Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2020, 05:07 AM   #1
avasquez

30lb Propane Tank Cover

So after going out on my first trip with the new camper I noticed almost everyone had propane tank covers. My camper has a single 30lb tank in the front and it must be rare because I can't find a single 30lb propane tank cover anywhere... I even called the few RV shops near me and no luck.

Every 30lb tank cover online is for dual tanks. Anyone ever have luck finding a single 30lb tank cover? I feel like this is an item that should come with the camper, especially when it's this hard to find!

2020 Springdale 1750RD Rugged Terrain
2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL
avasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:21 AM   #2
Cyberian

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camping-Sto...sAAOSwSQhejSJc

Likely wouldn't arrive very quickly-
Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:24 AM   #3
avasquez

Thanks! I just saw this, kind of sad this seems to be my only option. Didn't realize single 30lb tanks were so rare. I guess I'll have to give this one a go and cross my fingers.

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL
Old 07-22-2020, 05:31 AM   #4
Gobirds38

Here is one.
Search Amazon for this.

QEES 30lb Ventilated Propane Tank Cover, Waterproof Gas Grill Tank Protector, Gas Cylinder Cover Fits 30-Pound Steel Propane Cylinder, Heavy Duty Oxford Cloth MQGZ01

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:31 AM   #5
Cyberian

You could always add a double rack and switching regulator if you've got the weight capacity and tongue room.

Kind of like the old saying "There ain't no such thing as too much truck", there ain't no such thing as too much propane
Old 07-22-2020, 05:43 AM   #6
avasquez

I initially thought about that and even though it's a small 21ft camper, I'm towing with a SUV so trying to keep as much weight off the tongue as possible.

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL
Old 07-22-2020, 06:03 AM   #7
Cyberian

I'm kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum right now. I've grown used to pulling our old Springdale 2560RL with 60 gallons of fresh water under the bed (up front), 2 group 27 batteries in a steel tongue box and twin 40#'s full of propane.

Our new (other brand) are notorious for being tongue heavy and I'm not feeling it, at all. All I've felt over a 1600+mile tow is a wiggling butt trying like heck to twerk
Old 07-22-2020, 06:46 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by avasquez View Post
I initially thought about that and even though it's a small 21ft camper, I'm towing with a SUV so trying to keep as much weight off the tongue as possible.
From what I can find online you are seriously overloaded pulling that camper with that SUV. Camper weight 3,414 lbs. EMPTY, carrying capacity is 986 Lbs so gross trailer weight is 4,400 lbs. Take 13% for tongue weight would be 572 lbs. https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ingdale/specs/

Your Sante Fe tow rating is 2,000 lbs. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...sclient=psy-ab The E2 hitch you list in your signature is not very good at sway control either. I would urge you to investigate the yellow and white door sticker where it says "weight of all passengers and cargo not to exceed xxx lbs." and see what it's rated for.

My SIL and husband had a Sante Fe that they toed a small (I think 8') tear drop trailer. Maybe weighed 1,200 lbs. After 2 years, 3 transmission replacements, 2 alternator replacements, and a blown head gasket they traded in for a 1/2 ton pick up.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:53 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I just pulled up the RV Trader website and looked at about 30 Springdale 1750RD trailers for sale. The all had one propane tank in a "round barrel" type propane carrier and not one of them had a propane tank cover on the tank. I'd guess it was never intended to be OEM equipment on that model series trailer. The majority of 1750's do not have the Rugged Terrain Package, which is an option on the series. One of the components in that RDX package is the changeout of the standard 20 lb propane tank for a 30 lb propane tank. Neither the "standard build" or the "Rugged Terrain build" comes from Keystone with a propane tank cover.

I'd suppose that's part of the "price you pay" for buying a "bare minimum trailer". Springdale and Hideout are the entry level (least expensive) trailers built by Keystone. They simply don't include many of the "standard features" found on the more expensive trailer lines. It's intentional, to keep the price as low as possible, to market that brand to the public in a price range they can afford. Additionally, fewer "bling items" means less weight to tow, which opens the door to towing with smaller, less powerful vehicles. This opens the "purchaser population" to an even greater audience.

Marketing for the Springdale Mini Series is aimed at first time, young family buyers. The RDX package is marketed as a "more rugged option "that shouts off road adventure" (an appealing term aimed more at youthful explorers on a budget than at the typical RV purchaser).

All indications are that Keystone never intended that trailer to be "OEM equipped with a propane tank cover.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberian View Post
You could always add a double rack and switching regulator if you've got the weight capacity and tongue room.

Kind of like the old saying "There ain't no such thing as too much truck", there ain't no such thing as too much propane
I think he's way overloaded now for another 45-50lbs on the tongue, even the fabric cover is likely too much extra weight.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #11
avasquez

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
From what I can find online you are seriously overloaded pulling that camper with that SUV. Camper weight 3,414 lbs. EMPTY, carrying capacity is 986 Lbs so gross trailer weight is 4,400 lbs. Take 13% for tongue weight would be 572 lbs. https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ingdale/specs/

Your Sante Fe tow rating is 2,000 lbs. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...sclient=psy-ab The E2 hitch you list in your signature is not very good at sway control either. I would urge you to investigate the yellow and white door sticker where it says "weight of all passengers and cargo not to exceed xxx lbs." and see what it's rated for.

My SIL and husband had a Sante Fe that they toed a small (I think 8') tear drop trailer. Maybe weighed 1,200 lbs. After 2 years, 3 transmission replacements, 2 alternator replacements, and a blown head gasket they traded in for a 1/2 ton pick up.
I have the Santa Fe XL (tow package) which is beefier than the regular Santa Fe. The XL can tow 5k not 2k.

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL
Old 07-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #12
avasquez

Hi John,

Your explanation of why it doesn't come with a tank cover and what this model's target audience is was spot on. We're in our mid 30's and wanted to get into our first camper that wasn't too big, easy to pull with our SUV and not a big hit on the finances. We bought the rugged terrain package because we liked the sporty look with the off road wheels and some of the other features that weren't included in the regular 1750 model (like a TV and outside speakers).

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL
Old 07-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I have the Santa Fe XL (tow package) which is beefier than the regular Santa Fe. The XL can tow 5k not 2k.
That doesn't change the math in the beginning of my post. " From what I can find online you are seriously overloaded pulling that camper with that SUV. Camper weight 3,414 lbs. EMPTY, carrying capacity is 986 Lbs so gross trailer weight is 4,400 lbs. Take 13% for tongue weight would be 572 lbs. https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ingdale/specs/"

So what does the sticker on the door state is your payload capacity? It's the white/yellow label on the driver's side door pillar that states "maximum passengers and cargo shall not exceed xxx lbs".

With Little SUV's, big SUV's, 1/2 ton and even 3/4 ton trucks it's the payload and rear axle maximum weights that's the limiting factor. The max trailer towing is not applicable to travel trailers. That's a number derived from towing a flat trailer loaded with blocks. That set up will have a low center of gravity, very light tongue weights and very little wind resistance.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #14
avasquez

Quote:
That doesn't change the math in the beginning of my post. " From what I can find online you are seriously overloaded pulling that camper with that SUV. Camper weight 3,414 lbs. EMPTY, carrying capacity is 986 Lbs so gross trailer weight is 4,400 lbs. Take 13% for tongue weight would be 572 lbs. https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ingdale/specs/"

So what does the sticker on the door state is your payload capacity? It's the white/yellow label on the driver's side door pillar that states "maximum passengers and cargo shall not exceed xxx lbs".

With Little SUV's, big SUV's, 1/2 ton and even 3/4 ton trucks it's the payload and rear axle maximum weights that's the limiting factor. The max trailer towing is not applicable to travel trailers. That's a number derived from towing a flat trailer loaded with blocks. That set up will have a low center of gravity, very light tongue weights and very little wind resistance.
Sticker says 1300 lbs if I remember correctly, I'll check when I head out but pretty sure thats the number.

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL
Old 07-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Sticker says 1300 lbs if I remember correctly, I'll check when I head out but pretty sure thats the number.
Good luck with that.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #16
avasquez

Quote:
Good luck with that.
I'm new to all of this so can you help me understand? If payload capacity is 1300 minus the tongue weight which you said is around 572 assuming the TT is at max gross weight puts me at 1300-572=728. Minus my wife and I 728-300 = 400. Minus gas 400-100 =300.

So with the tongue weight, occupants and gas I'm 300Lbs below the payload capacity. Or am I going about this entire thing the wrong way? Please help me understand as I don't want to put anyone at risk when I take the camper out.

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL
Old 07-22-2020, 11:18 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I'm new to all of this so can you help me understand? If payload capacity is 1300 minus the tongue weight which you said is around 572 assuming the TT is at max gross weight puts me at 1300-572=728. Minus my wife and I 728-300 = 400. Minus gas 400-100 =300.

So with the tongue weight, occupants and gas I'm 300Lbs below the payload capacity. Or am I going about this entire thing the wrong way? Please help me understand as I don't want to put anyone at risk when I take the camper out.
If the tongue weight is 572 lbs the weight distributing hitch will be another 125lbs. 572 + 125 = 697 lbs. IF and we don't know unless you look at the sticker on the door, your capacity is 1,300 lbs. then 1,300 - 697 =603 lbs. passengers = 400 lbs. 603 - 400 = 203 lbs.so you have 203 lbs. remaining for fuel, and anything else that wasn't in that vehicle from the factory including any tools, floor mats, stuff in the center console, cups of coffee or soft drinks, sandwitches, your cell phone chargers and cell phones, any accessory added by you or the dealer like mud flaps, step bars, small cooler for drinks, etc. That payload get's eaten up very rapidly.

Looking at the Keystone site again the trailer is a single axle which typically means the hitch weight is a bit higher percentage of the overall weight. They list the empty weight as 3,414 lbs and the hitch weight (again based on the empty weight) as 520 lbs. That's just a shade over 15%. So if we take the fully loaded 4,400 X .15 = 660 lbs tongue weight or another 88 lbs. That 203 lbs of remaining capacity just went down to 115 lbs.

Those numbers aside, strapping a 21' long, 10' high box behind a lightweight short wheelbase SUV is asking for sway. It will end up being a handful with any passing vehicle much less a large truck or any sidewind. The small SUV segment just do not make good travel trailer tow vehicles. They are OK for a small popup or a jet ski, or even a motorcycle on a trailer but not for a large box.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here just letting you know what you're facing. Most of us here may be traveling with larger trucks and trailers but typically we started out where you are, not understanding the weights and limitations. Many of us just hate to see others make the mistakes we made during our journeys.

Like I said, my SIL & her husband had a Sante Fe with a "tow pkg" and the small teardrop trailer they had that was maybe 8' long and 6' tall tore that car up in no time flat. They live in CO and would come east with it every year to visit MD. They thought the little trailer behind the Sante Fe would be great and not cost them a lot in fuel. They were also surprised at the poor fuel consumption with the little R Pod behind. After about 3 years and many issues they decided to get the F150 and they got better mileage pulling the same trailer even though the truck weighs considerably more.

I hope this helps. Personally I wouldn't feel safe driving that with a 21' trailer and certainly wouldn't put my wife in the passenger seat if I did.

JMHO
Old 07-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #18
avasquez

This is what I'm here for, honest feedback so don't feel like you're raining on my parade. I do appreciate all the insight because I'm learning. I did just look at the sticker and can confirm the capacity is 1296. I know that it's tough towing with an SUV. Unfortunately it's the vehicle I have and don't see myself upgrading to a truck anytime soon unless my wife wants one.

To be honest I don't think we'll ever travel at full capacity. Many of the sites we go to have full hookups so maybe 10 or so gallons of fresh water in the tank. Nothing is in the SUV except us and a few snacks. I try to pack all the heavy stuff near the back of the camper (like a cooler of ice) but we are very light packers and try to bring only the essentials to have a good time and get by with bringing no food or beverages home with us lol.

The most we will ever take it is 2 hours away. we're mostly considering finding a seasonal site to just plop it down and go up on the weekends. Our first trip this past weekend went smooth for the most part. Getting to the destination was like butter minus the gas guzzled. I think I had like 10 or 11 mpg. Coming back was slightly more challenging as it was really windy but despite a few sways I stuck to the 55 mph speed limit or slightly under and just let all the speed racers pass us.

FYI, I'm in a lease with my SUV so maybe in two years I'll upgrade to something more appropriate for handling the camper. Again, thank you for the feedback!

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL
Old 07-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
This is what I'm here for, honest feedback so don't feel like you're raining on my parade. I do appreciate all the insight because I'm learning. I did just look at the sticker and can confirm the capacity is 1296. I know that it's tough towing with an SUV. Unfortunately it's the vehicle I have and don't see myself upgrading to a truck anytime soon unless my wife wants one.

To be honest I don't think we'll ever travel at full capacity. Many of the sites we go to have full hookups so maybe 10 or so gallons of fresh water in the tank. Nothing is in the SUV except us and a few snacks. I try to pack all the heavy stuff near the back of the camper (like a cooler of ice) but we are very light packers and try to bring only the essentials to have a good time and get by with bringing no food or beverages home with us lol.

The most we will ever take it is 2 hours away. we're mostly considering finding a seasonal site to just plop it down and go up on the weekends. Our first trip this past weekend went smooth for the most part. Getting to the destination was like butter minus the gas guzzled. I think I had like 10 or 11 mpg. Coming back was slightly more challenging as it was really windy but despite a few sways I stuck to the 55 mph speed limit or slightly under and just let all the speed racers pass us.

FYI, I'm in a lease with my SUV so maybe in two years I'll upgrade to something more appropriate for handling the camper. Again, thank you for the feedback!

I know this is all a bit confusing but you're being told some very good, important information. And you were looking for a propane cover! I hope you understand that when any of us sees a situation that we fear might put someone in danger we try to point that out. Not trying to ruin your, or anyone's, day, just point it out in the event one wasn't aware of it.

You are stuck in a lease for the Santa Fe; own the trailer. Kind of the proverbial rock and a hard place. Before I forget, realize you can return that lease early. The residual assessment they gave you for the trade value was based on the length and mileage of the lease contract. If you bring it in early, under mileage, they give you a reappraisal on the vehicle. I tried a lease on a 17 Forerunner for 3 years. Paid the lease amount up front then brought it in 6 months early and several thousand under the allotted miles; reappraisal gave me 9k more than what I would have got had I kept it to the end of the lease (in 6 mos.)....something to think about.

Stuck with the SUV and trailer....for a bit. You are going to be close to your limits no matter what you do I figure and that's not including the 10%+ safety cushion I recommend. Sounds like you are used to running with a light load (and you need to) in both vehicles. That will help until you can get a heavier, more capable, tow vehicle. The downsides of a small SUV are many when considering towing; for driving around town and getting groceries, good mileage etc. they are great. As a note, I bought my daughter a new one in January so I'm familiar with them.

The SUV presents some problems you can help reduce;

It is just not built for towing. The tires are going to be small, lightweight (think get good mileage) and squishy with a load on them. The springs are soft and will roll and flex. These make towing uncomfortable and dangerous. If possible I would try to put heavier, stiffer tires on if possible - I have no idea what's available as I have zero experience with Hyundai maintenance. Keep the rear tires inflated to the max pressure on the sidewall (not the recommended pressure on the door - they don't know you stuck a trailer back there).

Replace that Fastway e2 hitch with a good 4 point wdh/sway unit. The 2 point is inadequate for the use you are putting it to. I used Equalizer but there are other good ones I'm told. A small, lightweight, short wheelbase SUV can't control that trailer if/when the right gust/push/whip of wind happens.

Drive slow, be attentive and keep both hands on the wheel. I passed a little Toyota Highlander? (wasn't a Prius ) pulling a smaller trailer a couple of days ago. Although the tail was dragging he was trying to do it right; about 45mph with both hands gripping the wheel in a death grip.

Sorry for the long post. Sounds like you are trying to make the best of what you have and want to be safe. I know it's hard to change the recipe once you've put all the ingredients in the bowl. Hopefully some of the thoughts and observations will help you be as safe as possible until you can upgrade that vehicle....and, don't forget to look into the early return on that lease....and tell DW if she likes that Santa Fe she will dearly LOVE that 1/2 ton truck!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #20
avasquez

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I know this is all a bit confusing but you're being told some very good, important information. And you were looking for a propane cover! I hope you understand that when any of us sees a situation that we fear might put someone in danger we try to point that out. Not trying to ruin your, or anyone's, day, just point it out in the event one wasn't aware of it.

You are stuck in a lease for the Santa Fe; own the trailer. Kind of the proverbial rock and a hard place. Before I forget, realize you can return that lease early. The residual assessment they gave you for the trade value was based on the length and mileage of the lease contract. If you bring it in early, under mileage, they give you a reappraisal on the vehicle. I tried a lease on a 17 Forerunner for 3 years. Paid the lease amount up front then brought it in 6 months early and several thousand under the allotted miles; reappraisal gave me 9k more than what I would have got had I kept it to the end of the lease (in 6 mos.)....something to think about.

Stuck with the SUV and trailer....for a bit. You are going to be close to your limits no matter what you do I figure and that's not including the 10%+ safety cushion I recommend. Sounds like you are used to running with a light load (and you need to) in both vehicles. That will help until you can get a heavier, more capable, tow vehicle. The downsides of a small SUV are many when considering towing; for driving around town and getting groceries, good mileage etc. they are great. As a note, I bought my daughter a new one in January so I'm familiar with them.

The SUV presents some problems you can help reduce;

It is just not built for towing. The tires are going to be small, lightweight (think get good mileage) and squishy with a load on them. The springs are soft and will roll and flex. These make towing uncomfortable and dangerous. If possible I would try to put heavier, stiffer tires on if possible - I have no idea what's available as I have zero experience with Hyundai maintenance. Keep the rear tires inflated to the max pressure on the sidewall (not the recommended pressure on the door - they don't know you stuck a trailer back there).

Replace that Fastway e2 hitch with a good 4 point wdh/sway unit. The 2 point is inadequate for the use you are putting it to. I used Equalizer but there are other good ones I'm told. A small, lightweight, short wheelbase SUV can't control that trailer if/when the right gust/push/whip of wind happens.

Drive slow, be attentive and keep both hands on the wheel. I passed a little Toyota Highlander? (wasn't a Prius ) pulling a smaller trailer a couple of days ago. Although the tail was dragging he was trying to do it right; about 45mph with both hands gripping the wheel in a death grip.

Sorry for the long post. Sounds like you are trying to make the best of what you have and want to be safe. I know it's hard to change the recipe once you've put all the ingredients in the bowl. Hopefully some of the thoughts and observations will help you be as safe as possible until you can upgrade that vehicle....and, don't forget to look into the early return on that lease....and tell DW if she likes that Santa Fe she will dearly LOVE that 1/2 ton truck!!
This is an awesome post, thank you! The death grip sounds like me when I was coming home from our first trip and it was so windy on the 90 lol. I def appreciate the info and will certainly look into the stiffer tires. It kind of sucks that all the people I spoke too at the RV dealer I got the camper from didn't go over a lot of this stuff with me. I even told them I want the best equipment that will help my SUV handle this trailer and the e2 was what they sold me on. I guess I should've done more research or joined this group before I purchased the camper or that expensive WD hitch...

For the time being, I'll probably do short trips this year as there are a lot of nice places that aren't far away with beautiful views on lake Onterio (like an hour or less away through country roads) while I look into seasonal spots that way I know I only have to make 2 trips with it next year... there and back!

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL

Tags
cover, propane, tank