Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2015, 05:30 AM   #21
jsmith948

You are correct. You need a class A license if your towed vehicle has a GVWR of 15,001# or more. You need, at least, the RV endorsement if your trailer's GVWR is between 10,001# and 15,000#. In my case, my class 'A' CDL covers all of the above, however. I must have a valid 'medical card' on file (must be renewed every 2 yrs). Our trailer has a GVWR of 10,070#. I will be getting the RV endorsement and letting my class A go, since I no longer drive the big rigs. That way, I won't have the hassle of the medical card/questionaire.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #22
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
You are correct. You need a class A license if your towed vehicle has a GVWR of 15,001# or more. You need, at least, the RV endorsement if your trailer's GVWR is between 10,001# and 15,000#. In my case, my class 'A' CDL covers all of the above, however. I must have a valid 'medical card' on file (must be renewed every 2 yrs). Our trailer has a GVWR of 10,070#. I will be getting the RV endorsement and letting my class A go, since I no longer drive the big rigs. That way, I won't have the hassle of the medical card/questionaire.
I let my class A go this year for the reason of a expensive medical exam and I haven't used it in 25 years .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #23
FlyingChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
Interesting. Wonder how long it will take other states to follow suit. So I'm curious, I have a CDL with all endorsements, in CA would I also need some kind of RV endorsement? And congratulations on passing your test.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Nope....your CDL covers all other classes.
FlyingChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #24
FlyingChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Don't you just love this state? First you have to take the tests over for everything then find a guy to go with you to get the PERMIT what a load of crap. I admire you for taking the time to get your license but The hoops you went through were rediclious. (sp)
So you ride a motorcycle and you need a license to ride. I get that but you first need a permit. How do you get the bike there for the driving test Who in there right mind would ride on the back so you get the license. California is so stupid. I get it if you never drove and so the permit is ok but if you have a license already you should just go in pass the test and thats it. What? you can't take the driving on the same day is crap.. Like you have nothing better to do than come to DMV and hang out. This is the reason people don't bother getting things like this.
You are a bigger man than me.
Thanks, Oldtimer. The CA Motorcycle learner's permit is the only permit that doesn't require you to ride with someone else with the license. You just can't haul a passenger on your bike until you have the full license.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #25
FlyingChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
I'm not sure I understand all the attached post on this. I inquired about this myself within the last couple of years here in CA. Yes front desk at DMV does not seem to be sure of things. I have a pamphlet here at the house, Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook", DMV State of California. Page 11 is titled "Recreational Trailer Endorsement".

"A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.

. There are no fees unless your license expires within six months.
. You will take a law test for noncommercial Class A license based on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past twelve months.
. You are NOT required to submit a Health Questionnaire.
. You are NOT required to take a driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.
. No other test are required.

If anyone has anything different please advise. THX Homer
You're right. Until your 5er has a GVWR over 15k. That's when the 'endorsement' isn't enough and you have to go get the NonCommercial Class A license. That's also explained in the Trailer and Housecar booklet. The Non-Commercial A requires knowledge test, Health Questionnaire, and Driving Test.