Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yep, that's the way I understand it as well.... The "rub" comes when there is a 5MBPS input and, let's say, 3 devices connected to the router... Each devices "wants 4 MBPS"... you can't get 12MBPS from a 5MBPS source... So, EVERY device slows down to a crawl, freezes, won't connect, drops connections, etc...

fatcatzzz said that you can "double up on input devices" to increase the speed "throughput of the router"... I've not yet seen a router with multiple inputs, although that doesn't mean they don't exist...

To me, having a 5MBPS phone acting as a "hot spot" connected to a router (to eliminate the "1 device limitation" of the Visible system) would be "OK for one router connection" but would "be a significant limitation" if there were two or three people, all connected to the router, sharing that "hot spot connection"....

A few months ago, we "heard about a new Verizon unlimited WIFI plan" with no throttle-back speeds.... As I understand it, a few people signed up, spent significant money on "required equipment for that plan", and a few months later, the plan was dropped, leaving them with expensive equipment, and the only alternative plan was "almost like the old plans before they bought into the new one"....

I wonder if this "Visible unlimited data with no throttle-back speeds" will, in a couple of months, start having "exceptions and carve-outs" that make the plan "less than it is today"..... I suppose only time will tell, eh???
Agreed. Thing is, with so many states still "remote schooling" I think all bets are off on what those speeds may actually be.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #22
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
fatcatzzz said that you can "double up on input devices" to increase the speed "throughput of the router"... I've not yet seen a router with multiple inputs, although that doesn't mean they don't exist...
This is the one I use now. https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Band-AiM...090080a8141328
You will notice in the pics there are two USB inputs and a WAN input.
Hope this helps.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #23
rlh1957

Unlimited Data has many meanings.

Unless the provider lays out in their agreement Unlimited Data, 24/7, No Caps, No downgrades, No Throttling or system slowdowns and will state what expected upload and download speeds should be... then don’t be surprised when your Data strength and quality don’t meet your needs.
Even with this guarantee they have many ways to weasel out and deflect the complaints.
Then again my experience can still be affected by how much bandwidth is being pulled from the nearby towers, site I am accessing.
Until the FCC opens up more competition blocks the cellular companies don’t have to offer more or upgrade their networks to be more robust.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #24
Uneasyrider

We use Verizon 55 plus Florida and get unlimited everything on 2 phones for $93 all in. Only thing is hotspots are 600k which is the std streaming number for regular resolution
Uneasyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #25
wiredgeorge

Again, phone companies offer plans and then stop selling these same plans and folks that are grandfathered are gold but those who look at new plans are often disappointed. All plans need to be checked out as has been pointed out. The plan I showed as the OP wasn't cheap but there are a bunch of folks who full time and work from their camper and don't always have decent wifi and a hotspot may not give sufficient volume/speed or quality of data.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #26
lewy64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCayman View Post
Our new RV came with the furrion antenna and router hookup (router had to purchase separately). Their biggest data plan was 10 Gb for 65$ per month. As an IT person, that is way low. Come to find out, the furrion router circuit board is actually an umbrella company of verizon. I swapped out the default sim from Furrion and replaced with Verizon and it worked. This setup is a WIFI/CELL 4G-LTE Setup. It also comes with a GPS tracker. I’m not on the road yet, but will be in less than two weeks and will update my experience with connectivity. Keeping in mind that we are not planning to go off the grid during our travels. I work full time remotely and have to have internet for email at minimum.

I also have the access router. Where is the sim located? In the router or the antenna? Was there any settings to change with the new sim? Does the sim card have to be from a hotspot plan, or can it be a cell sim with data?
lewy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #27
Cire8002

Unlimited Joke

I have the Verizon unlimited jetpack plan. 30 GB goes real quick. Within 24 hours it was gone and they throttled it back to barely usable. I'm holding out for Starlink to get the rest of the satellites up and then kick Verizon to the curb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200813-172308.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	29197  
Cire8002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #28
04ctd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCayman View Post

the furrion router circuit board is actually an umbrella company of verizon. I swapped out the default sim from Furrion and replaced with Verizon and it worked. This setup is a WIFI/CELL 4G-LTE Setup.
can you please clarify/post pics? I have a Verizon Jet Pack, and a winegard 360, but my neighbor next to me has a "KING" WiFi repeater system, and a Tmobile hotspot.

his Wifi Coverage from his RV could serve several families, but the Tmobile jet pack, by itself, does not put out enough RF ooomph to go from RV to RV reliably
04ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:19 AM   #29
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
This is the one I use now. https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Band-AiM...090080a8141328
You will notice in the pics there are two USB inputs and a WAN input.
Hope this helps.
Hi, how would this be installed in our RV? How much amperage would it use off of our 30 Amp set up? RV site here has wifi but it is unsecured and a bit iffy. How can I secure a signal just with for my RV? I have seen others secured on the site. They have their own router? I do have a Linksys N300 that I had in my previous home, can that be hooked up in RV? Thanks
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #30
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I did a quick look at "UNLIMITED" on Verizon and their most expensive plan said UNLIMITED MOBILE HOTSPOT (30 Gigabyes at 4G LTE). I don't understand unlimited but it would have to include a mobile hotspot being unlimited. 30 gigs of data will be binge watching Netflix for less than a week. I understand some Verizon customers may have plans that are no longer available and TRUE unlimited plans. BTW: I am a vet as well and use Consumer Cellular.

You are correct UNLIMITED is a very ambiguous and loosely used word.
As far as it goes your connection Is unlimited... however it isn’t unlimited at the speed all the time.
Fine print has the got-cha.
Maybe 10, 20, 30GB at full speed then it’s throttled back to slower speeds, even to the point that streaming media is hampered or cut.

Noone is offering True Unlimited Unthrottled Bandwidth anymore.
Maybe in the future, with more competition and new tech we won’t get held hostage.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:22 AM   #31
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
You are correct UNLIMITED is a very ambiguous and loosely used word.
As far as it goes your connection Is unlimited... however it isn’t unlimited at the speed all the time.
Fine print has the got-cha.
Maybe 10, 20, 30GB at full speed then it’s throttled back to slower speeds, even to the point that streaming media is hampered or cut.

Noone is offering True Unlimited Unthrottled Bandwidth anymore.
Maybe in the future, with more competition and new tech we won’t get held hostage.

If you read my initial post, the company I mentioned (no personal knowledge) offers the service you say no one offers. Read their spiel and it appears they are really unlimited.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote