts place. As far as the loud noise they make. You hear that when the vehicle is stopped next to you as most people and they hate it. While driving with windows up, inside they are not nearly as loud as outside. Until and unless you drove inside one you may believe they are to loud to drive. That is not the case. Those big lug tires on 4x4 jacked up trucks make as much or more noise from their tires than a modern diesel pickup.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:35 AM   #20
Barbell

When we were on the farm in Missouri many years ago, we always had to plug in the IH diesel tractors in winter if we had any expectation of a need to use them. Some people used No. 1 diesel in winter but it is probably not available anymore. Here in AZ at 4500 elev, we don't need to plug in but the heated seats and steering wheel make it more comfortable on the rare mornings when it is below freezing. I do use Power Service cetane boost in both winter and summer versions. As far as noise, I always have to shut the truck off to hear and be heard at any drive-up window but the '16 truck is much better than the old '01 was.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote