Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
RLD_999

Ford F350 6.0 Turbo Diesel Question

I just bought a 2003 ford F350 6.0 Turbo Diesel with 119,000 miles.

It is pristine, but now I read that they are absolute junk, and I am uncertain if I should keep it, and try to use it as a tow vehicle for my 34' Challenger Fifth Wheel.

I would appreciate any input from those who have owned one...

Thank...
Richard
RLD_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
hankaye

RLD_999, Howdy;

I have a 2004 (an early one), so it is much like yours. Good news is the
EGR cooler is the better of the ones produced for the 6.0.
Did you get it in private sale or through a dealer? The engine has some
design problems but I wouldn't consider it a throw-away.
I went to BulletProof Engineering and had them do a level III up grade.
Don't know where you are located but they have authorized installers
all over the country.
Luckily I'd paid off the truck and was able to get a loan to pay for it.
I bought the truck used in 2009 and what I paid for it was less than the
book value of it this past April.
There are several forums that you can check out;
http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/index.php?
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/
As I said earlier I went through these guys;
http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Articles.asp?ID=148

I have no connection with anyone listed except as a satisfied customer.

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Cougarfamily

They are far from being 'absolute junk'. Do some have problems, yes, but not all. Ours has 98,500 miles on her and only has had the oil cooler replaced 2 years ago, and 2 injectors put in last month. Pulls our 37' Cougar over the Rockies just fine. Just make sure you don't baby it 'cause they like to be run hard, don't idle excessively, and keep an eye on the ph levels of the anti-freeze.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't own a 6.0L diesel, never have, so this is my "learned opinion" not "experienced facts". If I were looking for a truck and found one in the price range, that had been properly cared for, was in good condition, I'd certainly consider it. There are historical problems with the 6.0L engine, but there are also workarounds that make it significantly more reliable.

It seems, from discussions on here that the engine is essentially reliable. The problems seem to come from improper (or inadequate) maintenance, "add-on" tunes and performance modifications more than regular use within the factory guidelines.

Just knowing that it's a 6.0L Ford diesel doesn't necessarily mean it's not a reliable, trustworthy engine for your towing needs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
Toy Teacher

As others have said the 6.0 can have it's problems but they can be repaired...
I have 80k on it now, At 53k I had a High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) Connector Fitting fail and truck would not start At that point I decided to go ahead just do ALL the normal upgrades and then some...

Would I buy another 6.0 absolutely I have a friend that has a 2006 6.0 with 265k+ on it and has never touched it so you just never know.
"Oh No It's a 6.0"
2013 Ultra Limited
1972 CB500Four Cafe/Brat
Toy Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I dont own one, but...

I don't think they are junk at all. Been wrenching "on the side" for 40 yrs, and an active member of a FORD diesel truck forum since 2008. This s what i have learned:
the 6.0L was built using fewer head bolts per cylinder than previous engines, and torque to yield head bolts were used. In the STOCK non "programmed" configuration, these engine can go a long time. Another issue is the coolant that Ford put in. Oil coolers plug and then cause egr cooler issues that lead to head gasket issues. How to avoid:
dump the Ford gold coolant, flush the system and once clean, use CAT ELC or equivalent. DON'T add any performance chips, tuners etc. Unless you can afford head gasket repair bill. I have friends with stock 6.0's that have had zero issues.

The 6.0 doesn't do good with weak batteries, and the FICM takes the brunt of that. Make sure you keep the batteries up.

The turbo uses variable vane technology, meaning the vanes change pitch to control boost. The part that moves them is called the "unison ring" and it will start sticking of you do a lot of start/stop cycles without heating things up. Best thing is to drive it "like you stole it" once a month the keep the unison ring free.

There are some other "tricks" to the 6.0 and I don't mean to scare you. EVERY engine has it's quirks and if you know about them and take measures to prevent them, the 6.0 can be one mean powerful reliable platform for towing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
Hansel

Well the 03 was the first year of the 6.0L and it was a disaster for Ford they had some major problems with the wiring harnesses, along with head gasket's. But on the other hand if properly deleted and upgraded they have great power, and with the turbo having the vanes that change you get some killer turbo whistle

If it was me I would as soon as I could EGT delete, and do the necessary upgrades too the oil cooler, and get ride of the Ford coolant and replace it with a ELC coolant, also a coolant filter as a add on.

There is a TON of information at places like Powerstroke.org, The Diesel Stop, and Powerstroke Nation just too name a few, knowledge is key as well as maintenance too keep your truck running reliable.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:38 AM   #8
jsm180

My 03 has 175,000 miles, original head gaskets and tty bolts. I run an 80 hp daily drive tune and a 65hp tow tune when pulling the 5th wheel. I do all my own maintenance.

My advice to anyone thinking about a 6.0, if you intend to do the maintenance yourself it's a great buy. They are reliable when maintained and easy to work on. If you have to rely on a shop to do all your maintenance be sure they know the 6.0 and be prepared to spend.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:04 AM   #9
Rex1vt

2004 250 6.0

I bought mine new and have kept it serviced, and stock. I have pulled 12,000 pounds 5000 miles each of the last three years across about 40 states total with no problems,knock on wood. 155,000 miles and going.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #10
Desert185

Some rigs can be used/abused differently than others, but regardless of what you drive, good maintenance and personal involvement is the key, whether it be a chainsaw, a motorcycle, an airplane or a TV. At least that has been my experience over the years ( Dad).
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Wes Tausend

I like the 6.0L because, along with the smaller displacement like the 5.9L Cummins, it has more factory power than the 7.3L. Because of the conservative-displacement fuel economy potential and grey reputation, I did a lot of research. With the EGR plug-up problem fixed, they are top notch performers. Some of the most practical advice I ran into is to add a coolant filter to one of the heater hose lines and clean it often.

Some folks feel that casting sand remains in some new engine block cores, and if so, it can plug the fine-screened EGR and start an expensive downhill process. Something does frequently plug the EGR in every catastrophic failure when they happen. So if you decide to chance no extravagant upgrade$, this is a great way to add insurance at low cost. The coolant filter is recommended for all vehicles actually, but stock on very few.

Scale debris is usually responsible for heater core underperformance and I know this because I have gotten close to 1/2 pound of rust scale just by flushing the core with a garden hose, on used rigs I bought. Enough sediment remained one time, I had to do it again 6 months later to get heat. Much of the scale can be avoided if folks would just remember to replace coolant once every three years. The additives do wear out, even if the aging glycol never freezes. Ford, and Ram, have an additive that should be added between coolant replacements.

I avoided buying a really nice 6.0L that went for $17k and paid nearly that for an earlier, stinky 7.3L, which has no EGR. The 7.3L also has less power, less than the V10 6.8L gasser from the same era as a matter of fact. With so many cubic inches, and subsequent low engine loading, the 7.3L fuel economy is nothing to brag about. It is slightly better than the V10 of the same year, and I know because I own and tow with both.

I say keep the truck, filter it, and enjoy better durability, fuel economy and power than most diesels.

I'll probably be driving my gasser to save money this year. While gas dropped below $3 in ND, fuel went from $3.79 to $3.99, and now $4.09. Geez. Like my buddy said, "We're getting fracked in ND"!

Wish you best of luck, Richard.

Wes
2019 Leprechaun 311FS
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

HI THERE I have 3 customers with 60 fords 2 trucks are really nice. i service them regularly and have the coolant filters in stalled. they have never had any egr injector issues they do take good care of them. the third one is doing it's best to survive, but it's owner is doing his best to kill it!. oil leaks no service except when towed in. it is the poster child for no maintanance. now that one is a junker! the owner says he hates the truck and says it costs too much everytime he brings it in. I tell him if he looks in the mirror he will see what the problems are with the truck. so like others have said take it to a good shop that knows that engine take care of it and drive on! good luck an enjoy
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
LittleJoe

easy to work on. If you have to rely on a shop to do all your maintenance be sure they know the 6.0 and be prepared to spend.[/QUOTE]

Almost spit my coffee out on that easy to work on bit

Since you already have it , the coolant filter is good advice. If it were mine it would get an upgradeds EGR cooler at the least.

The single best thing you can do is DO NOT work it hard with big "trailer" load unless engine is up to operating temp to help head gaskets live.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #14
fred1609

I had a 2006 6 litre F350 for 3 years, pulling my 2011 Cougar 327RES. We bought the rig and truck in the fall of 2010. Because the truck had low mileage we were also able to purchase an extended warranty from Ford. Thank goodness we did....We had the high pressure oil pump go on the truck even before we drove it on any long trips. On our first summer trip with the rig, we had an intercooler line crack, which was repaired. 3 days later the turbo went down. The next year we had the front bearings replaced, which is understandable. That summer we went through another turbo. This year the extended warranty would have expired so we sold the truck. My thoughts were that I didn't want to pay a bunch of money to have the EGR delete done and still have problems with the truck. We bought a 2011 F350 and what a difference that 6.7 litre engine makes. It pulls like nobodys business. The thing about the 6 litres is that you should likely think about an after market oil cooler, as the OE units tend to clog up, Make sure you that get a quality EGR delete. Theres a few other things that need to done as well. Check out you tube regarding the deletes and the 6 litre in general. I think if you look at the videos with a critical eye you will likely stay away from the fix litres.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #15
Brantlaker

I was very disappointed with the 6.0 when it first came out. I saw first hand how bad they were as a Ford service manager. It took 2 of my techs off the line to do warranty work on them. First we changed Injectors, then EGR's, turbo's and a lot of unhappy customers. Ford bought back 6 or 7 trucks. I had good techs and when they got done rebuilding them they worked like a dream. I had a old service buddy (USMC) that was an engineer with International and told my techs what had to be done and how to do it. The latter 6.0 engines were much better from 2005 on. I now have a2015 6.7 and 6 weeks and 5,000 miles on it and love it.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #16
RLD_999

FORD 6.0 Diesel Problem

I recently purchased a 2003 FORD F350 Diesel with a 6.0 , thinking it to be a 7.3

It has 119,000 miles on it ... is in pristine condition, inside & out , but I am scared of it , due to it's reputation. HERE IS MY QUESTION ...

I am told that BULLET PROOFING it , with new EGR assembly , head bolts and other upgrades will LIKELY stop it from being my personal disaster ..... I would like to hear from anyone who ACTUALLY HAS owned one, and especially from those who HAVE paid the $4000 for the BULLET PROOFING process... and if it was really what it claims to be.

Thank You .... Richard
Old 11-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Go to one the following websites, and you'll be inundated with information on the 6.0 and what's involved in "bullet proofing".

http://www.thedieselstop.com/

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Is it worth the expense? A vast majority of posters in the above forums believe it is.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

RLD,

You asked essentially the same question in another thread you started on November 18th: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20289

Have you read the responses contained there? I will move this thread to combine with that one since they are both asking the for the same information. That way, the members who do respond will have all the other information provided in the same place.

Good Luck with your truck. If it is in "pristine condition" and you're satisfied with it, I wouldn't think getting rid of it is the best option, that is unless you've recently found a "pirate's treasure" or hit the lottery LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #19
hankaye

RLD_999, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLD_999 View Post
I recently purchased a 2003 FORD F350 Diesel with a 6.0 , thinking it to be a 7.3

It has 119,000 miles on it ... is in pristine condition, inside & out , but I am scared of it , due to it's reputation. HERE IS MY QUESTION ...

I am told that BULLET PROOFING it , with new EGR assembly , head bolts and other upgrades will LIKELY stop it from being my personal disaster ..... I would like to hear from anyone who ACTUALLY HAS owned one, and especially from those who HAVE paid the $4000 for the BULLET PROOFING process... and if it was really what it claims to be.

Thank You .... Richard
Yes I took my 2004 (early has the round EGR cooler), to BulletProof Eng.
in Mesa, Az. this past July, and had the Level III done to it. In Monday
morning back in my possession Thursday afternoon. They were done
with it Wed. took it for a 100+ mile test ride, and tweaked it Thurs. am.
Thurs. pm I took it for a test drive of about 100 miles, brought it back to
them to check for leaks,drips & anything else that may have been missed
by the earlier.
$4,000.00 gets you a level II, mine cost slightly more than twice that which
is still better than a full replacement (about $15,000.00), when you can least
expect or afford it. I was able to plan ahead for this and work out my finances
to get it done in my timetable and not "trust to the Gods".
So far I've had a few questions for the guys in Mesa, they haven't flinched and
have ( in my opinion), been up front and honest with me in all communications,
email, on the phone or in person.
They have given me peace of mind ... very important don't ya think.
Any other questions give them a call ask for Andrew Presley and tell
them hank & rascal referred you. I don't get anything from it. I just like
what they did to my truck and did I mention, for my peace of mind.
Any other questions and you can PM me.

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #20
RLD_999

F350

Thanks for the input.
I may need to check on just what my $4000 proposal means in the scheme of things.

Richard